1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by MightyToad, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

How is your expedition into LH making coming along?

2. Darkator

Darkator Chieftain

My expedition to LH?

3. Sword_Of_Geddon

Toad is making a new Kamehameha :)

Darkator likes this.
  4. tantanmen

tantanmen Warlord

Go go MightyToad! We're cheering you on :w00t:

Polynesian Great General (WiP).jpg
    (Polynesian Great General - work in progress)

5. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Prince

It's really fantastic. I love it.

6. Sword_Of_Geddon

So do I.......

7. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Prince

Dang, why wasn't I getting updates that things were still happening? Must've been a system error.

I'm working on a Japanese battleship. Sorry, I've been really busy lately, working on making an anime intro to a French guy's upcoming game.

Here is a basic idea for it. What do you think?

Also still doing the curragh too. Have the Ishibiya soldier mostly done too.

Attached Files:

8. Sword_Of_Geddon

That is great news Matsuda, it is good to see you back!

Looking forward to yours and Tantanen's work!

9. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

Here is where I am at with Kamehameha... The pacal animations weren't working out. The two meshes just aren't compatible. Not with Pacals exaggerated expressions. Plan B was to modify the animations to tone them down a bit, but that is actually 100x more work than... Plan C. Start over with the most boring person of all. Mao.
    A problem with all the LDs is they all have 6 year old bodies with adult heads. So the arms are not remotely the same size or location on Kamehameha. So I just cut his arms off. Mao doesn't move his arms at all so that is fine.
    Everything is looking OK with animations, but the I just cannot figure out a problem with the textures and shader. I tried setting it up identical to the vanilla LD. I even imported Mao into blender, exported back out retracing all the steps with Kamehameha. That looked identical to the vanilla. So I must be the textures.
    For now I just set the "Shader" nif to use the nonshader setup, and use the "TLeaderheadShaderNoSkin_20" shader.

Attached Files:

10. Sword_Of_Geddon

He looks fantastic. A lot of leaderhead animations I could think would work well with him. Maybe Peter's? Did saibohlieh offer any tips?

11. tantanmen

tantanmen Warlord

:lol:

This is tremendous, MightyToad.

I've started burning the incense, and now I'm clapping my hands together and praying for a legendary, always helpful LH maker to grace this thread. :)

12. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

Yeah, I think Sabotlieh is my only hope...
    One thing I haven't ruled out is the lighting maybe the problem. Maybe someone with similar skin tone would look better. Asoka, Monty, sitting bull, ECT...

As far as animations I was thinking Hannibal. Although, Peter is cool too. To do this "right" I think you would have to graft Kamehamehas head onto a LH body. Then re-UV that to use his textures.

tantanmen likes this.
  13. Sword_Of_Geddon

There are the natives from colonization as well as an option. See if Saibolieh could give you some pointers in any case. In any case..Kamehameha is looking good. Good enough for a beam struggle. ;)

14. Spillsandstains

Spillsandstains Warlord

thank you for your hard work, your amphibian struggles are appreciated. let me know if you need support with anything.
    upload_2021-3-1_22-49-6.png

always wanted to make this helmet, last time i tried it looked like a jack o'lantern

tantanmen likes this.
  15. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

Thanks. I think it looks more like Greedo with a beard.

tantanmen likes this.
  16. Sword_Of_Geddon

I think the problem you ran into is why most leaderheads are very elaborate reskins or heavily reuse existing material instead of making a new model. Saibolieh coverted leaderheads from other sources, and Melcher(not right spelling I know) also made some leaderheads that did have unique models and animations.

17. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

Well, I didn't actually create anything original here. The model and textures are from Civ 5. The materials are the ones from the vanilla Nif. This is more like trying to assemble a puzzle from two different boxes.
    BTW I had to google "beam struggle". Dragon Ball. :D Vegeta FTW

18. Sword_Of_Geddon

Are you ready..to see a leaderhead not seen...well ever? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Super Saiyan SwordofGeddon!

If you can figure out how to do this with Kamehameha, you could convert Civ5 leaderheads possibly. I'd love Pacal or Montezuma. That being said, you will need a nice long vacation from LHs. Maybe a break from what if with some historical stuff you like. Clippers, Corvettes etc. Ancient Egypt would be pretty simple to make units from, similiar to the Outrigger Galleass and Frigate you did..

Anyways i am EXTREMELY excited for this LH. FYI with ships I will continue to help you with symbols or concepts, very grateful for what you do.

19. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Prince

@Sword_Of_Geddon For my own modeling efforts, please help me remember. I know there was some Civ III mod where there was a Native American chariot. Do you remember what that was?

Additionally, can anyone tell me what the Chinese Rider unit from Civ III is inspired by? Like, where in reality does it come from? China not too well known for their cavalry in history from what I've read...

20. Sword_Of_Geddon

I don't know but you could check the downloads database for something like that. Between Sandris and others a ton of great art was made for Civ3.

In one period in China(Zhongguo)'s long history when they were dealing with the northern horsemen constantly invading, they developed cavalry to counter them, I remember reading that.