Minimise problems - again

chris911t

Chieftain
Just as in Civ5, in CivBE there's no way to minimise the game. Alt-Tab doesn't really work at all well, nor does Windows+D (or M) and no minimise button in windowed mode.

CivBE seems worse than Civ 5 in this way, because in Civ 5 there was a workaround where you could set the game to full screen (or windowed mode), then say No to the confirmation, whereupon the extra controls appeared next to the Close (X) button in the top right hand corner of the game window.

Usually that was enough to get the thing to stay down on the task bar, although it did sometimes have an annoying tendency to sit in the background, over the desktop, at times.

Now with CivBE the workaround no longer works - the missing controls don't appear so the game never stops showing in the desktop. Well... I can press Windows + D and it shows the desktop, but as soon as I click anther app on the taskbar the darned thing pops back up again.:mad:

This makes it almost impossible to play the game, since in my (older, Civ 4 and earlier) Civ games I tend to leave the game running on the task bar when I need to do other things.

So I've now shelled out for two Civ games that I'll never play - I just can't devote all that time to the game constantly over the period of time that a game takes, I need to leave it and come back to it.

And... no saving and closing isn't an option, despite having a pretty decent spec PC the game runs like a dog. It also makes other apps run like a mouse/cursor in treacle.

Task manager shows it as not using much CPU (but a fair chunk of memory) but the effect on the machine overall suggests that there's some serious resource-hogging going on.

Given that this game doesn't need to do anything much, other than when the Next Turn button is pressed, that's a pretty poor show.

I see some old Civ 5 threads on this got no real replies so I'm not holding out much hope of a fix. BUt it's annoying that I can't use these games as they stand, certainly not CivBE.

Is there any way to exert some pressure on the developers to sort this out?

Memory is still needed by the game even when it isn't doing calculations in order to store information it will need later. This is normal, not "a pretty poor show".

I do agree that the lack of proper alt tab is a problem the developers should have taken care of.

Memory is still needed by the game even when it isn't doing calculations in order to store information it will need later. This is normal, not "a pretty poor show".
Thanks for your reply.

I know memory is still needed, I was clearly referring to the overall effect the game has on the performance of the PC (16Gb memory, i7 processor, dual GTX 580s). Not top drawer nowadays but still good, certainly should be easily enough for a turn-based game (Civ 4 is effortless).

No other game does this, even MMOs that do need to run in background because things will be happening in a constantly-changing game world (including the death of AFK players!). So it is a very poor show when every other game I've played on this machine does not have either of these problems.

Civ 5 & CivBE can be at the initial menu screen and still the whole machine is deathly slow, including the game itself. It's badly coded. The only possibility is that it doesn't like dual graphics cards but they're supposed to have fixed the Crossfire/SLI issues with Civ 5 a fair while ago.

I'm surprised that only one person seems to care about this - does everyone else have hours at a time to spare so that they can run Civ without doing anything else on their PC all that time?

Sometimes it won't alt tab properly if I just hit alt tab, but I can usually get it to work if I continue to hold down alt after I press tab and I get the selection of windows to pop up.

Also, my PC isn't as good as yours and BE isn't causing me performance issues. Maybe whatever is causing it only happens on certain types of computers.

@Chris I rarely divide my focus between a game and something else. If I want to do something not BE and the game isn't finished I save and quit.

Top Bottom