Military DISCIPLINE FACTOR

Tony Montana

Chieftain
I've just had a great idea for Civilization IV.

Why not include a discipline factor for the military?

This idea sprung on me in the light of thinking about military campaigns in the past and present. For example massacres the Korean War, Vietnam War, and WWII to name just a small few.

It's a common fact that most armies commit terrible war atrocities in occupied territory. This has basically been happenening since war started.

I am suggesting a DISCIPLINE FACTOR for a country. If an amry has a low DISCIPLINE factor then they will commit violent atrocities in occupied cities and AI cities where you have open borders with, or perhaps even a small chance of atrocities in your own cities! This would encourage strikes from the population, increase the chance of cultural defection and make negative relations with AI.

For example the player could have the option of having a well disciplined freedom fighting army, or an army of pure terror and evil.

I think this would be a great addition to the game. The only thing is that I haven't thought of a way to implement it into the game yet. Perhaps it could be related to the number of barracks a civilization has in comparison military units? For example ,having a small number of barracks would mean little training for a huge army.

Don't forget, disciplined armies are generally more effective. Look at the Roman Empire. They had a disciplined army. (And good generals)

Yeah, that makes since. It would also add more depth to the game. Like, it could also be sorta related to your individual units' exp level as well. Like, conscript units would have a greater chance of massacreing an entire city than Elite units. And also, I was thinking.. Like, in the game now, you can order your forces to raze a city, how about doing so would cause your units to have a greater chance of doing it on their own too?(which is pretty much what you are saying*instead of choosing to or not to raze, other in-game factors descide for you, kinda-sorta*)

Tony Montana said:
For example the player could have the option of having a well disciplined freedom fighting army, or an army of pure terror and evil.

With there being only negative aspects to having an ill-disciplined army, who would choose that option in normal play? Some few might, simply for role-playing purposes, but not enough to justify coding it into the game. There would have to be some aspect to make it appealing, such as the ill-disciplined troops don't add any "away" cost during war -- they live off the land, steal from the locals, etc.

think it could be done like this: Better DISCIPLINED troops are stronger, but less DISCIPLINED troops are cheaper to build and maintain. Of course, there are details to work out, but I think this is a good general picture.

More experienced troops are more disciplined, so this whole idea seems redundant to me.

Keep it simple.

The drill promotion is discipline on the battlefield. The cultural factors used in the game to determine rebellion represent discipline off the battlefield. We already have some sort of representation of discipline.

Top Bottom