minimum length of war?

xr006

Chieftain
it seems the AI will never discuss peace early in a war, even if I'm winning battles. is there a 10 turn minimum on AI wars? (prince, bts 3.19)

I'd like to post the save but how do I do that? is there a way to upload the save to this site? if not what host do ya'll use?

also, I never pick below Prince anymore, but I'm having trouble being consistently successful in Prince, anyone have any tips? seems like I got screwed this game being next to 3 war mongerers, huayna, boudica, hannibal, they will not leave me alone for more than a few turns, and I can't tech fast enough as a result. they aren't doing so great either but still... I've been getting lucky in battles

on my other side I have elizabeth, charlemagne, pacal who have all left me alone so far, if they attack me, I fear the game will be over.

I'm playing a huge map, marathon with 18 civs, so there's still 2 continents with more civs I haven't had contact with yet. how can I get the civs on my continent to chill out? I tried taking Hannibal and Boutica at one point but I couldn't pull it off.

It depends on the leader, they each have a "refusal to talk time" which tends to be low for peacemongers and high for warmongers.

I use photobucket to upload pictures.

You can upload saves to this site -> Go Advanced -> Manage Attachments.

Diplomacy is key above noble, especially with 18 civs. Don't just flat-out refuse to give into demands, giving into demands for cheap techs early gives you a nice diplo boost. Also pick a side when the AI divide into factions (usually based on religion). Aim to get the most dangerous AIs up to pleased or friendly, if you can't consider attacking them preemptively.

Hope that helps a bit!

here's my save from 1 turn after charlemagne declaring

thanks for the tips, I understand about picking a side. I think what pissed him off is I did not take his religion, maybe I should have done that, then went against Boutica and hannibal w/ Gandhi as my vassal. maybe take them over, then have me charlemagne huayna, gandhi, pacal, against the other continent...

i think that at this point it is screwed. i may go back to auto saves and accept charlemagne request to change to budhism.... I also had a long standing gift of gems to him, which I canceled to make another deal..... or maybe the war can be stopped.. I'll try tomm. I have nationalism, what type of unit will get if I draft? also, charlemagne has airships. I am a few turns away from military tradition

what is the strategy behind giving into tech demands early? because the techs are only 50-150 beakers?

I also playing with tech brokering off, because I just can't keep up with the stupid AI passing everything around to each other, and I turn espionage off because I think it's annoying more than anything, sometimes I play with it on

what is the strategy behind giving into tech demands early? because the techs are only 50-150 beakers?

I also playing with tech brokering off, ...
The strategy of giving into tech demands (early, late, and usually) is to keep the AI from getting mad at you, to get the AI to like you, and to buy 10 turns of peace. We should look at a demand as an opportunity to buy a better relationship.
With tech brokering off, there is almost no downside to giving in to a demand. The recipient can't pass it on to anyone else.

0 turns. Declare, nuke every city x3 or x4, paradrop, capture. You can completely eradicate a civ on the very turn you declare this way on most maps.

Barring that, it's dependent on war success. If your war success is sufficiently high (say you fire off 10+ nukes and capture 4 cities without losing a single unit) and theirs is nothing, any AI in the game will talk the next turn. Usually, it's several turns however.

And there is Montezuma. I always have units near the border with him.

I always thought it was around 10 to 15 turns, but my last game has me wondering.

I was at war with Alexander on Earth 18 civs map on Prince for well over 400 years. He simply would not accept a cease fire or treaty. Problem is I was China, and I wasn't going to go way over there and conquer one of his cities to force peace. And I wasn't going to let him take one of mine!

I ended up switching religion. As he and 6 other civs were ganging up on me. I knew I couldn't hold out. I had to declare on Ghenghis take his city so I could get Hinduism and then convert. Don't be shy about converting. It may save your ass. Yeah I would have liked to stay in the religion I founded, but oh well.

I think it depends on the civ as mentioned. Usually they will allow a peace treaty after 15 turns or so. But sometimes you have to put up gold if they think they have the advantage over you. But for some reason the option to give gold never appeared with Alexander (I have tech trading off, but I should have been able to give gold). Barring that you can "force" them into a peace treaty by taking 1 or 2 of their cities. Although if you burn them, they may still refuse to talk. I think even Monty refused to talk with me after I took 2 of his cities (I didn't burn them), I think because he was still ahead of me militarily and he thought he had the advantage over me I suppose.

Top Bottom