Miniature Earth PBEM

I had some issues with Vista and the stoopid in game emailer. I have since replayed my turn and saved it as normal and resent it.

I have 3.19 and have changed nothing at all. I have never downloaded any units, mods or anything else. It is just out of the box and upgraded.

I am at work at the moment but I will be finished at about 2000hrs UK Time so will try and find out what is wrong and use that program mentioned.

Back from work now. I will get that program and do it all again. If it doesnt work I am at a lost. I ahve two other PBEM games so I will see if it is something that I am causing.

Give me 20 minutes or so :D

Right.

I have installed the PBEM Emailer. I have resent the save to the original email address DMOC sent me. If that doesnt work I will send it to the other address he has given me.

For info, I have installed the complete edition of Civilisation IV which includes both expansions. I have then downloaded the 3.19 patch and installed it.

About this build reads: Civ Version 319, Save version 302, Build Version 3.1.9.0 (128100), Build Date Thu May 14th 15:17:10 2009, Build FINAL RELEASE, Mod Name NONE.

Let me know if I am missing something.

I suspect somehow the Complete version has different assets to the ordinary Civ4 + BtS version (that the majority of civfanatics would be using). Don't ask me how.

Oakster can you try doing a install where you intentionally skip warlords? I'm not sure how installation works for Complete, but it's possible the Warlords assets have something to do with this problem.

DMOC, can you post a screenshot of the error you are getting? Of if you can't get a screenshot the exact error details.

I am going to send a test PBEM game to both DMOC and The Oakster to see if we can isolate the cause. Can you both please play your turn in the test game and return it to me? At this point my best guess is the problem is on Oakster's installation. Using the Complete version for PBEM should work of course, but I'd bet a lot of players who've had the game long enough to play PBEM have not been using the Complete version, and so there's probably a mismatch between Complete and Regular that hasn't been reported so far.

We might need to make a bug report, or send the savegame to one of EmperorFool, jdog5000 or DanF5771 in the hope they will be able to debug the problem.

Since I don't have DMOC's email, here is the save for you DMOC...

Attachments

• Test_Game_DMOC_BC-4000_to_Hatshepsut.CivBeyondSwordSave
    11 KB · Views: 43
DMOC are your other PBEM games still working? I suggest that you make a new game, send it around the same turn order, and if it works we'll roll with it.

DMOC why can't you send me the savefile I sent you? I'm trying to see whether the problem is on yours or Oakster's end, but I've received the save from neither of you.

The alternative thing we can try is having Oakster send your save to someone else. If when they try to open it it crashes as well, we will have isolated the problem to something on Oakster's system.

Actually, now I'm wondering if all this is just because Oakster has a Steam copy of the game, or whatever the other downloadable versions are called. They are probably not compatible with the versions we are using.

Back from work :D

I don't have a steam version, it is the Civ IV complete version purchased from a shop. Not steam, not copied, not downloaded, nothing.

I will try the test save and give it back to you.

If it fails I will drop out until I get the problem sorted. Is there any inner workings Guru's that could possibly look at the issue?

Test game save returned to PieceOfMind

(crosses fingers and closes eyes)

The test save from The Oakster works.

Is it possible that it is indeed on DMOC's end? Or somehow an issue only between Oakster's and DMOC's computers.

*breathes a sigh of relief*

Top Bottom