Migrate from Civ 4 to 6

I should begin by saying that I am not a very good player. The highest level at which I can win more-often-than-not is Prince for Civ 4, and Emperor for Civ 5 and 6. I like to play in short sessions so I have never tried multiplayer at all. Moreover, I really tried to be good at Civ 4, and to a lesser extent Civ 5, but for Civ 6 I lack motivation to try to play well. I view Civ 6 more like a fun game than a strategy game. I own the Civ 6 Platinum Edition and I play using the Gathering Storm rule-set.
I tried learning Civ 6 without using knowledge from these Civ Fanatics forums, and I found it relatively difficult. The main difficulty is that the game is filled with content and the in-game information is not super-informative, so I found it difficult to know what would work best (or even what the effect of certain actions would be). However, I did easily realize that the AI was (and still is, I believe) uniquely bad at combat, so I could often salvage a win by warring even if I had played badly in other respects. I later tried using some of the knowledge posted on these forums, and this made the game much easier to win.
I view Civ 6 as an ambitious project, with lots of content, which is still a work in progress. The game is still receiving monthly patches and/or content updates, and still feels a bit like a beta version that is still being tested, balanced, bug-fixed etc. They have announced that they will re-balance 2/3 of the civs in April, so I am currently waiting for that release before I try the game again.

Last edited:
Civ VI is quite complex, but many mechanisms are somehow boring, pointless, or just weird compared to Civilization 4. They may look interesting on paper, but the reality is different.
There are parts of Civilization VI that I like, but many concepts should be reworked. Don't get me wrong, Civilization 6 is an interesting turn-based strategy, but I liked Civilization 4 more.
Especially for Android, Civilization VI is probably the best game of this type that you can buy.
But if there was Civilization 4 for Android, I would prefer Civilization 4 over Civilization 6.

Describing a lot of Civ VI mechanics as pointless is a good summary - I'd say there's no meaningful integration of them and the AI has no clue how to use most of them.

I struggle beating Civ 4 on Noble difficulty. Like, it's a great game and all, but don't think I've ever rerolled/ragequit as often in any game as I have in Civ 4 (and I've played both X-Com games).

Same here 0 still love playing Earth12 civs map for a challenge.

I like Civ V (including its art style) better than VI. Am I one of these "rabid fans"? If not, could you point me to where I might find them? :)

I agree that the criticism of Civ VI's art style, in the early days of Civ VI, was a bit overblown. That's not to say people were/are not allowed to dislike how it looks, but some people seemed to act as if it made the game unplayable. These days, however, I see more people complaining about the people complaining about the art style, than I see people actually complaining about the art style. I've personally always thought Civ VI looks good, even if I did like the way Civ V looked a bit better.

My main complaint about VI at this point, is that while we are getting lots and lots of content, so many systems have little to no interaction with each other, and many could do with some refinement, which they will likely never get.

Civ IV just needs a facelift and graphics update. Civ VI is way to cartoonish and appeals to the console crowd.

Top Bottom