1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mind rating this America UA? Gain a free Settler upon entering a Golden Age.

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Galgus, Jan 26, 2014.

1. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

While I love the Minuteman to death (it might actually be my favorite UU in the game), I can't help but think that if one UU had to be dropped for something new, the B-17 is more important to represent.

I hope that VI might introduce a third unique to every civilization, because America with the Minuteman, B-17, and Pioneer would be just about perfect.

One way to represent a pioneer without adding a unit? This tweaked (admittedly OP) UA:

Manifest Destiny: All land military units have +1 sight. 50% discount when purchasing tiles. Scouts may found cities.

A Scout that could settle new cities would approximate a Pioneer unit -- fast moving, nominal defense against barbarians, doesn't hinder growth during production. Too bad it would be totally unbalanced. America could easily settle three new cities before anyone else has settled one.

2. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

Alternatively, what if Great People could found one city each, and the action would not consume them?

Alternate attempt to represent pioneers.

3. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

America was the regional bully almost from its inception but it wasn't until the Spanish American War that it was established as an actual global presence and it wasn't until the World Wars that it was established as the global presence. Before the late nineteenth century the only country that really had to worry about what America was doing was Mexico.

One alternative would be to replace the B-17 with something else that represents modern America, of course. I had an idea a while back where, upon reaching the Modern Era, the Great Writer would be replaced by the Great Director. Maybe they could be unlocked at Railroads as a reference to The Great Train Robbery. This would reset the great person counter so you start with them as if you just built the guild. In addition to creating Great Works of Cinema (placed in writing buildings because honestly those are all for performances not books) the Great Director can put on a Film Festival, which provides 50% of the culture of a Treatise and 50% of the tourism of a Concert Tour. This would give America an edge in the culture victory since they're essentially getting 1.5 more Great Musicians to finish off the game than every other civ.

Granted, licencing issues make this is a complete no-go for the official game. Would make a neat mod, though. Not sure if it's even possible with what coding modders have available, there isn't anything else in the game that resets a meter to mimic for this purpose.

4. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

It seems unfair to judge early America as a minor nation based upon the superpower status of modern America.

The separation from Europe had more to do with the Atlantic Ocean and sentiment of avoiding foreign entanglements than any weakness compared to European nations.

The frontier and the push west is something actually somewhat unique about America, so I prefer focusing on early America.

5. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

Post-AoE civs are to be judged by their effect on global politics. America had very little influence other than expanding into areas that white people considered open territory and making Mexico look very foolish. The Monroe Doctrine was primarily backed by the threat of the British navy because America had not the power to impose its will on other not-Mexico-or-indigenous nations until late in the nineteenth century.

I understand the desire to focus on early American and Manifest Destiny because its certainly a very important part of America's nationalistic pride story. I simply disagree and prefer to focus on when America was at its peak, the time when immigration turned America into a nation of nations rather than being fractured by differences like so many of their European counterparts, the time when America asserted its authority as one of three powers in the world who's opinion really mattered, the time when American culture spread throughout the world whether the world liked it or not, ensuring that Ethiopians would drink Coca-Cola and Indians would wear suits and ties to important meetings and the Japanese would drop their native instruments and pick up electric guitars. Very few, if any, other empires have successfully imposed itself on the entire world to the effectiveness of the 20th century United States and I think that's really cool (albeit horrible and terrifying in non-history-nerd ways).

6. mdl5000

mdl5000 Prince

What made the USA exceptional in the 1900s is air power alone, not just the B17. For America's UA, a production bonus when building air units would've been better.
    But that's only because I'm partial to the P51 Mustang. Now THERE'S an airplane.

A good idea. But would it have to replace the great writer? It's not like there weren't any writers born after film. Instead, what if this Great Filmmaker was born based on all of your writer, artist, and musician points combined?

The great work it creates could also complete the theme bonus of any cultural building. This avoids the obvious problem of not being able to swap it with another civ.

7. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

This is a nice idea. It's simple and different. I don't believe it will unbalance either because in the early game there are not enough Great People to make the civ explode more than a civ taking Liberty, but in the late game when the great people start coming in droves it would help cover the last free lands as the USA did in the 1800s.

8. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

Like it or not, but American culture is the first and only truly global culture. I think an American UA should reflect that somehow? Also, we all know America = $, so another focus would have to be on economy. Its not the worlds largest economy for nothing.

At the same time, it should be a late bloomer of sorts, so I would make the American civ like this;

UA; 25% faster/cheaper border growth. Cities with a railway connection to the Capital gets +15% :c5culture:, :c5gold: and :c5production:.
    UB; Ranch. Replaces Stable and gives +1 :c5culture: and +1 :c5gold: per Pasture. (cowboys!)
    UU; Minuteman or B-17... I dont know which one I prefer...

... or something....

Maybe a unique Hollywood wonder instead of Ranch...?

9. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

@ Securion

Part of the conundrum is which era of the U.S. to focus on, since there are a lot of potential themes to draw on.

I personally prefer the old frontier days, but there is a lot of design space.

10. forcedalt

forcedalt Warlord

Well, yeah, using Washington as leader ,and , Minuteman as UU , they definitely want to focus on the early history of the nation.

I like the UU settler better than something that : forces possibly forces unwanted settlers upon you.