[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by MightyToad, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus <{[(Nexus)]}>

Oh, I thought that was a Lama head for an Inkan ship :blush:

2. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

By that time for seagoing vessels they would simply use the junk design, as can be seen in this reconstruction: https://www.toppan.com/en/news/2017/12/newsrelease171218.html

Also as can be seen in this picture https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._Wat_Suwan_Dararam_-_Section_02_(2116_BE).jpg ; though it can also be seen that the war canoe design didn't go anywhere either, and generally didn't use sails. Instead of a sail, I'd suggest putting some deck superstructure on top: http://164.115.22.96/eng/images/Heritage/Ayutthaya/p200_2.jpg

Chinese shipbuilding techniques have spread very widely by that time, and basically all of continental SEA can be thought of as using junks (as opposed to maritime SEA with their own indigenous shipbuilding tradition, though still influenced by China quite heavily). Ayutthaya of that time was actually very open to outside influences, and almost anything could go - samurai-crewed European war galleon? Easy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamada_Nagamasa

3. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Arbiter of the Sword

It would work as an early ship, either way no doubt its a fantastic bit of work here by Toad, whether or not he would like to do more with that ship or region is up to him but either way Im happy.

Thankyou for the historical information fyi. In my own mod SEast asian civs do use junks. I try to keep them different from China. I have to say between Seast asia, china, korea, japan etc each of those has its own ship style, very diverse region.

4. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

I actually based the tail on a Thai Royal Barge since I couldn't really see the tail in any of the reference pics.
    Thai_Royal_Barge.jpg

These don't look to be very sturdy boats. An actual warship like a trireme would plow through them like speed bumps. They are more like ceremonial river barges than anything.

5. Sword_Of_Geddon

There were the royal barges, but also the vividly decorated war canoes, which were river warships that fought similiarly to the egyptian ships that battled the sea peoples(arrows then hand to hand combat with enemy ship). They were an earlier era of warships than the Trireme. In the Bronze Age arrow firing and then boarding the enemy vessel was the tactic, UNTIL the invention of the ram on the ship, not sure when that happened but I know the Trireme was not the first to do this.

So the ships of classical antiquity would indeed plow into a fleet of war canoes, just like a Galleas decimated normal sailing gallys much later.

Demonstrates how combat looked.

Your awesome version with sails Toad, is the Trireme more or less. You said you thought it didnt look good without sails? Maybe a no sail version, but would set its size to smaller in the XML

Anyways have fun and do whatever. Thankyou for making this. It is a fun ship :)

6. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

It was more or less the Penteconter that were the first ships to use rams. Dating roughly to the 8th century B.C. which would be the Archaic Period/Iron Age in Greece.

The Penteconter is essentially an earlier form of the Trireme and Bireme that has only one row of oars along the hull on both sides (Biremes having two, Triremes having three).

damian-klosek-penteconter-5.jpg

7. Sword_Of_Geddon

Mycenaen era. Toad made some nice Pentaconter era ships awhile back.

8. Sword_Of_Geddon

I think Matsuda wanted to tackle African ships(what if since they mostly dont exist beyond canoes). Was wondering what projects your working on, are you smashing N.America in a civ game again?

9. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

I've been preoccupied with RL stuff lately. I was thinking about how to do the requests for a goose and an android in the request thread. No ideas.

As for the game itself. I haven't played in a while. I have a ton of new units downloaded to integrate. Also, upgrade to advciv 1.0. But, I haven't got around to that either.

10. Sword_Of_Geddon

I have times when I dont play either, either from lack of interest(cived out) or Im doing something else so its understandable.

Lately, Walter has been converting AOE3 Remastered stuff to Civ4. One idea I had was more S.American(not Mesoamerican) ships,

Its based on these:

if your interested, here is his converted unit:

Attached Files:

11. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

By the way, do you want an almost unattended ship? I found in Fall from Heaven 2 something strongly resembling a typical "light" frigate of the 17th - early 18th centuries. As far as I've seen, it's forgotten and not used in other mods. If find fault, the gun ports are located too low in the model, but this is for major flotophiles:D.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  12. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Isn't it one of the EU4 conversions? They have early frigates covered: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/european-ship-pack.29334/

13. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Check my unit module for RiFE to see if I did something with it. Odds are good that I have.

14. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

It doesn't look like there's a noticeably more glamorous unit. It's called the "queen of the line". At the same time, I can't figure out where it is in the files at all (I unpacked the FPC).

15. PPQ_Purple

Oh, I know that one. I definitively did a complete skin of that one for my units module.

16. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

She? Yes, I finally got an album:crazyeye:

By the way, yes, it could pass for a Class 4 (?) battleship. But 1. early, mid-17th century 2. Those were wider (1/3), this was given more "cruising" proportions.

17. Sword_Of_Geddon

I just was offering that s.American native ships(NOT Mesoamerican) are largely nonexistant, offered some pictures, and I was pleasantly surprised that Walter had converted one such ship, which may be of help to Toad if he so chooses on sailing the southern waters so to speak.

18. pecheneg

pecheneg Warlord

I understood. I just have your mod, and when it came to ships, suggested the unit that found. The ship is really interesting. In the mods very bad, but the ships of the 16th century are represented, and then follows the leap to the classic sailboat of the second half of the 18th - 19th centuries. Meanwhile, 1. The 17th century was very different in design 2. Then there were classes that completely disappeared in the classical era. For example, battleships/ships of the line 4th class. The last time they were actively used in the War of Independence of the United States, but already as a kind of gunboats, for actions in shallow water.

19. PPQ_Purple

I do not quite understand what you are saying since your english very broken. So I am not sure if you are talking to me or him. So I shall reply in case it was meant for me. If not, ignore this post.
    And in case it was meant for me, yea, totally. My ship "designs" are all over the place as I wanted to have them match the fantasy esthetic of the various races. So often they just wouldn't make much sense at all in vacuum. Like some civs have 1 row of cannon for their frigates and others 2 or even 3. But than those first ones might just have fireballs to compensate. :)

Also, just in case you are talking about the base CIV again, yea totally. The naval combat in vanilla civ is pathetically weak. Like, it basically combines all of the age of sail in one unit line merging several centuries into one ship. The game treats ironclads like glorified monitors instead of the massive step forward toward modern warships. It completely skips the predreadnaught era and merges the many generations of warships into one. And it does not even have a distinction between modern and old carriers.

20. Sword_Of_Geddon

The ship i shared was from Total Realism, which Walter converted I think from the new version of AOE3. Its an andean reedship. Alot of designs for those. Some had sails, others had one or two animal headed fronts much like Toad's Phoenix Ship or the Viking Longship. The heads could be Puma, Llamas etc.

Its just an idea I had because S.America doesn't have the representation navy wise, and I figured if there is a model to work with it makes things easier for Toad if he decides to tackle Reedship designs of his own.