1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ministry of Defense, Term 9

Discussion in 'Team Epsilon' started by peter grimes, May 1, 2007.

1. Memphus

Memphus Deity

I Agree With Both Statements

1. Fog Buster.

That Axeman Can Go Fog Bust Once We take Care of that Longbow.

2. Coastal Defenses.
    We have 2 Caravels At the Moments

Personally I think Innovia is a Bigger threat At the moment and Suggest once We scout that Aloha City For Piffle we use both Caravels to Fog Bust.

But We Will need more units.

What should we use? Frigates? Caravels?

Frigates has the added bonus of being able to sink an oncomming Galleon, and a huge patrol range between turns.

2. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

I agree with all that as well.
    Even though we think Innovia is giving units to Aloha, that doesn't mean we're safe from their attack… even more so when we commit units to the attack in Loco land.

Also, on Fog Busting… I noticed when I was looking at the save this am, that now that we've founded Scion City, we can move that (ChoKuNu?) lookout 1 tile SW (to another hill) to eliminate the last bit of fog on our West Coast.

I'd vote to use Frigates to watch the seas. They're 30 hammers more expensive, but we'll be able to eat any Galleon's for lunch. I'd rather prevent an invasion landing than just see it coming. The bonus move on patrol just seals the deal, imo.

3. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

I propose a bit of a troop shuffle.

The new cavarly in Immortal Keep fortifies. He can respond to attacks on 2 coastal cities.

The axeman in immortal keep replaces the maceman fogbuster.

The maceman is now free to join our attack force.

4. Memphus

Memphus Deity

I Agree With that, But also suggest the Following Plan of Action on Our West Coast:

Cavalry Built in Mighty B fortifies as it can respond to Coastal Attacks in 3 Cities. Catapult from Mighty B joins Attack force as a cannon.

Spearman (think upgrade to Pikeman) from Sunset goes to Immortal K
    Spearman (think upgrade to Pikeman) from Sunset goes to Port of Mists

5. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Now that we have a good defense in SC, I think we can deploy our catapults to the front lines.

6. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Good Plan. Should we Also be Upgrading units every turn as available so as to disguise our funds?

7. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

I think it would be better to keep the money in gold, so as to disguise our power.

8. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Can we move that Line of Sight axeman onto the gems hill?

I'd rather fog-bust an Innovia invasion route than barbarians.

9. General_W

:agree: Innovia is the real threat now.

10. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I know that we're planning on upgrading catapults to cannons. That will cost 1200 (200 :gold: per unit), should we also upgrade Viking Convert to a Galleon (110 :gold:)?

I noticed that the current staging area SW of Dune is potentially visible to Innovia - their caravel can enter our city, and would see the stack. Moving the stack one square west would disguise it.

We'll be able to drop our forces off on the tile labelled "Cannons Land Here" without Loco having any idea that an attack is coming. On the second turn of The Great War, we'll move to the tile adjacent to Mycenean. I'm sure we'll take the city on the third (or even second turn, if our Cavalry is enough :D). Will we raze or keep it?

Then, will our stack proceed on foot, or by ship to Loco's core?

Will we use cav's to pillage every tile on the way (helping to finance our expedition)?

11. Memphus

Memphus Deity

1. Upgrade viking convert. Could be explorered but we'll have 3 ships. I would rather upgrade it to a frigate if we could :evil:

2. Caravel's can't enter City tiles so we are ok.

3. Keep the City easy to defend

4. We'll see at that point but cavalry will probably march by foot

5. Why pillage land when we will have all the cities in ~20 turns?

12. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

I was thinking have our units march on the Loco capital by land, with the galleons transporting our reinforcements (rifles + cannons) by sea. This should pretty much wipe out Loco if Innovia doesn't intervene.

The frigates are to guard our galleon stack from the Innovia navy.

Innovia and Loco both have line of sight in Mycenean, but it is a great launching point for ships if we can hold it until it comes out of anarchy.

13. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

You sure about that? I know that I've done it... but it's possible I've only done it with Open Borders. I'm really not sure.

14. Memphus

Memphus Deity

open borders only :)

15. General_W

Ditto that. Can't sail through without open borders.

16. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Actually, Caravels can sail through cultural boundaries without Open Borders. That's what makes them so useful. However, I'm still unclear as to whether or not they can enter a coastal city without Open Borders.

17. General_W

Sorry I was unclear.
    Caravels can clearly cross borders without an "open borders" deal… but they can NOT pass through cities without an Open Borders agreement.
    I'm pretty sure that's what Memphus was saying also.

I've tested this in a personal PBEM pretty recently :)

18. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

just tested it myself, in SP: you're correct. Without Open Borders, Caravels cannot dock at city piers. But they can sail into the bay ;)

19. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

We can do a transport chain trick next turn, to move the units in our last Galleon into Dune, without spending a turn at sea.

We should definitely bring the maceman. The 2 cannons will save us having to upgrade 2 catapults, but will leave SC lightly defended.

20. Memphus

Memphus Deity

There is always more troops on the way to SC. :)

Dave you'll have to perform the trick as Odds are I won't be here for the next save :(