[GS] Military Strength on Diety Late Game

Engeez

Chieftain
So I am playing a game as the Otto and I’m in modern era. I am leading military strength with the following:

Land:
1 Infantry Army
3 Infantry Corps
2 Artillary Army
1 Cavalry Corps
5 Field Cannons
1 Rifleman

Sea:
1 Battleship Corps
2 Ironclad
1 Submarine

Air:
2 Biplanes

I am just over 1000 in military strength and the next closest is 804 then it drops significantly from there. I have 21 Cities and have the game completely in the bag as I am leading by a mile in everything but religion.

It’s just so boring taking city after city so easily I wish one of the AI’s could amass a 15,000 strength army just for competition. It really breaks the late game immersion I can’t stand playing knowing I can’t lose.

I don’t get why the AI can’t build carpets like they did back in Civ 5. Do they need more gold? Production?

The fact you’ve been able to achieve this shows that you’re actually too good at the game.

I couldn’t achieve half of what you’ve done without cheating.

Yeah it's weird. I haven't had a good late game war yet. It's kind of a bummer.

In V you used to have to wade through a big carpet on deity. It might have been tedious but it was more of a challenge. You had to work to keep your units alive because your production would never keep up. If you lost too many it was game over.

I get that it's not strictly a war game but it's a facet that needs fixing. If the AI isn't going to get better they should at least be able to zerg you.

Well as I was ruining Hungary they threw a warrior corps at my infantry army. They even had a source of iron so should of at least been swordsman?

I just think all of these complicated resource dependant mechanics have confused the AI beyond belief.

Eh, it's been bad with VI from the beginning. You might get an early rush but once you tech up to the medieval their effectiveness peters out.

Funny part is gold is so plentiful in VI compared to V they're not in danger of going bankrupt or hitting a unit cap.

Your correct gold can’t be the problem. After I took Mansa Musa’s Capital had a peace deal he actually had like 600 gpt on turn 180. Like dude, just keep buying Field Cannons until you blast me to dust!!

Maybe a good mod is to grant the AI a unit every turn. I don’t know, does anybody have a good rule set out there that makes this less boring after building city walls?

Uh... I guess I'm unlucky then. I've seen immortal games where the AI has 5K+ strength by endgame (that's usually the rule rather than the exception). Usually I see 800 military scores from the AI around the Renaissance/Industrial era.

I assume you mean your own tech is modern, not the global era, since you have modern units ?

Looked at my games, t160 on diety, about to hit atomic tech and yup... on a huge map the top AI has 1007 military strenght, than a couple in the 800s than a couple in the 600s than it falls off quickly.

I also loaded a t280 emperor game, atomic global era, where I'm just rolling future techs until I get that damn diplomatic victory and even in that game I've got 2 AIs sitting at 1.1k. Even my military ally with 14 cities and the highest science-per-turn of any AI (so not a pushover by AI standards) only got 450. I have shared visibility and he's got like 2 AT crews, a machine gun, a bombard, a cuirassier and a fudgin warrior.

It's not a resource limitation, they clearly don't even try to have a military. But I think it has always been this way in civ6.

Uh... I guess I'm unlucky then. I've seen immortal games where the AI has 5K+ strength by endgame (that's usually the rule rather than the exception). Usually I see 800 military scores from the AI around the Renaissance/Industrial era.

Wow, I've never seen an AI with 5k military strength, that's a lot. Depends on what endgame means though.

Maybe you could get them to build a huge military if you just keep them in perpetual war but never actually attack. Might try that at some point.

Last edited:
Im using no maintanence mod for units. I can now build mutch bigger army and so can the AI.

Might depend a bit on which civs?

My games on GS so far (have played 4, twice as Canada, once as Inca, now as Ottomans) have seen a few civs with quite strong militaries (Rome, Hungary, even Russia had a giant death robot late game). Rome actually had a good defensive strategy of a ton of archers which resisted all efforts to invade until nearly the medieval era.

Also seems to have been a bit of a nerf on siege units in the later stages of the game; whereas under R&F I could take a rocket artillery corps or army and knock down city defences in a turn or two, that seems to no longer be the case - the damage from siege units seems limited in the late game. Could be that the 'era' really matters (ie: don't try to use older siege units late in the game) but on my first game (on only King level) I had an RA army in the appropriate era as Canada and was trying to liberate a city for DPs and it barely dented the defences after multiple attacks.

Might depend a bit on which civs?

My games on GS so far (have played 4, twice as Canada, once as Inca, now as Ottomans) have seen a few civs with quite strong militaries (Rome, Hungary, even Russia had a giant death robot late game). Rome actually had a good defensive strategy of a ton of archers which resisted all efforts to invade until nearly the medieval era.

Also seems to have been a bit of a nerf on siege units in the later stages of the game; whereas under R&F I could take a rocket artillery corps or army and knock down city defences in a turn or two, that seems to no longer be the case - the damage from siege units seems limited in the late game. Could be that the 'era' really matters (ie: don't try to use older siege units late in the game) but on my first game (on only King level) I had an RA army in the appropriate era as Canada and was trying to liberate a city for DPs and it barely dented the defences after multiple attacks.

Jet Bombers. Once you get to late game this is the quickest way to end it.

Also the reason it takes longer to kill a city is the buff to walls.

Yes the buff to walls wasn’t the greatest idea because now the AI has even more trouble taking walled cities.

I’ve messed around with the buildings.xml file and adjusted the wall strength to zero for all civs and holy crap dido DOW me on Deity and took my coastal city in 2 turns with one caraval haha.

Ideally, a great mod would be for the human player to have zero defences, the AI to have even stronger defences vs. Human but twice as weak vs other AI’s.

I was looking for urban defences so I could change those as well but it’s not in the civics.xml file. Does anyone know where this is?

Also, I notice walls are still defined as “walls”, “castle”, “fort” in the game files. Wish they would have kept these names in the game.

Last edited:
I was looking for urban defences so I could change those as well but it’s not in the civics.xml file. Does anyone know where this is?

Also, I notice walls are still defined as “walls”, “castle”, “fort” in the game files. Wish they would have kept these names in the game.
Technologies.xml Modifiers, ModifierArguments, & TechnologyModifiers tables.
Code:
<Row>
  <ModifierId>STEEL_UNLOCK_URBAN_DEFENSES</ModifierId>
  <ModifierType>MODIFIER_PLAYER_GRANT_CITIES_URBAN_DEFENSES</ModifierType>
</Row>

<Row>
  <Name>DefenseValue</Name>
  <Value>400</Value>
</Row>

<Row>
  <TechnologyType="TECH_STEEL">
</Row>

Wow, I've never seen an AI with 5k military strength, that's a lot. Depends on what endgame means though.

Maybe you could get them to build a huge military if you just keep them in perpetual war but never actually attack. Might try that at some point.
I normally play with mods (before they broke, at least).

I usually play on Immortal + Giant map size (from YnAMP) + Take your time mod (for 2x culture/science times). Gives the AI plenty of room to expand and enough time to spam units between eras.

I frequently saw the AI with huge militaries.

Pic is from an old game. He actually had closer to 8K strength at one time, iirc, but he'd been at perpetual war with the other AI's.

Attachments

• Take Your Time.png
    Take Your Time.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Top Bottom