1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Military Specialization Mod, does one exist and how hard would it be to make?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Slagar10, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Slagar10

Slagar10 Chieftain

Something that really, really bugs me is the total lack of military specialization opportunities in BTS, especially since I'm a warmonger. What I mean is certain promotion given to all units in a Civilization, but not being determined by the civilization. So if I'm playing in a hilly region, I can make all future units I build have Guerrilla I.

The way I think would be best for this is to change the way Great Generals work. Currently they just dump XP onto units you build in the city, which is fine, but what I want is for Great Generals to cause all units built from that city to gain a specific promotion determined when the Great General is placed in that city if eligible.

So that leads me to my question, is there a mod that does this or something close to it, and if not, how difficult would it be for someone who's never modded before to do? It seems it would be quite hard since most modding focuses on adding Civilizations or units in different combinations.

Also, how hard would it be to merge such a mod with BAT?

2. Asaf

Asaf Sleep Deprived

Not exactly the same, but take a look at my power up mod (in my signature). Might be similar to what you're looking for.

3. Slagar10

Slagar10 Chieftain

Wow, that's really cool and pretty close to what I wanted. I have a couple questions though that I didn't see answered from my quick browse through the topic.

Does the AI make use of these promotions and how well? Do units still gain the normal extra XP from the barracks as well as the free promotion? How difficult would it be to merge with BAT (I saw someone saying they couldn't merge it with BUG, which BAT is based on)?

4. Asaf

Asaf Sleep Deprived

The AI makes use of these promotions, but currently only randomly, and does not take this into consideration when deciding on production.
    Yes, this affect is in addition to normal XP given by the building.
    I started merging the UI with BUG once but never really tested it (I think I attached the files there).
    Shouldn't be too difficult, I guess, but I don't know BAT well enough.
    If you have any more questions can you please continue the discussion there? It'll be easier to find all the information in the same place later.