1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Military Strength

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Carl5872, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Carl5872

Carl5872 Prince

Is there a way to tell a civ's military strength besides the demographics? The demographics only shows the top bottom and you. But If I am contemplating invading someone in the middle, how am I to know if they are 2nd or 2nd to last?

Also I don't use any mods because they prohibit achievements, so please keep your answers to the unchanged game.

2. Bergerperson

Bergerperson An actual Canadian

I'd say best check your military adviser. If he says "I think I saw the (NAME'S) only unit" or "We are stronger than (NAME'S) military" then you have a safe bet you can win. If he gives the "Our armies are pretty much the same" then with a decent strategy you can win. If he gives anything other like "They're stronger than us" or "They have an army that can wipe us off the map" then I'd suggest building up your military first.

3. Heretiv

Heretiv Warlord

Under the 'Demographics' screen you can see the first place, last place and your score.
    Which can help you work out if you are top of the hill or not.

4. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

From lowest to highest, your Military Advisor's assessments of another civ's strength are, (roughly paraphrased):

1. "Doubt they have any army at all"
    2. "Think I saw the only unit they had"
    3. "Doesn't have as strong a military as us"
    4. "Roughly the same size as ours"
    5. "Stronger military than ours"
    6. "Not to be trifled with"
    7. "Wields a military that could wipe us off the planet"

#1 on that list seems to indicate the military strength of that civ is half of yours or less, while #7 on that list seems to indicate that the military strength of that civ is twice yours or more.

5. mclericp

mclericp Warlord

use Infoaddict, it is nearly a must.
    Because infoaddict gives you details of each civilisation.
    So i know who is no. 2, no. 3 in military and u can also see everyone's relationships with each other.

6. OneRedBlock

OneRedBlock Chieftain

Infoaddict isn't very precise, but it does scale your opponent's army rating from "Pathetic" to "Dominant" or something a lot like that, unless I'm missing out on a feature.

7. Ford

Ford Warlord

:crazyeye::hammer2::lol:

8. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Personally, I don't need no bleeping' achievements as judged by Steam/T2K/Firaxis.
    My achievements are formulated on MY values.

Of course, this makes it SO much easier to justify using InfoAddict; not to mention my own personal mod, and Trade Opportunities, and Condensed Promotions. :D

9. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

The problem is way military values are calculated are utter bunk. You may have a hundred warriors, but they're not going to hold up long against my highly promoted small group of Samurai and Crossbowmen. Yet, somehow, the military advisory will declare the warriors will win.

Ever since Vanilla, the military calculation has needed a tune up, and it's never been something Firaxis has addressed.

10. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

If you don't want to use InfoAddict nor trust the adviser there's 2 things you can do.
    1.)Denounce, and if that civ shares borders with you you will see it's forces mobilize near your borders. Especially if you do the same.
    2.)DOW, a sure fire way of knowing.......

Personally I prefer inofaddict

11. jogi

jogi Chieftain

You could also just trade for open borders and send a scout into their territory. Then you'll know exactly what you're dealing with.

12. SYKOJAK

SYKOJAK Warlord

You just can not refute, good hard recon. Don't forget, the Civ in question may have forces out of sight, when you do your recon sweep. Be those forces out on Barbarian patrols, attacking another 3rd party Civ, or out exploring. You won't know until you take a peek.

13. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

You can look at your military advisor. Unfortunately, your military advisor seems to have a tendency to have information about everyone except who you actually go to war with.

Also, the AI is terrible, so if the military advisor says anything other than he will wipe you off the map, you should be able to win a war with ease. If he can wipe you off the map, then it's probably a good idea to build up a little bit before declaring war.

14. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Military advisor hasn't changed since Civ 3. In only takes in the account of numerical superiority. To put it simply, AI is operating as Persians while the Humans is operating as the 300 spartans.