Military Academy Question

Originally posted by Wakboth
Duke. Do you really need 7 armies? Really? I just don't see it. What can you accomplish with 7 armies that you couldn't do with 6? How significant is that extra army really? I'm betting, not that much. I can almost guarantee you that with a 24 city civilization, 6 armies is too much. You'd have been better off building maybe 3 or 4 and using the 15-20 extra builds you didn't waste building armies on other units. For example, I'd much rather have 3 armies and use the saved shields to stack the 8-10 cats/trebuchet/cannon/arty on *each* of them that I could have built instead. All for the same approximate shield cost.

Dunno. Different strokes for different folks. I just consider it a huge waste to use a GL to build an army when you could use it for something else. There's a reason you build military academy. Presumably because it's "better" to build an army with shield production then by blowing a GL on one. If it wasn't, then the game would make armies cost shields to produce at the start, and make you have to build a wonder to allow you to use GLs to convert to armies instead. Think about it...

I've had 9 Armies with the Chinese before. You can do ALOT of damage with this guys, especially now in C3C. I've taken a city a turn with each Army (I had 5 in that game), and just absolutely annihilated the AI. I'm not a warmonger, but God help you if you come after me.

/shrug

I just don't see it. If you'd replaced one of those 5 armies with the 3-4 units you had in the army, plus however many other units you could have built with the production you used to build the army (either by building in military academy, or because you didn't turn the GL into shields in a rush build), I'm betting you could have destroyed just as many cities. Probably more. Armies, even in C3C, just aren't really better on offense then the units they are made out of (and in C3, they are demonstratively weaker). When you factor in the cost of the army unit itself, I generally find it's not worthwhile to build very many of them.

Again. That's just my opinion. However, I'm sitting here scratching my head, trying to figure out a situation in which I'd rather use an army to attack something then the combination of units in the army, and I'm having a hard time doing it. The only time HPs are worth more then attack factor is if you're attacking units you can't/haven't bombarded. When I can consistently kill any defensive unit in any terrain, usually without losing more then a hit or two, what advantage is the extra hps of the army on attack? None. Once you learn how to really use bombardment to effect, you'll find that the zerg like tactics of using large numbers of offensive units and armies really isn't a very good way to fight a war.

But that's still just my opinion... ;)

And you can't forget this... the Armies are really just one big unit. 4 units with atleast 4 HP a piece is 16 HP. You can beat an Army down to 4 HP, and it'll heal back up to 16. With 4 seperate units you would have lost 3 of them. And that's 4 seperate units without the bonuses Armies get.

"(given the AIs aversion to attacking armies, it's actually valueless)"

You just proved yourself wrong.

HAve a CRUCIAL Metro you *NEED* to keep. Slap down an Army with MA or MI in it. (which ever has better defense) The AI wont go NEAR that city. Slap down 15 or 16 MA or MI and they will siege it.

Ok. Just re-read this and this kinda got me thinking.
Well, that's a start.

Um... Do the math. Why *not* rush some other project?
Simple. Because the only thing a MGL is good for in C3C is making armies or rushing improvements/small wonders. Even with the added rushing ability of GW in VC3/PTW, there are times when you don't need a GW/SW/Improvement. And an army, either in VC3/PTW or C3C is more valuable than a GL just sitting there.
Let me go through this for you.

You could use the GL to make an army immediately, using no production.
Right, I'm with you so far.
You could also use the GL to rush an army build in your city with military academmy, right?
Right. But why would you do that? That borders on moronic.
I hope to heck you see where I'm going with this.
No, I don't. Must be some trick I'm unaware of.
Can you see how both of those actions result in the exact same thing?
While they may have the same outcome, they are most definately not the same thing. One is using resources, the other is wasting resources.
Can we not then simply equate the GL->army transfer to a number of shields of production you saved in your city with the military academy? Yeah. I think we can...
Maybe in your world. But never, not ever, have I thought of using a GL to rush an Army. Hey, wait, I know! Let's pay for that free lunch! Or maybe we can pay for the air we're breathing! :rolleyes:
If you are also building something that requires more shields of production (or raw turns depending on the city and how important the build is), would it not be better in every single case to use the GL to rush that build? Yeah. I think it would...
Not necessarily. If you'll reread what I originally said, here, I'll help you:
Originally posted by Turner_727
And I'm pretty sure that having an MGL will not allow you to get a SGL. So in this case, better to use up the MGL and make an army (as opposed to rushing something you could buy with gold anyway) then let it sit and miss out on a SGL.

Or let it sit and waste it by not using it.

The point here being that why would you use a GL to rush an improvement you can pop rush or rush with gold? Now, I realize that there are times when you want to rush something and may not have the gold handy. But personally, by the time I have leader waiting to be used I have more than enough gold to rush production. Right now, in my current game, I've got some 6000 gold in the bank, getting 300 gold per turn. I'd have a hell of a lot more than 6k gold in the bank if it wasn't for gold-rushing improvements/units. Besides which, even with out rushing my cities are productive enough that I'm pumping out 10 tanks a turn, with about 20 to 25 cities producing tanks each turn. Production is not a problem. So why waste a GL on rushing an improvement that I could buy, or save it for a small wonder, when I can pump out another army this turn and use it to attack and capture another city or two?
The *only* reason to use the GL to simply turn him into an army when you already have a military academy is if you absolutely, positively have to have an army built that turn. Even if it can wait one turn, you don't gain anything (could have rushed an army build and broken even). Most likely you can wait the 6-10 turns it may take to build an army using the military academy.
Rushing production on an army by using a GL isn't breaking even. It's not even close. Considering that you could have taken that GL and made another army, and then had one pump out in the next couple of turns, means that you wasted production somewhere else.

There have been games, we've all had them, where elite unit after elite unit has pumped out a GL. When you have 30 to 40 (on the low side) units running around winning battles, you're going to get a lot of GLs. But turning a GL into an Army in an environment where you have to potential to get a lot of GLs is not stupid. It's wisely using your resources. Especially if you can pick up two or three more leaders in the next turn or two. now you've got two or three production cycles clear for something else in your Military Academy city. I'd rather be pumping out armies than have a GL sitting around waiting for an improvement to rush, that may be 50 to 60 turns away.
Conclusion: If you have the military academy, you should avoid using the GL->Army process unless you absolutely have to have an army *right now*. In every other case, you should use the GL to rush something. Anything at all will do. If you want to hold it for a wonder, do that. If you want to get rid of it so you can try to get another GL, then by all means do so. But rush build something. Don't build an army with it. Unless you have nothing to build in any of your cities that costs more production then an army, you are wasting the GL.
Again, releasing your MA city for building something else for two or three production cycles is not a waste of GLs.

Originally posted by widdowmaker
"(given the AIs aversion to attacking armies, it's actually valueless)"

You just proved yourself wrong.

HAve a CRUCIAL Metro you *NEED* to keep. Slap down an Army with MA or MI in it. (which ever has better defense) The AI wont go NEAR that city. Slap down 15 or 16 MA or MI and they will siege it.

I have seen a stack of ten infantry go out of it's way to avoid a 3 Calvary Army. This right here is the single best reason to use that GL to make an army: The AI Avoids them at all cost. Even when they have the numbers to take them down. I've had Armies, and this was back with PTW, that were low on hit points, get totally avoided by superior AI units. Why? Cuz the AI is afraid of them. The only time I"ve ever seen the AI attack an Army is with another army. They've never dogpiled it, they've never brought in a SoD of arty, they've never bombed it to hell and back. They avoid it.

So, in conclusion, there really is no best way to use a GL. It, like most things, depends on the strategic and tactical situation at the time. Believe me, if I needed the GL to rush that Airport, and that was my best option, I would go for it. Especially if I didn't have any units to populate the army with. Now, that would be moronic.

Keep in mind, too, that under Republic and Demo, WW goes up with units lost. So those three to four units that individually could have fought as opposed to putting them all in an army, would cause WW to go up if/when they get lost. The Army, by combining all the units hit points, has better battlefield survivability than the units do individually. This means that WW will take longer to grab hold. Of course, if you're in Monarchy/Communism/Facism, WW is not a problem.

Sigh. You guys aren't getting it. So stuck thinking what you want to believe that you aren't looking at what's really there.

First off Widdomaker. If you're going to quote me, please don't take it out of context and apply it to the complete wrong idea. What I said was:

Which reminds me. How useless is the pentagon? Same logic. Armies are so ineffective on attack that you're just using up more units to build them. On defense, they aren't significantly more valueable with 4 units then three (given the AIs aversion to attacking armies, it's actually valueless). Anybody given serious thought to this?

My point was that the AI wont attack a 3 unit army any more then a 4 unit army.
Therefore, building a 4 unit army gains you nothing if you're using your army defensively. See how that works? By the time you can build the pentagon, you probably can mount offensive campains without needing huge numbers of armies, and the offensive value of the units in the armies is more significant then the number of units anyway. Thus, the pentagon really doesn't buy you much (other then the culture you get). Heck. I'd *rather* have a 3 unit army then 4 until you get transports since you can't put a 4 unit army on a galleon.

Ok. Turner. You're not getting what I'm saying at all. Read. Slowly. I'll trim this down as much as possible. It's unfortunate that this BB doesn't support multilayered quotes. :(

Originally posted by Turner_727 The point here being that why would you use a GL to rush an improvement you can pop rush or rush with gold?

Ok. STOP. Right there (how many times do I need to explain this). Read what you just wrote. Now read it again slowly...

If you have the military academy, can't you also pop rush or rush an army? So what the heck is the difference? Basically, your leader is worth an amount of gold equal to the amount of gold it would take to rush an army.

If you could chose to pay for building a temple but get a cathedral instead, wouldn't you do it? That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Instead of trading that GL for an army that costs X gold to rush. You can instead trade that GL in for a factory that costs 4X to rush. You are instantly making your leader 4 times more valuable to you.

It's all about resources and how you use them. You are given a blank check with a GL. Doesn't it make sense to fill it out for the highest amount possible? That means that you should be finding the most expesive thing that you can build and using it to rush build that thing. Unless an army is the most expensive thing you can build in your entire civ then you shouldn't be turning the GL into an army.

I'm really flabergasted that you're having such a hard time with this concept. I thought it was obvious really.

Now, I realize that there are times when you want to rush something and may not have the gold handy. But personally, by the time I have leader waiting to be used I have more than enough gold to rush production. Right now, in my current game, I've got some 6000 gold in the bank, getting 300 gold per turn. I'd have a hell of a lot more than 6k gold in the bank if it wasn't for gold-rushing improvements/units. Besides which, even with out rushing my cities are productive enough that I'm pumping out 10 tanks a turn, with about 20 to 25 cities producing tanks each turn. Production is not a problem. So why waste a GL on rushing an improvement that I could buy, or save it for a small wonder, when I can pump out another army this turn and use it to attack and capture another city or two?

If you've got that much military production, and that much gold per turn. Why do you need to build the army this turn? Why didn't you rush build an army last turn if you have that much gold and needed another army? Remember. This whole argument assumes you've got military academy. You could have built that army at any time in the past. Why were you waiting on getting lucky and getting a GL? Your scenario makes no sense. In that situation, if you really did want/need armies for attack, you'd already have built to your max number of armies, so the point is moot. You use the GL to rush build something big.

If your military strategy is so poorly planned that you *have* to use that GL to make an army so you can attack this turn, then you're doing something horribly wrong. I'll grant you that this may be the case. In fact, I've stated several times that the only exception to my statement is in the case where you absolutely need to have an army built this turn. I still think that something has gone horribly awry with your war planning if you're even contemplating doing that though. Forgive me if I give advice about what people should do with their GL based on the assumption that the person is actually trying to be efficient with their forces and isn't making horrible tactical errors. If you don't desperatly need an army, you shouldn't use the GL to make one. If you do, under the situation you described, then you really are doing something wrong (or are just blindly following a doctrine of GL usage that is flawed, which is what I suspect is going on here).

Um.... That's ignoring the fact that in order to build and army to "attack" this turn, you'd have to have 3 or 4 offensive units that are able to move to city where you just turned your GL into an army, load them into an army, then move the army to attack the enemy. Um... Why the heck didn't you just attack with the units? If you've got that many extra offensive units lying around not doing anything, is your situation really so desperate that you'd be willing to reduce the production gain from the GL use by several times just to get an army this turn? I don't think so.

Rushing production on an army by using a GL isn't breaking even. It's not even close. Considering that you could have taken that GL and made another army, and then had one pump out in the next couple of turns, means that you wasted production somewhere else.

You're right. It's not quite breaking even, but it is close. You lose exacly one turn's production from the city that's building the army. Depending on the age you are in, and the shields in the city, that could be significant, or not. I didn't bring that example up to say they were exactly the same cost, but to illustrate a point that they are "close" to the same cost. The idea was to make you realize that if a GL == X number of production points in a city, then if you can get more the X by using him to rush in another city, then you'll be ahead. It's just a relative statement, not meant to be exact.

Again though. It begs the question. If you can build an army every other turn, why do you need to use a GL to build one? If it takes you 8 or 10 turns to build an army, then the "rush loss" from rushing an army instead isn't nearly as significant. Again. I'm not saying that you should do it. My point is that you shouldn't be using a GL to build armies at all. You should be using them to build large improvements that would otherwise take more gold then rushing an army would, or would take more turns then you want to spend.

There have been games, we've all had them, where elite unit after elite unit has pumped out a GL. When you have 30 to 40 (on the low side) units running around winning battles, you're going to get a lot of GLs. But turning a GL into an Army in an environment where you have to potential to get a lot of GLs is not stupid. It's wisely using your resources. Especially if you can pick up two or three more leaders in the next turn or two. now you've got two or three production cycles clear for something else in your Military Academy city. I'd rather be pumping out armies than have a GL sitting around waiting for an improvement to rush, that may be 50 to 60 turns away.

Sure. If you "need" that many armies. If you're picking up 2 or 3 more GL every few turns, then you'll run out of armies anyway right? I still don't see the issue. You're arguing some very esoteric situations. It's still about how to effectively use your GL. If you "need" an army, and can't wait the time it takes to build one at your MA city, then by all means use your GL. I'm simply suggesting that in all other cases, you should use the GL for producing city improvements and SW.

Again, releasing your MA city for building something else for two or three production cycles is not a waste of GLs.

Again. How many armies do you really need? If you are using them in offensive zergs then maybe you go through them fast. I don't. I use them as defensive strong points in enemy territory, and lose them very rarely. In a typical game, I'll disband more armies due to them being obsolete then I'll ever lose in battle. I've never seen a need to have more then a handful of them. If you are going through armies at such a rate that your MA city isn't able to build anything else, then maybe you are using your armies incorrectly. Just a thought...

I have seen a stack of ten infantry go out of it's way to avoid a 3 Calvary Army. This right here is the single best reason to use that GL to make an army: The AI Avoids them at all cost. Even when they have the numbers to take them down. I've had Armies, and this was back with PTW, that were low on hit points, get totally avoided by superior AI units. Why? Cuz the AI is afraid of them. The only time I"ve ever seen the AI attack an Army is with another army. They've never dogpiled it, they've never brought in a SoD of arty, they've never bombed it to hell and back. They avoid it.

Yup. As I said. Use your armies defensively. However, you just don't need that many of them if you have a coherent battle plan and avoid fighting on multiple fronts.

Also. Go try this. Redline an army of calvary and leave it out in the open. The AI will attack it with regular units, not just armies. I've seen it happen. That's why using armies for attack isn't a great idea. That's how you lose armies. Use them for defense, Attack with your fast attack units (calvary, tanks, MA). Use artillery to weaken units prior to attack (and use your army to defend your artilery). You will have a more effective offensive force if you do it that way.

Keep in mind, too, that under Republic and Demo, WW goes up with units lost. So those three to four units that individually could have fought as opposed to putting them all in an army, would cause WW to go up if/when they get lost. The Army, by combining all the units hit points, has better battlefield survivability than the units do individually. This means that WW will take longer to grab hold. Of course, if you're in Monarchy/Communism/Facism, WW is not a problem. [/B]

Armies count as one more unit then the number in the army for upkeep, transport, and WW costs. An army does have great survivability, but mostly if you use it defensively (as I've been saying all along). If you use it that way, you shouldn't lose many (any) of them during your game. Thus, there really should never be such a huge rush to build one that you need to use a GL for doing it.

And it's really not going to affect WW at all. I almost never lose a unit offensively in warfare, especially in the later ages. It's really simple. You bombard units down to red, then attack with your attack units. Except for the extremely rare bad luck streak, you will never lose an offensive unit that way. I'd estimate the odds of losing to a 1 hp unit with an offensive unit are about equal to an army losing to a full HP unit. I'd much rather use artilerly and get the same effective offensive puch from every unit I have on the field, then use only armies to attack and take fortified positions. It means I've got much more flexibility with my forces. I can actually take more ground with fewer losses that way.

Civ3 is all about resource allocation and use. If you can do the same thing while spending less, you'll do better in the game. When using a GL to build an army instead of using your MA, you are "spending" an amount of production equal to the most expensive thing you can build at that time to "buy" that army. Certainly, there may be situations where you need to do that. But mostly that's going to be due to a lack of planing. Always be aware that the fact that you put yourself in a situation where you needed to get that zero-turn army built cost you the most expensive improvement you can build.

Look at it another way. Would you sell a factory in a city to build an army when you already had a miltary academy? You'd do it only in a desperate situation. You'd never do it as a matter of course. No sane player would. Yet, that's essentially what you are doing when you use a GL to make an army (assuming you could build factories at the time, if not substitute with something else). I can only assume that so many players just follow rote strategies and have never really thought this through. I can't think of any other reason why this is such a hard concept for you guys to grasp.

Once you have the military academy, an army is a unit just like any other. You can build them anytime you want. You can't build a GL. if you're going to trade your GL for something you can build, you may as well trade it for the biggest and most expensive thing possible. To me, that's just common sense.

And you call us stuck in our thinking. :rolleyes:

It occurs to me that you're discribing trees, and we're talking about hills. While you're points may be vaild (especially from your point of view) you're sadly missing out on our points.

Go back and re-read what we wrote. And if you need me to re-write it using one syllable words, let me know. Obviously we're using words to big for you if you can't understand our point of view.

As for needing as many armies as one can get, I could go on about rapid expansion, multi-front wars, both against the same AI and multiple AIs, dogpiles, and general free-for-alls, but I really feel like I'd get more results from :wallbash:

Since C3C I think I've turned all my MGL's into armies. Even with the military academy, I usually look to use up my MGL the turn it is generated, or at least by the time I finish researching current tech (and have a chance for SGL).

I would use the MGL to rush a Palace or FP, if the timing was opportune.

@Wakboth, and others who are valuing MGL's according to the shield cost (and gold equivalent) of the largest project available. Slight problem with this, in that you should be valuing products by turns of production, since that is in fact what you "save" by rushing projcts with a MGL. That's really what you're "buying", whether with gold or with an MGL. So for many players having an army 3-6 turns earlier, freeing up the MA to build something else or even another army, is potenetially worth more than the shield cost of the army. It is the cost of those 3 turns of produciton, plus the value of having the army earlier, plus the opportunity cost of whatever else the city with the MilAcad can produce (if it can pump out 1 MechInf per turn, say, again, you have to value the service of having constant reinforcements in addition to the raw shield cost).

Now what I've discovered for myself is that since C3C, armies are more than worth it. The new rules take a while to get used to, but when you do armies are formidable. Some things that an army of 4 Modern armours (C3C style) can do that 4MA's can't do on their own:

1. Attack 4 times/turn at attack strength of 48.
2. Remove a radio tower 4 tiles into enemy territory.
3. Pillage a fortress with barricades, even with just 1hp left, on its way back to a barracks to heal.
4. Spot, locate, and disrupt enemy reinforcements across hills, forests, etc. in a single turn.
5. Take out difficult defenders before commencing bombardment, so that bombardment weakens lesser units, making fiinal round of assaults with single tanks/MA's successful with minimal losses.

Well, those are just some of the things I like to do with my armies, things I can't do with regular units. Again, this is why people are going on and on about armies in C3C. They really are powerful, much more powerful than the sum of their parts.

But in any case the value of an MGL is subjective and dpendant on what exactly the player values the most at a givn time. Getting something instantly is always worth more than the monetary cost of an investment that taks longer to realize. This is why people borrow from banks at interest: having the house today is worth more, to them, than having it in the future for less $.

Well. I guess we just have totally different viewpoints then. To me, once you have the military academy, an army is a unit just like any other. A useful unit to be sure, but still a unit that you can build.

Everything has a shield cost in the game. Getting a library (costs exactly the same as an army) gains you more the earlier you get it as well. Building a factory gains you half again the shield cost when you rush it with a GL (you actually are trading a 200 shield army for 360 shields worth of production and savings using a GL to build a factory). SS components can cost up to 640 shields (but admittedly don't give you anything for having them earlier unless you can only win your space race by getting that last component faster).

It's always a judgement call. And yes. Turns of production are what's important. However, odds are you build your MA at a city with a reasonbly high production rate. I find it extremely unlikely that on any given turn when you have the MA, and you get a GL, you can't find any city in your civilization that will take more turns to build something "big" then the number of turns it takes to build an army at your MA city. Heck. Go rush a cathedral in that outpost city that'll take 160 turns to build otherwise. You just gained 160 turns of extra culture. You can look at the argument from either turns gained or shields gained, and you will (should) still come to the conclusion that you will be better off using your GL to rush production of high cost improvements then simply turning it into an army.

Sure. If you need an army "this turn", then you don't have much choice. I just personally find that to be an insane strat. What if you hadn't gotten that GL that turn? Would you have lost the game? Are you relying that much on luck? If not, then can't you wait a few turns for your MA to build your next army instead? You are all really arguing a case that assumes that the value of having that army built a few turns earlier is higher then the value of having a more expensive improvement built a few turns earlier. I think that if you are honestly making that choice, then you've put yourself into a very dangerous military position.

Sure. Sometimes you may not have a choice. A couple AI's gang up on you, you're getting squished, and that GL pops up. Of course you're going to turn him into an army immediately. But I can't think of any other situation where you should. If you're just building units and maintaining a war footing, then you can maintain a steady build rate of armies at your MA to support your war. You don't need GLs to build armies and should really never rely on getting them.

But that's just me. You guys play how you want. I really do think you're creating the very problem that you need to solve by using the GL that way. I've had games where I had 80+ cities and a huge military and all the armies I needed (and never needed to use a GL to build an army once I had MA). I've had games where I've never had more then 18 cities and never got a GL once (and obviously never needed to use one to build an army). I've had games of every flavor in between. I have never once actually been in a situation where I had the MA and later got into a war, but didn't have enough armies to fight that war. Since I always plan ahead like that, I get to use my GLs to rush other projects. If you don't plan ahead, or use your armies effectively, then I suppse you'll have to use GLs to build them during your war. I just personally think that's your own playstyle creating the need rather then that actually being a better way of doing it.

Originally posted by SeVeS
IMHO it's a real shame if you use that last leader to generate an army. Espessially if you already can build them. I'd rather use it for some kind of wonder.. or so.

Appearantly everything is depends. what wakboth said is good if you play with max 5 cities (normally u can have only 1 army) and IMHO, still is a good advice for some players. Currently I played with a limited city (hardware limitation :mad:), no more than 8 cities in regent, standard map. So, I appreciated wakboth advice a lot.:goodjob:

Wakboth,

I must say you are on an entirely different (high/better) playing level than I am. Thus I will state that anything you say over me is most likely correct (I do regent/monarch and need to reload at times to win monarch).

Other reasons I use MGL for armies is that I tend to get them in streaks. I was playing the Aztecs (love mil civs) and got 4 MGL in 10 turns of war (huge map with lots of action). I did use one to rush the FP, but it was one of the last ones. If I had saved the first, I would not have gotten the other 3. Now I know this is not the norm, but once I get a single MGL, I normally tend to get another (with mil civs). This is most likely only a perceived thing and nothing more, but I am a blind believer.:)

My part about adding an infantry to an army of 3 swordsmen was a reason to build the Pentagon. Nothing more.

The entire artillery argument is a moot point for me. Playing huge maps, moving artillery everywhere (with escorts) is soooooooo time consuming. Just take a few armies and crush the defenders in the city.

I also tend to use communism. I do not know if this makes any difference when it comes to building armies, but who knows. (also I know that it is not the best government type so please nobody change the subject to that)

I find that in C3C that MGL are not worth much when it comes to rushing. Sure, if you need a battleship/tactical nuke/ICBM they are great. If they can rush space ship parts (can they) then that is wonderful as well. Just how often do you need to do that?

Top Bottom