1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mimics Can Gain Spell Casting Promos?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by mcwill123, Feb 2, 2010.

1. mcwill123

mcwill123 Pretender to the Throne

I was playing last night 0.41 patch L. One of my mimics was able to cast Regenerate. I assume he gained this by killing a mage. I don't remember this happening in the past. Is this intentional?

2. loocas

loocas Prince

Isn't that cool? I love farming priests with them. I'm assuming it's intentional.

3. mcwill123

mcwill123 Pretender to the Throne

Yeah, it is cool. A few of them are now also Vampires and at least one can summon skeletons. BTW what is the deal with Vampires not being affected by destroy undead?

4. Zifnab

Zifnab Warlord

They aren't undead.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=303758

5. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Vampires in Erebus are very much alive. They are mortals who devour the souls of other mortals in an arcane ritual in order to extend their own lives. I suspect that each soul consumed extends the vampire's life by however long the victim could have lived before dying of natural causes. If a vampire merely wants to stay alive, it only really has to feed on one soul every 30 years or so. Vampires tend to prefer to glut themselves though, and are able to convert the excess power from such souls into superhuman strength and a high healing factor.

Vampires still need to eat normal food too. Many of them enjoy the taste of blood and get a large proportion of their caloric intake from drinking it, but others have more refined tastes and prefer to have sumptuous banquets of food most mortals would enjoy. Drinking blood is in no way necessary for a vampire, but I suspect it may have a similar effect on them as wine so many do become addicted to it.

Vampires are not vulnerable to garlic, crosses, or holy water. Their one weakness is direct sunlight, and that is not fatal. Direct sunlight robs a vampire of all his superhuman strength, but does not make him any weaker than a normal mortal of similar musculature. More importantly however, it causes the vampire intense pain and often makes their normally cold rational mind panic. This weakness is a curse from Lugus, as punishment for Alexis murder (in the first ever use of the vampiric ritual) of his beloved acolyte Lanthis. I hold that Lugus is not vindictive, but would only punish in order to help the guilty party recognize his guilt in order to lead him to repent. As such, I suspect that the pain is not so much physical as it is a magnification of the vampire's own conscious, forcing him to feel remorse for his crimes.

It seems that sunlight may have a similar but different effect on Werewolves in Erebus. It magnifies the werewolf's conscious and makes him remember his true nature as a mortal, allowing the beast to regain rationality and human(/elf/dwarf/orc) form. It appears that most werewolves are human during the day and monsters at night, and that the phase of the moon is irrelevant. Greater werewolves, however, have come to the point of accepting their bestial form as as much part of them as their mortal self, and so can change form at will rather than being controlled by the cycle of the sun.