military principle?

Heroes

Heroes of Might and Magic
I guess I have gained some experience in peaceful development (city building, worker improvement, wonder, great people, etc.), but still need to get a clearer understanding in military. In civ3, the main principles are artillery type units and armies, so that our stack of cats and swords can fight middle age enemies very efficiently. Now in civ4, which military units are the key to win a war with backwards tech?

I nominate siege units. A stack of catapults can take down just about any stack of defenders, even though they'll die in the process. The advanced defenders are then easy prey for an assault by obsolete units. Remember, if you can take a strength 12 unit (Rifleman? My memory escapes me) down to 6, it's no different than fighting a Swordsman or Longbowman.

Without bombardment I just don't see how inferior forces can attack and defeat more advanced ones (unless the advanced civ does stupid stuff like garrison cities with tanks instead of infantry). However, less advanced defenders with the right combination of units (bow, spear) can hold off (somewhat) more advanced units for quite some time.

Top Bottom