Ministry of Defense, Term 7

oh - and the last two turns have come in shortly after I got to the office (can't open the save at work) - but if we do get a turn in when I can get at it, I'll be happy to try to post some "pre-turn" screenshots for you to look at... if I we can beat Memphus to it. It's always possible...

Also - if there's some really big decision to be made on Defense, I'm sure Memphus will post screenshots and just hold the save till we can figgure out what we want to do.

Well, so the barbs are coming fast and furious now :devil:

My initial thoughts on dealing with the Axeman SE-SE-S of Immortal Keep: Our Axe NE of The Keep (that's Margay, right?), moves into the forest SE of the Keep, waiting for the barb to attack us. Our odds won't be too bad, with the defensive bonus from the Forest.

I'm just worried the barb may go for the mined hill instead of attacking us. If that's the case, we'll need to bring in a second unit from somewhere.

We need to find a backup unit for the interception of that barb, preferably an Axe. Can we shuffle some MP's now that we'll have a new Spearman?

I Suggest We Move the Axeman onto the hill and use the +10% Strenght Promotion.

The Catapult Can Fortify in the Forest. For added Chances it could use the +10% Strength and then +25% versus Melee Units.

Basically we don't want the Barb Axeman moving onto that Hill though.

Next Turn a Axeman Can be Dispatched from the Holy City as well as we have the other Catapult on it's way down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Seperate Topic where is the Maceman going? I strongly Suggest to the South East For the unit that will be the guard in Sunrise Citadel.

My vision for our first 2 caravels is to attempt a circumnavigation.

Send them along the top of the map in hopes of finding a "northwest passage". They will carry explorers who can trek across the last ice tiles if the caravels can't get through.

Explorers can travel over ICE??

If true, I can't believe I never knew that :blush:

A circumnavigation attempt is great, as we will likely find the other team's shores as well.

However, as this is a custom designed map, I would be surprised if two ships heading awayfrom eachother along the same latitude will be able to go all the way around. I would suspect a better plan is to send one NWish, the other SEish. The circumnavigation need not happen in the same latitude, after all ;)

Well, 2 out of 2 civs we have scouted so far extend to the polar regions. Maybe the other three are different, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The problem with other lattitudes is we run into established civilizations. We need a clear path for the explorers, and tundra (sorry, not sea ice) offers the best chance of that.

I understand you want to explore southeast, and I'm willing to build a third caravel to do it. But I think NE and NW with the initial caravels has the best chance of circumnavigating first.

Well, 2 out of 2 civs we have scouted so far extend to the polar regions. Maybe the other three are different, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The problem with other lattitudes is we run into established civilizations. We need a clear path for the explorers, and tundra (sorry, not sea ice) offers the best chance of that.

I understand you want to explore southeast, and I'm willing to build a third caravel to do it. But I think NE and NW with the initial caravels has the best chance of circumnavigating first.

I concure with this.

Aditionally if we look at General_W Proposed hub map that Puts Us in the North (We know this) Loco & Pfiffle in the South (We know this) Logic would lead to believe that Aloha and Innovia are also in the north but after the sea.

So be jetting out to the NE and NW we will have to cross a small mass of land to ciumnavigate but well worht it for the +1 Movement

Okay, I think I'm misunderstanding something here. I thought circumnavigation was only achieved when a naval voyage returned to the same line of longitude - two ships heading in opposite directions, even though on different parallels, sufficing.

Are you saying that we can achieve a circumnavigation by using explorers over land combined with ships over ocean?

Really – all you need is line of sight all the way around the globe.

I once got the circumnavigation bonus without hardly sailing anywhere! :lol: - just got paper first, then aggressively traded maps with civs that had done more sailing than I.

Next to be settled, according to The List are:
Overlook Bay
Mighty Bulwark
Sunrise Citadel

So, because Sunrise Citadel is so far away, I think our new Maceman should start down that way. He should have no problems being held up by barbarians on the way.

As for the others, Road Guard is already close at hand to Mighty Bulwark; and we can pull a unit from the core (Margay, maybe?) a couple turns before the settler completes.

Anyone see any problems with that plan?

Sounds good - but doesn't cover how we'll gaurd our 3rd city?

I think there was some discussion about setteling somewhere other than Overlook bay first?

We're going to have to have a couple more units produced - unless we get luxury trade from somewhere, or just let a city have a little unhappiness. The third city (OverlookBay) is close enough to the core that we will likely pull a defender from an existing garrison, at least for the short term. Unless, of course, we get another couple units produced. Maces or Spears would be preferred.

Top Bottom