Mighty Suryavarman II

vranasm

Deity
Mighty Suryavarman II

"The 11th century was a time of conflict and brutal power struggles. Only with Suryavarman II (reigned 1113–1150) was the kingdom united internally and extended externally. Under his rule, the largest temple of Angkor was built in a period of 37 years: Angkor Wat, dedicated to the god Vishnu."

Leader:
Suryavarman II
Traits:
Creative - border pops, cheaper library, theathre
Expansive - health, cheaper granary, cheaper worker

Ballista Elephant - consistentely voted one of weakest UU's
Baray - +1F aqueduct

Victory condition
Any the team decides if the rules are completed.

Rules

1) We are bound to find either of Hinduism or Taoism in the course of game. Capturing holy city doesn't count

2) To honor the greatness of the Khmer Empire we have to rule over 40% of the land according to victory screen when we reach the victory condition (whatever it will be)

3) We are bound to build the greatest of the wonders the Angkor Wat.

4) At the time of the victory condition our army should have presence of 10 Ballista Elephants with at least 1 of them over 20 experience.

Settings

Start

Rivals
6, all random ;-)

Roster

Me
Ororo
Lymond
Rusten
nocho
open
???

Turnset length - variable. I like shorter though.

Actually, the Elephant rule makes it a bit more challenging. Nothing we can't handle. I hope :D.

Vranasm, you can count with me.

Actually, the Elephant rule makes it a bit more challenging. Nothing we can't handle. I hope :D.

Vranasm, you can count with me.

great... with already being at least 2 it starts to look like we have a SG going... hoping for more jumping in of course ;-)

I have the same meaning about ivory. We surely can trade it, don't tech guilds/MT until we have ivory through some other warfare etc.

it's not like ivory costs you 50g.

The only complication would be if there was no ivory at all. But I think pangea should spawn at least 1 source. I obviously didn't check.

you know I'm playin' ;)

rules sound interesting...the map is looking less so :<

I doubt there is ivory this far north, but who knows....i would rather have assurance of ivory before playing (maybe shyuhe can do a map check, unless he wants to play)

settling on the marble seems logical, although that deer tile looks very bad. at the least it could be forested...aaarg I would whip the scout up to the tundra hill to make sure we don't pick up a ton of crap tiles by settling the marble, should we decide to do so.

rules 1 and 3 have a bit of synergy

I'll play assuming you'll have me and someone checks the map for ivory. It does not need to be close and there does not need to be more than 1 source, but it needs to be somewhere obviously.

thanks kossin for checking.

I assume then I can write in the roster L and Rusten.

Any particular demands for order?

Still open! I think at least 1-2 more players are always welcome.

I think I'd just SIP and hope the RNG has something else in the fog for us (didn't gaze it yet, hope it's not only forest in 2nd ring). I think settling on marble will just gives us too many light and dark brown tiles. Scout could check that, but for me it can also go south. I don't think we'll win or lose this game over the scout move. :p

I'm fine to be placed anywhere in the roster btw.

I was thinking about moving the scout 1SW-1W on the hill (should in theory see more).

I like SIP or on Marble.
On Marble should get better city tile (quicker worker even more with the PH 1st ring and we already have hunting) and the deer isn't THAT bad tile.

could be strong start with wet wheat if we tech agri first.

with the relative position to world the capital will be always somewhat weaker imo.

I like SIP or on Marble.
On Marble should get better city tile (quicker worker even more with the PH 1st ring and we already have hunting) and the deer isn't THAT bad tile.

Lurker: That looks like a second floodplain down 2S of the scout, so I'd recommend settle 1W so that you can get the food for all the plains tiles you have. The extra river tiles for commerce would also help early game. Deer isn't that bad, as you say, although I am miffed that it isn't in a forest. Still better that is a shield to commerce trade, so it isn't that bad. Lastly, you get to work the marble tile, which is better than sitting on it in the long run.

On 2nd thought I also like 1NW or 1W better. It seems it's all forest in the 2nd ring with SIP but for the tile 2E1S, which is a grass hill. Might have pigs on it, but might as well not have anything. Do hope the tile 1S is horses though... Anyway, the camped deer indeed is like a farmed FP so not all that awful. Besides it's some extra commerce which in place looks extremely low. If the tile 2S is indeed a FP (looks like it), might indeed prefer 1W, despite losing a turn. At least it'll have 2 FPs, a farmed FP (=deer :D) and the wheat and some more commerce from the marble quarry. Nothing to write home about, but in place surely could be considerably worse. Also if we settle 1W we can work the 3h tile to get a discount on the worker, which we wouldn't get in place until the border pop (which admittedly comes quicker being creative). On the marble is an option, although would have slightly less food and commerce in the long run and possibly some horrible tiles up north. It will have a very quick worker though. In any case, agriculture first is a no brainer.

we should probably first settle the scout move... I will move the scout once we meet consensus (Ororo, L & Rusten are part of the decision), repost the map and we will see.

I offer the scout move 1SW->1W.

So I think everyone should voice his opinion on this.

(we could find some nonvisible resources, so speculating about settling is a bit counterproductive at this point ;-)
)

Moving the scout west doesn't really offer up much more info than we already can see, unless we plan to move the settler quite a distance. Moving the Scout north on the other hand helps confirm a move onto the marble

While the flood plain in the south is nice, settling on marble still provides 1 FP and the like Deer tile, keeps the wheat, adds the (farmable)grassland tile the settler is currently on. Also, we clearly see at least 1 if not 2 grass tiles in the north despite the fact that we know its probably tundra beyond that - doesn't really matter. On the marble also adds the very nice riverside grasshill.

So you have four hills and enough food to work it plus a bonus center tile, while it appears we only give up a possible resource on a 1 hill in the fog east - everything else is forested. (might give up a deer -who knows)

So I'm for moving the sout 1NW/1N with the intent of settling on the marble, unless it looks really bad, which I doubt. It already looks pretty good - all things considering. Doesn't look like much of a smorgasbord any way you look at it.

and note that the deer is something that can be improved right away

There could indeed be pig/sheep on the hill to the east, but even if there is it's not the end of the world to miss it early.

I like settling on the marble. This is not going to be a great capital either way so I'd look for short term benefits and find someplace else to put our palace.

In this case the short term benefit is on the marble for +1 hammer early. It also allows for building the oracle without teching the wheel, which may or may not come into play.

RE: scouting: I just don't see any scout move that could change my mind. We won't find anything. The only thing that could change my mind is to wait 1 turn on the marble while the scout checks the eastern hill in the current BFC, but not sure if that's worth it, we're still getting a lot from moving -- I may want to move even if there is pigs there and definitely if it is sheep.

I can agree with 1SW 1W for the scout simply to start exploring.

well yeah, I can agree to moving the scout west if we agree to settle on marble anyway, since ultimately scouting north early is not a priority other than a tile check.. I think on the marble will be fine.

I will leave the scout move for tomorrow to allow Ororo to sneak in with his thoughts.

I think we seem to slowly settle towards the scout moving as I offered (and settling on the marble).

I was thinking along the same lines as lymond (1NW/1N) but it's not necessary as the majority wants to settle on Marble anyway. So I pretty much agree with 1SW1W...

Btw. we won't even gain too many crappy tiles by settling on Marble. 2N and 2N1E are grassland tiles and 2N1W is a plains tile by the looks of it.

Top Bottom