1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Minds of Arete

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by Seymoo, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Seymoo

Seymoo The Sexmaster General

The young Seymoo sat on the grass, no ordinary grass, but his grass, granted to him by the generosity of the legion. No other man could now claim it. But no other man would want to if he was honest. It was all very picturesque with a hill on one side, a forest to the north and a river bending in between them. And of course the mighty capital to the south, not too far, one day the others would all realise the potential of such a fine location. But for now it was pretty useless, just grass, enough to survive on of course, but what possible use for it? I cannot just spurn such a gift from the legion. I should use it to honour them. However as he tried to think of uses his mind inevitably wandered to other topics, what use for the hill next to here? This line of thought was all useless as it was not his land. Then he was struck by a thought, as he often was. Without hesitation he returned to the city and found the central square. There he waited until it was at it's busiest before making his declaration

"I, Seymoo of the Philosophers legion, do hereby invite all with keen minds to join me for a council, the Minds of Arete, on my land. Here we shall discuss all we can of the world around, we shall observe, think, and strive to know all that there is to be known about it. We meet at dawn tomorrow"

He didn't like the time, but without anyway of measuring the rest of the day, any other meeting time would cause far to much confusion

2. Ballazic

Ballazic King

I am in a similar situation. In my land it also grass, but there is also these plants that stain cloth in different colors.

3. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Here's something for the Phylosophers to debate:

A Cugar in the South
    A Bird in the North
    Paradise becons
    Wet bounty of the East
    Promise in the West
    New star rising

4. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

A young acolyte hears the statement made by Seymoo as he wanders by, and stops:
    "This sounds interesting to me. What do you plan to discuss?"
    The acolyte looks as being not a day over eighteen but he is still very tall and has a look of authority over him. He is balded and wears simple clothes and no shoes. He holds a small thing in one of his hands, not visible to anyone.

5. Seymoo

I am currently interested in the world around us, it is imposible to believe that we have all the knowledge of our world that we need. While the warband explores what is beyond our borders, we should discuss what is within our borders. For surely there is more use to be found next to our city. Already we are harvesting the fish of the sea and preparing to tame the beasts of our fields. I am particularly curious in these strange plants ballazic talks of, I see this as a good place to start, perhaps he could bring a sample.

6. Diamondeye

Oh, but most of the issues you ask for, I am sure the Head of Faith can explain to you. His hut is very easy to find. But I am willing to discuss this with you on your hill at sunrise tomorrow.

By the way, as you may or may not need I am a part of the Protectors of Faith and spend a lot of my time... Thinking of explanations like these. I find that this is best done in solitude. Can I live out on your hill for a while? The village here is starting to get crowded.

7. Seymoo

I am afraid the hill does not belong to me, you shall have to ask badhron, and while you are welcome to use my land I cannot guarente you the solitude that you request.

I am aware of the wisdom of the Head of Faith, but I cannot say it is a good way to understand the world. How are we to advance if we only ask questions of those older than us in the tribe? I am interested in those things not already known by the tribe.

I invisage the mind of Arete to be a small group of the tribes cleverest young men, to think further than our elders and beyond what we now know. We will meet here in my peaceful field on occasion and discuss all that we have thought and considered. Thus with our minds working together we shall be able to conquer every problm this world puts ahead of us. Then afterwards I thought we could pop down to the poverty pub and try and hook up with girls. Contemplating in solitude has never seemed to help me in that respect.

8. Diamondeye

Oh, I am afraid I cannot join you in the fun afterwards, but I will more than happy to discuss issues yet unknown with you. And I just thought you mentioned your ground being a hill... I can do fine on plain ground aswell - if you still want to let me live there - just for a while?

9. w00ter

w00ter Warlord

Also I am in the situation of a seemingly useless piece of grassland. But I don't worry about it, for I am still living in the city, studying.

I agree with you, Seymoo, that we should think for ourselfs, and do not need to ask for guidance of the Faith. It may be that grass which I own was planted by some divine being, but it could also be that there is another explanation for this.

10. Seymoo

Diamondeye, my mother taught me never to refuse kindness to a man of faith and so you are of course welcome to live on my land. The clarity of mind the solitude shall give to you cannot but help the discussions of the group.

Wooter, it is good to meet someone in the same mind and situation as myself, I shall enjoy our discussions and debates, and eventual revelations. Most probably we shall discover the world is exactly as our men of faith tell us, but it is no matter, for oft the journey is greater reward than the final destination.

11. Ballazic

Ballazic King

Seymoo I apalogize for being late with your request, I had business to attend, anyways. The plants is most strange. I have been experimenting with it. It gives off color to cloth. It stains, but mixed with hot water you can change the overall color of the fabric.

Anyways I named the plant Tintura. Also I can't really organize a full scale harvest and development of this until i have a better way to organize time and labour. Until know i will continue to tinker with it and hopefully some day it will greatly benefit our city.

12. w00ter

w00ter Warlord

I do not see the potential of colouring animal skins. Will it strike fear into our enemies? Will it enhance the durability of our animal skin clothing?

13. Seymoo

Do not be so hasty Wooter to dismiss it. Pray tell me Ballazic, what colour does this tintura stain? Can you bring us a sample of the clothing? I am not a big man and I have been thinking I could use a way of standing out from the crowd

14. Diamondeye

Do not underestimate the power of this strange colouring plant. If used right, color can be both weapon and enjoyment, just think of the poisonious insects that are acidgreen or all icky yellow or the beautiful and enjoyable flowers and fish. I think this will greatly benefit us once you have mastered it's use.

And thank you for your kind offer, Seymoo. How many will the Minds of Arete be?

15. w00ter

w00ter Warlord

I see more use for this plant extract in other ways. We could maybe use it to draw symbols of power for our rituals! Speaking of symbols... do you think there is a power behind special-shaped carvings?

16. Diamondeye

That is a tough question... My immidate thoughts would be that symbols do have some sort of power. Perhaps patterns do... I mean, if you look closely on a piece of weaved cloth, you can see that it is a pattern with small, greyish "knots", but when seen from a distance, it looks as one, plain colour. In the same way, I guess one could cut a stone or paint clothes or tents...

But there are some powers innate to colours. I feel comfortable when seeing blue as that usually represent the ocean and the sky, as these things are steady and calm, so am I when spotting blue. Red, on the other hand, is the colour of blood and intestines, signs of battle. I am upset when seeing red. And so on.

Hmm. That question deserves a well-though-through answer, I might have to use some time to think it through.

(OOC: We need Writing or Aesthetics or summat soon for this to make sense, it is difficult to answer a question like that without revealing some simple knowledge of either)

17. w00ter

w00ter Warlord

((OOC: That is why I kept it as vague as possible :p))

Indeed these are interesting subjects to research, but we are also here to see what we need most at the moment.

So in other words, what are our problems, or what could still be optimized?

18. Diamondeye

Would anyone disagree when I state our most obvious problems are:
    Food,
    Safety,
    Shelter,
    Room to Expand our tribe,
    and spiritual enlightment to the entire tribe?

19. w00ter

w00ter Warlord

I don't think that food is a problem, we've got more then enough fish to feed our people, and we already know the way of how to catch these fish.

Our scouts have not reported any signs of barbarian activity, so safety is not our goal at the moment. We are save.

Shelter, expansion and elightment are indeed the things to focus on. Although our new found settlement has enough room for our expanding population, we should look to found a new settlement for securing the rich and furtile lands the Warlords have discovered.

20. Seymoo

Well we it is best not to be a large group, the quality of the discussion is more important than the quantity. Those who have already shown the desire for discussion here today should be more than enough.

On to the matter at hand, and it appears we move on to greater matters, the very direction of the tribe. We should be careful lest our young heads grow too large. I disagree that we should relax as we have not found the enemy yet, Be assured there are enemies out there.

You have no doubt heard rumours of another tribe, called the spanish, let me confirm to you that they were spotted very close to our borders, and destroyed a nearby town little worse off than ourselves. As glorious and beneficial as the warbands exploration has been, it must be remembered that they have taken the best warriors from our tribe, anything more than a disorganised rabble could destroy us utterly right now.

I have spoken a little hastily perhaps, this is information I have gleaned from my position as apprentice to way of the word, and is not yet fully public knowledge. I must ask you to not divulge it to others as we must avoid a panic amongst the tribesfolk. The warband I believe is to return and specially trained scouts sent to explore instead. I hope I can trust in your discretion.