1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Militaristic city state question.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by firecat318, Nov 25, 2010.

1. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

I'm getting a unit every 16 turns from allied CS in the medieval era. I'm thinking the spawn rate increases slightly with eras like the other CS bonuses, possibly -1 turn every era. I'm currently playing a military CS heavy game so I'm gonna check it out. I got 3 CS allies which averages around 1 unit every 5-6 turns.

Military CS get more useful as time goes on since it scales with technology and era. Late era units are quite expensive :hammers: wise.

2. kossmikman

kossmikman Chieftain

Militaristic city-states are nice, but I wouldn't spend gold on them just for the units. I ally with them with the missions or with gold when I need a resource they have.

3. Razzlesnaff

Razzlesnaff Warlord

The reason people find Militaristic City States to be of less quality is because Maritime and Cultural give a constant bonus. Military City States only give one unit per every dozen or so turns or so. And it's random. You could get a scout or you could get a tank. However it doesn't seem to be entirely random. I only seem to get scouts if I have none and I have something to explore. If I have one exploring I don't seem to get scouts from the City State. I think there might be some formula for the amount of scouts you have vs the land you have yet to explore. But don't quote me on that, because I'm likely wrong and I'm just spouting anecdotal evidence.

That said Military City State's value increases as time goes on. Ally yourself with 3 or more Militaristic City States in the Industrial Era or later and tell me you don't like seeing a free infantry every 5-6 turns.

Their biggest advantage is that it lets your cities focus on something besides units. Ever been in the middle of a war and you can't build Markets/Banks to fix your broken economy because you have to crank out a unit every build? A military city state would have been ideal there.

4. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I've obtained Khan great generals from the great people from city states social policy on occasion.

I like military city states. Especially for the fact that they can usually help me in a war if they are on the way.

5. Soronery

Soronery Prince

As a bonus provider, they suck. Unless you beelined rifling and they give you a couple free rifles they suck.
    They give you 1 unpromoted unit every 17 or so turns.
    3 possibilities.

1. You get an outdated unit
    2. You get a current unit but has no promotions.
    3. You get a scout.

In the modern era you should be producing units with +45 xp or at least +30 xp from the get go. The AI usually has these buildings and pump out doubly promoted units.

They just arn't worth the gold. Better to get a quest to kill them then take the city and free influence.

6. Varanid

Varanid Warlord

I've gotten units I didn't have the resources for (neither did the city state!). It was a tank. I've also gotten one GDR when I didn't have uranium (50% penalty? Pfft, still uber powerful). Generally they're decent, the only problem is that sometimes you'll get cavalry late game. Next patch is supposed to give cav an upgrade path so that won't matter so much.
    I also see them gift units with promotions later game. Only one promotion but eh.

EDIT: The best use? Bribe them for a beach head on another island or continent :p friendly terrain, covering fire and occasional reinforcements. Plus the have seemed more likely to have and use a military than other CSs ;t hey won't usually go and take opposing cities, but they're more likely to kill enemy units inside their borders so it helps you have a safe spot to land...

7. hellboy909

hellboy909 Chieftain

I've found this super useful with all the CS types. A place for my units to heal and upgrade far from home can be priceless.

8. Yzman

Yzman Deity

This isn't true. Very often I get units from them that I can give 1 or 2 promotions to instantly. They can build barracks etc just like any other city. If anything this is better than the units I produce myself because I never waste money/resources on barracks.

9. Razzlesnaff

Razzlesnaff Warlord

1. You usually don't. And if you do it's not that bad. It's usually just a Swordsman instead of a Longswordsman. If you can't find a use for that Swordsman then you're not looking hard enough. Your opponents do not have every unit up to date. Even if they somehow managed to update their whole army, just use the Swordsman as a finisher.

2. Not true. You simply aren't playing the same game that I am or haven't played around with Military CS enough. They build barracks and armories. You'll get two free promotions.

3. This only seems to happen if you have little or zero scouts and some unexplored area.

Like I said before, people value Martime and Cultural CS more simply because it gives a constant bonus. You get something every turn. Military CS are impressive and I make allies of them anytime I'm warmongering.

10. Carnage04

Carnage04 Warlord

I might be remembering things wrong because this was a few weeks ago, but I swear I received an infantry before I had the tech to make an infantry.

11. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Yer I'm pretty sure I got a Cannon before I had Chemistary in one of my games. I was very gratefull, unlike Japan who were on the reciving end!

For me it matters even more what the personality of the CS is when its a Mil CS as its already at the bottom of my CS priority list. Only Neutral or Friendly will do as a rule (though if a mission is easy to complete then I'll take the tempory friend).

On a more general CS comment I have started to set only 8-10 rather than 16 on the standard size maps as it gives you more reason to build farms and cultural buildings esspecially early on when you might not have met a Maritime CS or a Cultural CS. I've been enjoying the game alot more this way and it seems to mean that my preffered city spacing or 3/4 tiles is a stronger strategy. I've also seen more of the AIs with CS allies with lower CS numbers. Maybe this is just anicdotal though.