Military Academies, Renaming City Imprvmnts and Small Wonders, and Forbidden Palaces

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by G-Force Junkie, Aug 3, 2003.

1. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Old Vulcan Guy

1. The main point of military academies in general is to provide the military officers with knowledge specifically pertaining to military tactics and operation. Point is that military academies provide services officers that improve the operations of the units. In C3C, in addition to the Military Academy, their could also be a Naval Academy and an Air Force Academy. The Military Academy could provide all domestic built cities with barracks, the Naval Academy could do the same with harbors, and the Air Force Academy could do that with airports.

2. Being able to rename city improvements and small wonders within particular cities would be nice, like giving airports individualized names.

3. It would be nice if you could get Forbidden Palaces for every particular number of cities. This would be great if you could segment your empire into provinces.

2. Furius

Furius Prince

I especially want the last one, I have stuggled for many years giving each city in a "province" a specific ending, this would help that.

3. Startaff

Startaff Shogun

Well, in my 1st game I decided to give cities fantasy names and I added a "post code" number at the end of each name to better recall them.
    Actually, this could better implemented by giving different "post codes" according to their place on the map (i.e. region/province), which would make it easier to find them when you got lots of cities (I built more than 100...)

4. nalves

nalves sailing in a NAU

That would change the game completly, making it much more easy ... Corruption wouldn't exist in high terms .....
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Of course that I hate the corruption in my far away cities, but that comes with the game .... Keep it that way :mad:

5. sealman

sealman Hater of Babylonians

nalves: I agree with you. If you want lower corruption, lower the slider in the editor.

BUT: if a province system is used, as Furius has suggested in countless other posts (I am assuming that was you Furius) than you would need a FP, or something similar, for each province. If this is done, I would like to see the whole province go to another civ if teh FP city is captured.

6. EddyG17

EddyG17 King

it will make some sense if you lose a whole province and gain one if you capture the ai's FP city

7. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Not agreed that it would make sense. Would, say, the entire state of California suddenly surrender to an enemy if Sacramento fell? Hmmm, let me think...NO.

Plus, where do you deliminate where the province borders are?

Forbidden Palace should be kept as it is. However, what could be added is a Provincial Administration city improvement which would have an hefty build cost but nullify corruption and waste in the city it's in, and half it (cumulative with other corruption-killing improvements) in all cities within X square of the Provincial Administration.

Of course, there woudl be stringent requirement for building a Provincial administration (such as "may not be within less than X squares of another P.A.") I could also see it consuming some points of food from the city it's built in - the administrators of the province tax the city's food ressources, without doing much cultivating themselves.

8. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

ODANABUNGABANGA:

what did you think of my suggestion that corruption should be tied to cultural influence, so that high levels of cultural influence negate corruption in surrounding cities. it may be too late to incorporate this in civ3, but i think this would be better than building specific improvements and would be more realistic.

(and ill also throw in here a plug for the idea that new independent civs should be able to be created through revolt of cities)

9. Furius

Furius Prince

@ Oda Nobunaga: That is brilliant, absolutly perfect, now if only I could force them to implement it.

10. DisruptiveIdiot

DisruptiveIdiot Prince

Maybe you can!

*hands Furius a Shotgun and a couple of shells*

I'd really like to see more realistic representations of free trade. As of now your population can't choose to start a business or choose to farm or anything. And one civy equaling 20,000 people seems unrealistic don't you think?

11. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Prince

Have you all seen the screen shots? They've got a WWII Pacific scenario!!! :D Can't wait!

Also, does anyone know if they're putting in the Provincial Capitals? I've heard of that, and have had quite a few ideas myself; I'd REALLY like to see it in the game.

Also, maybe they've heard my pleading and decided to put in a diplomacy modifier in the CivEdit? Just maybe? :D

A still tongue is a whole one around my house!

12. EddyG17

EddyG17 King

well i can't imagine california to surrender but i can imagine the US losing thier capital and surrender, i mean you lost the capital the war is OVER, and i can also imagine if tennesse lost,florida ( my home state) to surrender. because every body wouldve have been called to defend the capital

13. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

Extra FPs to reduce corruption can be modded. I have scenarios with 6 extra palaces. I'd post them, but I haven't worked out all the bugs yet (the bugs are not palace related).

14. Justin_Sane

Justin_Sane Chieftain

While I don't agree with the FP idea (corruption and waste are important parts of the game) and think the second idea would have negligible impact on gameplay so it wouldn't really be worth the programmers' time. However, the first idea for Naval and Air Force academies, I like. I actually thought about this at one point, wondering why there were armies, but not fleets or fighter wings.

15. steviejay

steviejay Now in Black and White!!

I want fighter wings. It would be a HUGE time saver when you have about 100 bombers. And fleets......... well I don't think there is anyone here who likes using naval units who wouldn't like fleets

16. Xen

Xen Magister

I dont know about anyone else, but i would like the milatary acadamy to come earlyer for milataristic civs, like rome, who had large highlly trained officer cores

17. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Old Vulcan Guy

Yes, I agree that fighter wings and naval battle groups would be great to have in the game to make naval and air combat more efficient, and the militaristic civs should get military academies earlier than the rest. My question is which tech would they get military academies at? Would seafaring/militaristic civs get naval academies at an earlier date also?

18. DisruptiveIdiot

DisruptiveIdiot Prince

Actually Washington D.C. was captured by the British in the War of 1812 (tell me when that war started ;) ) Don't you know your own countries history?

19. Dman4eva

Dman4eva My Name Says It All

I think losing your capital should act as a reverse Golden Age for your civ, with out a stable central government production in food, money, and materials would all decrease.

I also like the idea of provincial capitals. It would allow for lower corruption in the province, and if that city were captured it would do the same to the province as losing the capital would do to the nation instead of just losing your whole province.

20. tctatheel7

tctatheel7 Running Silent, and Deep

That's a good idea;)