Mil Advisor lists too many units

Posidonius

Civherder
Not sure if anyone has figured out why this happens, but i noticed something odd recently. Still in BC years, and the Military Advisor page reported that i had 2 Militia and 2 Catapults. In fact i only had one of each. Here's the thing, both of them were units of NONE, meaning that i bought them off another civ. All the other numbers of "active" units were correct, and all tied to one of my cities. Could this be the source of the Mil Advisor's counting being off?

In many games, i'll end with no Phalanxes in 2040 AD, but the Mil Advisor reports a couple. Could it be that a unit of NONE is tallied as two when you bribe it, and when that unit is killed or disbanded the list is only reduced by one?

Found an old thread where it was decided that these phantom units do not count towards your 128-unit limit, so i'm not concerned, just curious.

On a related note, do SpaceShip parts count towards your 128-unit limit? Wouldn't think so, but it seems that whenever i get the SS going, have an increasingly difficult time with the unit limit. Is this a real effect, or just a side effect via the fact that when the SS is possible the civ has grown so large that i'd be having that kind of trouble anyway?

On the latter point, about SS: Spaceship parts are treated like city improvements. They definitely do not count as units. In my current test game with max units, I just forced Apollo then went to space race mode. Cities building military units e.g. MI failed: the excess unit was not built. On the same turn the cities building spaceship all successfully produced a Module, a Component and a Structural. So I think the answer is, you'd have that sort of trouble anyway.

(I rarely have issues with units: in most of my games I have <20 cities and a really big invasion army for me is 30-40 Diplomats, Armor & MI rampaging across an opponent's land, for a total military of 60-80 units. Only once before now, and that a very long time ago, did I ever reach the units limit. That was when I had over 100 cities spread across an Earth. Then I upgraded my Civ version from 474.01 to 475.05 and having lots of cities suddenly became a PITA. So I changed tactics.)

The Military Advisor's count of units has nothing to do with your unit limits. It's just a set of numbers maintained by the game, and there seems to be no effort made to synch it with the actual count of units.

You may be onto something that bribed units are counted twice, though. I just bribed one enemy Settler but gained two Settlers in my MA's Settler count.

You may be onto something that bribed units are counted twice, though. I just bribed one enemy Settler but gained two Settlers in my MA's Settler count.

:lol: everytime i think i learned something, either i have to unlearn it right away because it's not true, or there's exceptions to the rule! Have a Cavalry, only one, from NONE, and it counts as 1 in the Mil Advisor's list, not 2. But, i believe that Cav came from a village and not from Bribery. The Militia and Catapult, however, i am certain i bribed off the Greeks.

Come to think of it, don't think i've ever seen a village yield a Catapult. They only seem to give me Legions, Cavs and Militias. I scoop them up pretty quick, so don't know what a hut would give me later in the game, when i can build more modern units.

Wait, you've received a Militia from a hut? I don't think so! :p

I've never got anything better than a Cavalry or a Legion, even late in the game. Logically, once Barbarians have Kniggits and Musketeers then you should get those instead (to compensate you for the risk of finding your hapless explorer surrounded by Barbarian Musketeers and Knights), but it doesn't seem to work that way.

I've never got anything better than a Cavalry or a Legion, even late in the game. Logically, once Barbarians have Kniggits and Musketeers then you should get those instead (to compensate you for the risk of finding your hapless explorer surrounded by Barbarian Musketeers and Knights), but it doesn't seem to work that way.

According to this thread, tribal huts only give Cavalry or Legion units: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=510312

According to this thread, tribal huts only give Cavalry or Legion units: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=510312

Thanks for the info, if you know the forum pretty well, do you know any other threads which can explain why my game won't respawn new civs from 1010 to 1750 AD?

Hehee, the disclaimer of ignorance was built right in: "Come to think of it," which means i never really thought about it before. Yesterday, if you'd asked me if i ever got a Settler out of a hut, i'd'a said: "Yep, i think i did once." :eek:

Thanks for the info, if you know the forum pretty well, do you know any other threads which can explain why my game won't respawn new civs from 1010 to 1750 AD?

This is important information for me as well, as I'm trying to get CivOne as close to the original game as possible. I'm not exactly sure yet, though.

There is one thing I can think of: After the year 1AD, the game will only respawn Civs on an empty continent.

Top Bottom