1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Military Doctrines / Promotion System Rework 1.703

This mod revamps the promotion/experience system to be both more meaningful and more realistic.

1. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

Hey no problem!

I can see about changing that update if it is possible (it might come down to load order) and I can also set the version as the same.

As for the last thing, there isn't much I can do because I can't subtract experience gained nor can I remove promotions - unless they were to add the ability to do this in an expansion or dlc patch. But I can only add them on. If I also add a promotion it doesn't count towards the level of a unit which means if I give a unit a promotion they still have an option to pick another promotion. I also can't change or set the level of a unit.

Now with human players this wouldn't be a problem because I can disable the UI so they can't pick a promotion but the AI can still pick promotions. So I guess an option would be is that the AI would just get extra promotions (in this case they could pick anything from doctrines, vanilla promotions and veterancies) so that religious units and espionage units can use the vanilla promotions. What are your thoughts?

2. Puer

Puer Warlord

I think it is good idea to bring back religious and espionage units promotions as separate doctrines branch.
    I don't like the idea that AI would get extra vanilla promotions (and humand don't due promotion button is disable from the UI)

3. skodkim

skodkim Deity

I totally agree that the AI and human players should have the same set of promotions. I do however feel that losing promotions for other than military units (religious units, spies and possibly scouts) is to big a sacrifice.

\Skodkim

4. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

Ok so my plan is that I'm going to make it so you pick the veterancies instead of it auto-adding them in. This will help solve generally every problem (so spies, religious units and other mods that give free promotions all work as intended). I'm also going to try setting all vanilla promotions to require something impossible to get so that the AI will be unable to cheat.

The only negative side to this is that you will just have to select it which is some additional clicks and a turn. In my estimation it will also mean that getting units veterancy in the late game will be very difficult as new units start with several levels from doctrines however in some ways I like this (as the player is rewarded for keeping their units alive) but we will have to see in tests. Otherwise I may just give free XP on build depending on the unit's starting level.

Puer likes this.
  5. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Sound like you've got some good ideas here.

One thing/suggestion: Isn't it fairly easy to just delete the vanilla promotions that you dont want picked (haven't tried and I'm a little bit worried about the dependencies between the unitpromotion tables, e.g. you may have to delete them from multiple tables to do it)? That way you make a "clean" solution making sure they can't be picked.

\Skodkim

6. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

Yes but that would make any mod that references them like Quo's Combined Tweaks incompatible and I'm assuming people wouldn't want that.

7. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

Ewok-Bacon-Bits updated Military Doctrines / Promotion System Rework with a new update entry:

Reworking of veterancy / bug fixes

Read the rest of this update entry...

Also I have prevented the AI from picking vanilla and doctrine via promotions when they rank up, so that works. And let me know if you think veterancies are getting too expensive in the late game.

I also added in the correct version which is 3 as the modbuddy only allows for single integers. For small updates I'll put in the decimals manually, if that even works.

8. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

9. truetom

truetom Warlord

not using anymore, AI was gaining ranks every turn, was instant killing my units which were of identical tech advance. AI was not at war at the time, so where did his exp come from? Every turn?

10. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

Hmm that is strange do you mind uploading a save? They do get XP from barbarians but my autoplays don't show them getting an unreasonable amount of promotions.

11. Loffas

Loffas Warlord

How is it with tha AI? Do they use any doctrines? Do they way them (AI weight) ?
    I havent tried this mod yet, but i do like the look of it.
    Thanks for making it!

BR Loffas

12. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

The AI uses it yes, I tried to make each tier balanced so they randomly select a doctrine within that tier (they don't have weights) but if given the choice they always prioritize/select tier 2 or even more so tier 3 doctrines

13. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

Puer likes this.
  14. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

15. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Hi Ewok

Just started a new game using the v 1.41 (without CQQUI as it hasn't been updated since the summer patch yet). I seems every thing works fine but I'm getting some errors in lua.log and don't know if I should be worried. Also it may "just" be incompatibility (even though they weren't there before summer patch) so I'd like to hear if you see the same.

Log files are attached.

\Skodkim

Attached Files:

• Logs.zip
      File size:
      233.5 KB
      Views:
  16. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

You shouldn't have any problems, one is the screen width seems to be nil but it just defaults to normal. The unit panel error has to do with a popup which is the cause of most UI errors since the patch but UnitPanel doesn't actually use the variable so it shouldn't effect anything.

But I'll look into fixing those

17. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

18. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord

19. truetom

truetom Warlord

sorry, went new game

20. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Warlord