1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by MightyToad, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

So lots of armored Mitanni and others floating in pictures above me, but besides the fact the Mitanni are often forgotten and interesting, I had to wonder how things are going with you Toad, what was it you were stuck on?

2. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

The Stargate ships have had my undivided attention. Too many problems to list, but I've spent most of my time troubleshooting. Every time I can't solve something it was because I made an assumption. "I distinctly remember checking that. Can't be that" ....It was that.
    Anyway, the 304's are done I think. Unless Odyssey gets a cloak (no).

Currently on the 303. Still texturing, but nearly there.

Lastly will be the F302. So, will be a while longer.

Attached Files:

Zeta Nexus, pecheneg, rtt4a and 2 others like this.
  3. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

All I have to say is...incredible I'm at a loss for words here. Exactly as I imagined a hovering ship like that to look like.

MightyToad likes this.
  4. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Prince

MightyToad doing the impossible, as usual I see... :)

MightyToad likes this.
  5. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Ah, the good old "That can't happen". Tip from a software developer: Things that can't happen will. Things that physically can happen do. Things you can mathematically prove can't happen always do.

MightyToad likes this.
  6. tantanmen

tantanmen Warlord

We love you MightyToad! :hug:

Spoiler Formidable. Indeed. :D :
    Bra’tac: Perhaps when the warships of your world attack, we may be able—

Carter: Ah ah ah. Excuse me. Did you say, “ships of our world”?

Bra’tac: Surely you have such vessels.

Jackson: Well, we have a number of… shuttles.

O’Neill: Shuttles.

Bra’tac: These “shuttles”, they are a formidable craft?

MightyToad likes this.
  7. BossDaddy

BossDaddy Warlord

Gotta say, Toad, this thread never ceases to amaze. Great work.

MightyToad likes this.
  8. Darkator

Darkator Warlord

I have one question: When I create ship with turret with cannon and I wrap model, but in game turret not rotate.

9. PPQ_Purple

Did you make sure to properly connect the skin modifier so that the turrets are tied to the appropriate bones?

10. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

The example I'm using is for the forward gun of the Stealth Destroyer.

The gun turret has two bones. One for the turret as a whole(Point_Fore_Gun) that turns. The other for the gun barrel that recoils when it fires. The bone for the gun barrel (Point_Fore_Cannon) is a "child" of the turret. So, it will turn with the turret and follow it.
    To expand on what Purple said. Perhaps you haven't rigged it correctly. Perhaps only to the Barrel(Point_Fore_Cannon), or not at all. Can't say for sure without inspecting the Nif itself.

Attached Files:

11. Darkator

Darkator Warlord

this is my nif file

Attached Files:

12. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

By the way, I found a description of Assyrian armor for chariot horses. And a certain number of images

"In the Assyrian period, starting from the IX century BC, plates located on the upper part of the horse's head, which apparently had both a decorative and protective function, became widespread. 10 It is possible that in the last third of the VIII century BC, looped two-part headpieces appeared, which the Assyrians used together with the "pad" placed on the horse's bangs.
    In Assyria and Urartu at the beginning of the IX century BC, there was a two-part all-bronze horse breastplate, which from the middle of this century takes on a monthlike form
    The last element of horse protection mentioned by Xenophon is the nabochnik (parapleurivdion). Pollux explains the meaning of this word (II,167): "weapons near the sides of horses." This item is also a fairly ancient protective detail, known from Egyptian bas-reliefs, tablets from Nuzi, images from Palestine and Cyprus. This part of the armor, most likely, originated from the blanket, which was already reinforced with metal parts in the XV century BC. Later, at the beginning of the first millennium BC, we find whole scaly or lamellar coverings for chariot horses. At the same time, in Assyria, in the first half of the seventh century BC, another type
    of horse protection was developed, made of soft materials and covering the animal from head to tail.
    Since the middle of the second millennium BC, blinkers were quite widespread in the Eastern Mediterranean, and later, in the first half of the first millennium BC, they penetrated from there even to Greece. Usually, the eyecups were made of bronze, and, judging by the Cyprus finds, they could be decorated with an inlaid eye on the outside. However, among the Assyrians and Persians, they were probably not used so often.

tantanmen likes this.
  13. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

Spoiler :

this is far from a masterpiece, but let it be

drawing from a relief with spearmen

original images

MightyToad likes this.
  14. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

Great, :hatsoff:this is just a relatively plausible atmospheric ship for the more or less foreseeable future, in which you will not be able to deal with anti-gravity. But it will be possible to use the lifting capabilities of the atmosphere more successfully. In a modern airliner, a square meter of the wing lifts just a little more than half a ton on takeoff.At the same time, the atmospheric pressure with which you can work is almost twenty times greater- and even a conventional wing does this in three different ways, including increasing the pressure under it. But to do this, we will need surfaces to interact with it.:deadhorse:

15. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

Yeah, in the show these ships use alien technology, and materials not found on earth. So, they require a bit of hand waving to explain how they work. :assimilate:
    Everything is fine with the model, but it is a raw blender export. Not swapped into a working vanilla nif. You still need to copy the trishape, and paste it into the missile_cruiser.nif. The blender export nif is not useable in game because all the skeletal nodes are scrambled up.
    I replaced the material with the one from the missile_cruiser.nif, and pasted its alpha property over. Then replaced it with your trishape.

Also, you don't need all the "NiIntergerExtraData" shaders. You can deselect "Export extra shader textures" during export in blender to avoid that.

Attached Files:

pecheneg likes this.
  16. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

Yes, to invent a theory of flying very large ships without anti-gravity, but with aerodynamic surfaces is not difficult:hammer2:. You can, for example, ionize air and 1. attract it to the lower side of the plane 2. accelerate it to high speeds over the upper side. At the same time, it is enough to change the pressure by 25% on each side to... Lift the Yamato into the air using two thirty-meter planes along the entire body (the maximum width of the Yamato is 38 m). At the same time, nothing prevents you from creating additional thrust, throwing the "upper" air flow down, as in a conventional wing. This is a static option. When acceleration everything will be even more interesting... In general, we are just beginning to fly normally in the atmosphere:old:.

17. Darkator

Darkator Warlord

18. Darkator

Darkator Warlord

MightyToad likes this.
  19. PPQ_Purple

You don't need to go that complicated. All you need is brute force. After all, that's how we got a man to the moon. Of course it's not going to be terribly fuel efficient and environmentally friendly but it'll work.

20. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

Yes, with a thrust-to-weight ratio of more than one, even a fence will fly. But it will be about twice as uneconomical as a Chinook or Mi-26 helicopter. The Yamato will have to supply 7,300 engines from the F-22 plus another 1,300 to compensate for the weight of the engines themselves:D. And they will consume about 35 thousand tons of fuel per hour, 1/2 the weight of the battleship. Naturally, this is lowtech, but the degree of uneconomical solution is huge.