Military Engineers

Thorburne

Centurion
So, as we get closer to release, there are still a lot of mechanics that we boo very little about. We do know that roads are created through trade routes and they can be manually built with Military Engineers. But exactly how that works given the new mechanics is still s mystery. Will MEs have charges like the builder? If so, I imagine that a road segment will cost a fraction of a charge. Maybe 0.25. With 3 charges, that allows 12 segments to be built per ME. That seems the likely case to me. I imagine that they will be able to build forts as well, which would be a full charge.

It would make little sense that they would build like old given the change in mechanics. However, if it is by charges, why not have the ability for builders learned after Military Engineering?

Any thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

It's a good question. My guess is - since the engineers are "military" they are likely support unit, instead of civilian. So, they could have slightly different mechanics, for example they could build improvements only if attached to a military unit and the unit takes damage from the action.

That is interesting... I didn't think about the support possibility. Though, assuming that part of Rome's abilities will do with roads, I wonder how that would work...

Still, if Rome does have the ability tied to them, I suspect that we will be learning more soon. That is why I bring it up now.

i doubt rome will have something tied to roads as its seems too niche of a benefit unless its something like ability to create roads with workers or something at start?

i doubt rome will have something tied to roads as its seems too niche of a benefit unless its something like ability to create roads with workers or something at start?
The assumption is that Legions will be able to build roads. Just a part of the overall Rome identity.

The assumption is that Legions will be able to build roads. Just a part of the overall Rome identity.

Generally it's logical. And in this case Legion could work as if it has military engineers attached. However, there's a strong argument against this idea - Legion was able to build roads in Civ5, so it would be quite copy-pasting.

I don't think they'd do a fraction type charge, that just makes it easy to lose track of or adding unnecessary decimal units. I mean if they wanted 12 charges why not just make it 12 charges, it is clear and impossible to misinterpret.

That being said, I think the military eng. will be a permanent unit.

They most likely will have 3 charges, but building roads wont require a charge. The only thing that would need a charge is forts and air bases.

forts surely aren't gonna instabuild, just like the city defensive buildings can't be instabuilt with gold
I don't see a reason why not. City defenses are built internal to the city. Forts are improvements.
Generally it's logical. And in this case Legion could work as if it has military engineers attached. However, there's a strong argument against this idea - Legion was able to build roads in Civ5, so it would be quite copy-pasting.
I don't think that busy because they had the ability in 5, that should cancel them from doing it in VI.
I don't think they'd do a fraction type charge, that just makes it easy to lose track of or adding unnecessary decimal units. I mean if they wanted 12 charges why not just make it 12 charges, it is clear and impossible to misinterpret.

That being said, I think the military eng. will be a permanent unit.
The problem would be if they can build other things like forts. If they keep the fraction to something easy like 0.25 (4 per charge), it's not too encumbersome.

They most likely will have 3 charges, but building roads wont require a charge. The only thing that would need a charge is forts and air bases.

Tile improvements are built instantly (if I remeber right) , I think that forts and airbases will be the same.

It could be that builders and military engineers are separated so that you can only build military engineers in cities in which you have an encampment; this should prevent spamming of roads and would make roads and trade even more important.

Edit: checking on well of souls in the armory (building of encampment) it says: "Required to build Military Engineers." On the basis of this info I would expect military engineers to have charges like builders to insta-build either roads or forts with a ratio similar to the one stated by OP.

I can see military engineer being able to create routes and forts + being a support unit useful in siege warfare.

I don't think that busy because they had the ability in 5, that should cancel them from doing it in VI.

It's not an absolute argument, of course. We still could have road and fort building Legion, especially if it's implemented differently. But the argument still exists. Developers try to do minimal UU and ability reuse.

Like most of you, i definitely see military engineers have a charge system just like builders.

It wouldnt make any sense to have a unit function like an old worker taking x turn to build a road\fort etc.. And on the other hand it wouldnt make sense to have one military engineer being able to build roads every turn with no limit. Especially as it seems that now, there aint no maintenance for roads. There would be no downpoint to just spam roads all over your territory, civ 3\4 style.

Now, it makes me wonder wether we can expect other units to function the same way in later eras. Some kinda of builders like units for different purposes.

Like most of you, i definitely see military engineers have a charge system just like builders.

It wouldnt make any sense to have a unit function like an old worker taking x turn to build a road\fort etc.. And on the other hand it wouldnt make sense to have one military engineer being able to build roads every turn with no limit. Especially as it seems that now, there aint no maintenance for roads. There would be no downpoint to just spam roads all over your territory, civ 3\4 style.

Now, it makes me wonder wether we can expect other units to function the same way in later eras. Some kinda of builders like units for different purposes.
I might be wrong but I think i have seen that roads have no maintenance cost if they have a trade route using it. It would prevent road spamming better than charges only. Am i the only one to have seeb this? (I believe harbours give extra trade route so it will be easier to have internal trade routes to have no road maintenance)

Top Bottom