Military Discussion: Attack Russia or not?

Another topic to bring up. We have just met the Babs. Should we, once we get enough warriors, attack the babs. Or should we leave them alone untill the middle ages?

why attack, when we know so little, I wonder

we neednt butcher our noble warriors on the enemy's spears now, when we can persuade them to join our cauce later

Originally posted by CivGeneral
Another topic to bring up. We have just met the Babs. Should we, once we get enough warriors, attack the babs. Or should we leave them alone untill the middle ages?

So, where's your plan? ;) Just wait until we explore the map, and get world maps first. It's FAR too early to tell. Without knowing what their land looks like, we lack three important things:

1 - Layout of the terrain and roads. This would allow for the quickest campaign. If we say, "Oh, that bowmen came from the SE, let's go there!", and Babylon's to the SW, then we're in trouble.

2 - What tiles have they worked? (BESIDES using the right-click exploit in Civ3, where you can see if there's a mine, road or irragation). The bowman is 20 shields. In Monarch, the AI bonus makes it 18 shields. Not much, but suppose Babylon is size 6, and has 3 bonus tiles and 3 grassland tiles mined (9spt). They're going to be throwing a bowman at us every 2 turns. That means, we need to be production 1 offensive unit every 2 turns (in one city) to keep up with them.

3 - Resources. What if they have iron? Horses? What happens if we have this great plan now, and have no iron? Or no horses? It's a gamble. The Warrior Gambit never runs past 5 warriors. Also, think about it. A 1 attack unit fighting a 2 defense and 2 attack UU. We'd take our warriors onto the Babylonian roads only to be slaughtered. You have to think about what units the other civ is going to have. You can't just waltz in with 30 archaic units and expect to take city after city. By the time you even build up 30 warriors, the AI is gonna have several cities, and probably be pumping out a half dozen swords, or horses. Horses are mobile, and will CREAM warriors if given the chance. You might as well be attacking with spearmen...

Good points CT. Would be nice to see some plans

Dont suppose you have some thoughts on those issues yourself? Do post if ye got something there :)

BTW - does the military office have any thoughts on future port/harbor sites? We will perhaps need galleys some day....

I am actualy planning on only attacking the babs IF we have access to Iron for our swordsmen.

Again, do we know what their lands look like? We need to know what the terrain looks like before we start planning wars. Why do we want to attack them? Just for land? What's our ultimate goal now? (Doesn't look like 20K culture is too feasible now - it's possible, but maybe just barely before 2050 AD) Do we want an area to switch our palace too? FP? If so, how do we know their land isn't any better than Russia's? (or worse?)

I know you want to attack them, and seemingly before this term is out, but we have to have a good reason other than, "Just because they're there... in the fog...". I don't want to build up and send our forces towards Babylon (or Russia) only to discover one has jungle, or desert, and the other had nice terrain. Most real life armies scout the terrain before they attack, and for good reason.

By the time we gain Map Making we can trade maps and see which land is more better to attack. I certanly dont want worthless diseased jungles. I wish for the T&T to find a way to get Map Making so we can aquire maps from the Russians and the Babs

@Chieftess - I am just used to the map traiding effect in C3C where Map trades only happen around navigation.

I agree with Chieftess on this one. The Babs should be out of the question for now, and there is really no reason to start a war with Russia just yet.

What we may want to do is fortify a few warriors a few tiles away from the borders of both nations. While this won't completely deter their expansion, it wil give them an idea that they shouldn't venture past that point. We should discuss the matter of war only if they do.

This is just general practice that I usually follow in my games. When I look at the save, I may have other ideas.

I suggest to develop the iron city as a stronghold vs. Russia. And then settle all the land between it and our core (we need a settler pump!).

And to build one city each on the east and west coast towards Babylon.

Whether we attack Russia or Babylon will depend on where we gain the most (resources or capturing a Great Wonder).

We should not engage in early war but strive to fill all(!) the land to the west also before yellow ships arrive with settlers.

Of course, we might take out Russia before they get cossacks.

Top Bottom