Minimum System Requirments

richundo

Chieftain
I love FFH2 but my computer is continually freezing up on a standard size map just as I am getting into the initial late game stages. I have yet to actually finish a game. I am trying to decide if I will upgrade my computer or buy a new one. I am a student so I have very little to spend. Right now I have windows vista, an intel pentium dual processor (2 GHz), 2 Gigs of ram (not much, I know), a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 with 895 MB of memory. I got the computer used. Is it worth upgrading or is it time for a new one. What are the recommended requirments for FFH2 and FF? Is it higher than vanilla Civ4? I was also just forced into a MacBook for my Graduate program. I've had difficulty working Civ on there. Is it possible? With Mods? Thank you for your help.

Someone help me please! Should I be having problems like this with the game? Should it operate with a 2 gig processor and 2 gigs of Ram?
How big a video card do I need?

I have run FfH2 on a 2.4 GHz P4 with 1 GB of RAM under XP. Your computer should be adequate to the task, although I would expect the game to slow down quite a bit in the later stages of the game. Constant crashes would not typically be expected, although there are still some bugs in FfH2 that can cause crashing on any computer.

Since your computer was bought used, I am inclined to suspect it may just be getting old. If money was no object then I would definitely suggest buying a new one. Since it is, you will have to weigh your options. If you are having crashes, lockups, or other problems in other programs then that would confirm that this is not just a Civ4/FfH2-related problem, and you would want to look into troubleshooting the problem or just replace the computer. If your only problems are with Civ4/FfH2 then I would suggest completely uninstalling them both, and reinstalling them fresh to see if that helps. If not, then you could try upgrading your computer to improve the performance - but be aware that this will not necessarily eliminate the crashes.

I have a computer with even lower specs than that and am 300 turns into a huge map with all the standard civs and haven't had issues yet. True, I have time to get a beer and sandwich during the interturns, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately, the modmods seem to have stability issues, as I CTD with them in less than 100 turns.

Top Bottom