1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Military Strength: 0

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Bleser, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Bleser

Bleser Prince

In my latest Immortal game (not sure why I don't just go to Deity again), there have been many promising aspects of the AI (expansion rate, science rate, district selection...), but there seems to be zero, or even negative priority on building/keeping units.

Early on, this is not an issue. They build and keep a decent army and pose a reasonable threat. But as the game progresses it is almost like they refuse to maintain an army and disband or never re-build units lost in battle.

A case in point is China in my current game: I had a war with them in the classical era that ended in stalemate. Many eras later when I considered attacking them due to their nice cities and lead in science, I hovered over their icon in the world rankings panel to find "Military Strength: 0" under their icon. Zero!? Sure enough, I invaded and there was absolutely nothing. This is after centuries of peace; they didn't go to war with anyone else and were in second place in science compared to seven total civilizations.

Has anyone found a MOD or anything to get the AI to maintain an army? The AI seem to be better at using units in the latest patch, but refuses to actually have an army. If I could find a way for units to be almost 'free' for the AI, maybe they would build them and actually play the game?

ZubieMaster likes this.
  2. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

Well, in my last game on chieftain as Scythia Russia had a decent army of mostly archers and some chariots before I knocked them out of the game. Later Germany attacked with pikemen and some crossbowmen and catapults my early renaissance army which cost them a few cities. So the AI _can_ build armies. I suppose china's AI focused on other things like districts and wonders and rebuilding the army was not a high priority for them. I think the main questions before changing it is - does it repeat? Under what conditions? Also if they have lots of money and maybe faith they may decide to cut the maintenance and just buy if needed. If they don't have the funds to pay for upkeep they may not have an army. If they lack strategic resources they might not be able to build much.

3. oedali

oedali King

I'm observing the same thing in every game. There's usually one or two AIs that focus on science or culture victory late game and ignore their army altogether. In my current game Kongo is in Information age and has military strength = 20. But all other AI have some kind of military ranging strength 300-1000.

4. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

OK. So, when an AI focuses on tech or culture it sometimes forget about military and needs a more balanced approach.

5. Bleser

Bleser Prince

Well, I'd say "needs a more balanced approach" is correct but also very understated. For an AI to be in a game with absolutely no army bordering my civ which has a claimed "1,700" strength (and really isn't that strong when I look at it) seems to be a vast threat that they are currently programmed to ignore. As @oedali mentioned, even if not zero, the other Civs in the game are all hovering around 500-900, which is a couple cavalry armies, some battleship armadas that they don't use to fire on anything and empty airfields.

It's all a bit opposite of how Civ V was; critics said that was too much of a war game and war was a constant threat and now, without any threat of a war, it's become too easy to just steamroll them all anytime after the Industrial era.

I think the only way to make this game hard is to do something silly like selecting "always peace" and simply not allowing war. But that isn't fun, either. I hope this is addressed in the next patch.

Cheers.

6. craney1987

craney1987 Warlord

I also find this. My most recent game I played as aztec and was committed to a dom victory. Most civs were in front of me by a few techs up until the mid game, however when I came knocking I found that their armies exclusively consisted of outdated units. The one shining light was macedon, who teched up and built an army of AT crews, which slowed me a little. It was a shame that it was an islands map, and macedon had zero navy. My venetian arsenal pumping out battleship corps(I forget the naval equivalent term) had a field day.

but they did have a modern army.

If only they built a navy. As an islands map I was more concerned that no Ai civ had more than two ships.

7. Bleser

Bleser Prince

^^ At least there were some units to fight. I just got open borders with Rome and found empty lands when cruising around with my tanks.

For naval units, even when they have ships, they don't use them. I watch City-States let the AI pummel their cities early on while the City-State frigates just drive around the harbor instead of bombarding the invaders. Frustrating.

craney1987 likes this.
  8. craney1987

craney1987 Warlord

by going in with the conviction to not got to war/ capture cities is the only time post industrial I've had to work.

im not very good at the district placement etc. That I need to be on the harder difficulties. I always find myself defaulting to just rolling through with modest armies because it's the easier (and much quicker) option