Military Emerg target cities should be revealed

Scaramanga

Brickhead
Multiplayer game: I was Gorgo, Indonesia and Netherlands were neighbours. After I fended off Dutch archers with hoplites, Indonesia attacked Wilhelmina and captured Amsterdam. This triggered a Military Emergency against Indonesia that I accepted (Dutch AI did not). Problem was I didn't know where Amsterdam was and got bogged down at another Indonesian city when I might have gone straight for it. Should the target city and adjacent tiles be revealed or did I just have to rely on Dutch shared visibility if they had actually accepted?

This one cracks me up.

"We should liberate Amsterdam and return it to the Dutch." "Let's do it! Where is Amsterdam again?" "No idea. The Dutch won't tell us. Also, it seems they're okay with it belonging to Indonesia."

The short answer is, this scenario gives a pretty clear indication of how little the development team thought through the emergency parameters before they implemented them.

The longer answer is, either the target city should be revealed to any nation joining the emergency, or you shouldn't be able to join the emergency if you're not aware of the existence of the target city.

This one cracks me up.

"We should liberate Amsterdam and return it to the Dutch." "Let's do it! Where is Amsterdam again?" "No idea. The Dutch won't tell us. Also, it seems they're okay with it belonging to Indonesia."

The short answer is, this scenario gives a pretty clear indication of how little the development team thought through the emergency parameters before they implemented them.

The longer answer is, either the target city should be revealed to any nation joining the emergency, or you shouldn't be able to join the emergency if you're not aware of the existence of the target city.
I was pretty sure the AI would accept the emergency. In hindsight I would not have accepted an emergency where the city that caused it is unknown to me.

In the current state I just assume that nobody is going to join (which is exactly what has happened in all cases in my games so far), and only accept emergencies if I know I can do it alone.

In the current state I just assume that nobody is going to join (which is exactly what has happened in all cases in my games so far), and only accept emergencies if I know I can do it alone.

Cyrus joined me in an emergency against Poundmaker once. I remember it because Cyrus had declared war on me the turn before and I was about to take one of his cities (on the first turn of a defensive war, because the AI does such a good job of evaluating whether it should attack). Suddenly he and I were allies.

I might have been able to do it alone, I already razed a size 3 Indonesian city. I just took the wrong route to Amsterdam. I don't know what the Dutch AI was smoking.

It's Amsterdam, we know exactly what they were smoking.

Is it some sort of bug that the Dutch didn't accept the Emergency?

This I don't have a problem with. You should always check to see what you're actually signing up for and you still have 30 turns to find it. So this part to me is on the player.

You can close the window and check where it is first . However, this isn't communicated by the game very well. What would have been nice is a zoom to location feature if you do know where it is. That would be present in no small number of games for the 20 years.

This I don't have a problem with. You should always check to see what you're actually signing up for and you still have 30 turns to find it. So this part to me is on the player.

You can close the window and check where it is first . However, this isn't communicated by the game very well. What would have been nice is a zoom to location feature if you do know where it is. That would be present in no small number of games for the 20 years.
It was online so it was more like 18 turns to find Amsterdam. I had a rough idea where it was and looking back I would have just gone past the Indonesian city instead of through it.

Top Bottom