Ministry of War: Babylon

Sarevok

Civ3 Scenario Creator
Though it might be a personal vendetta against Babylon (it is), I am thinking that in the future we will have to fight Babylon. Therefore it is in this coming exploration plan that we scout out the entire Babylonian border with several warriors so we can view any activity out of their land. I beleive they are a threat and that we should prepare to deal with them.

I am irritated that the DP dared alter my instructions, but I will not CC this time. Now that all of that time was wasted by incompetence, we know nothing of the Babylonian border except a general Idea of where it is. It may be too late because of this blunder, and we need to fix it or we shall be crushed.

- Sarevok
Ministry of War

I am, and always have been, against any war. That's why I want us to get the gems by getting them first, not by settling on some desert and then stealing them. :p

I agree, the babylons are the Civ3 culture power, we can't risk sharing a bordor with them. They must be eliminated as soon as possible, before they can have a chance to cause us any trouble.

I definately think we should take some time to expand our own territory, but I do agree that we will need to fight Babylon in time. I dont think we need alot of time just until we have a couple more cities.

I'm sure the Minister of Defense is talking of a Defensive war, not of offensive wars. There is plenty of room for our cities. And we've only scouted a little. There could be millions of miles of free space to our north.

I'm sure the Minister of Defense remembers the goal for our nation; To win by Diplomatic victory. Wars tend to make the nations we have had a war with a little less anxious to vote for us. And it can create the destruction of trade-routes, causing other nations to dislike us a notch more.

Just something to consider...

I'm just wondering who chose the diplomatic victory route, because I don't remember polling it. Anyways, even if it a diplomatic victory, we can wipe out the Babylonians so there is one less nation to vote against us :borg:

I'm pretty sure Sarevok is talking about hitting them first and hitting them hard.

Well then we'd better ask.

Minister Sarevok, are you intending to start an attack on the Babylonians, or is this merely our national defense being discussed.

Rik Meleet said:
I'm sure the Minister of Defense is talking of a Defensive war, not of offensive wars. There is plenty of room for our cities. And we've only scouted a little. There could be millions of miles of free space to our north.

I'm sure the Minister of Defense remembers the goal for our nation; To win by Diplomatic victory. Wars tend to make the nations we have had a war with a little less anxious to vote for us. And it can create the destruction of trade-routes, causing other nations to dislike us a notch more.

Just something to consider...
Good thing that in my defensive war to protect us, that I plan to cross the border and finish the job. We do not need a rampaging Babylon on our borders and sooner or lather they will threaten us and attack.

I'm just wondering who chose the diplomatic victory route, because I don't remember polling it. Anyways, even if it a diplomatic victory, we can wipe out the Babylonians so there is one less nation to vote against us

I'm pretty sure Sarevok is talking about hitting them first and hitting them hard.

Precisely, I never saw a victory poll and I know DS did not click out the other victory conditions which means in my eyes that diplomatic is a wish, not an absolute.

Well then we'd better ask.

Minister Sarevok, are you intending to start an attack on the Babylonians, or is this merely our national defense being discussed.

Pre-emptive probably, but I know they will attack when they are ready. Remember The Prince?

"There is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of others"

If we postpone it, we will suffer a large disadvantage, and im afraid that we will not hold back such a storm.

I am, and always have been, against any war. That's why I want us to get the gems by getting them first, not by settling on some desert and then stealing them.

Again, I quote from The Prince

"The First way to lose your state is to neglect the art of war, the first way to win your state is to be skilled in the art of war"

I am here to make sure we win our security and our state, and surrounded by powerful rivals that judging by their character (Babylon, Zulu, Romans are quite agressive) we will be forced to fight them and might even have a domino war on our hands. Pacifism in this situation will lose us the state.

I hope that all understand that I am not here for warmongering, but to make sure that our state can survive the future when we are surrounded by hostile powers that would destroy us when they are ready. I would rather fight the closest one to us when we are ready, not when both of us are. Therefore I am effectively asking the governor to mobilize for war against Babylon in this coming TC.

I agree a war with Babylon is likely unavoidable. However, I hope war won't come until the age of the Samurai, to maximize our advantage and minimize their advantage.

For now, we must expand, and prepare for that future offensive, once we've developed our own defenses first..

That was the general point. If anyone was wondering why I want a huge horse army, the answer is very clear. I have no intention of having such a war in Term 1, but Term 2 is almost a certainty.

I agree. With so many early UUs, War will likely be sooner rather than later. Creating "Pro-Active Defense" Units such as the Horseman and the Swordsman (in addition to the standard Spear Defender) will help to minimize our losses during the Ancient Era and ensure that we would get any one who crossed us back in... 'The Age of the Samurai!'

War is most definately unavoidable. Right now, I want to expand through settlers. After we have a larger production base, we can start on building a stronger military.

Zarn said:
War is most definately unavoidable. Right now, I want to expand through settlers. After we have a larger production base, we can start on building a stronger military.
Alright, but we must be prepared for war by the time we enter the Medieval Era.

For this office especially it will help if you use instructions which are defined in terms of the tactical or strategic objective. If your objective is to map the borders of a Babylon, then say "map the borders of Babylon".

I would prefer to rush some settlers over to all that great land and grab as much of it as possible, while maintaining a defense strong enough to deter aggression against us. If this strategy is successful, it won't be necessary to wipe out the Babylonians because we will have crippled their expansion to the point they are no longer a threat.

On the other hand, if we are not able to settle enough territory to get a comfortable lead in the score, some aggression on our part is inevitable. At that point we need to aim either for the biggest threat to us, or at the weakest available opponent, and it will be helpful to our long-term goal if we can arrange to not look like we're the ones starting the war. :D

We have to carefully plan when to attack Babylon. If we spend turns now building up a large military just to invade a relatively young and weak Babylon, then there's no point. But if we time it right when Babylon is culturally strong or their infrastructure is built up we can gain even more with victory.

So far, it looks like Babylon might be hindered by the huge mountain range. That will certainly hurt their growth. It's still early in the game, so let's just expand, and keep our defenses ready.

On another note, I get the feeling that we won't have to worry about barbs as much.

Let's see if Babylon is going to build any early wonders. This way we can take their wonders and their cities all at once.

Chieftess said:
So far, it looks like Babylon might be hindered by the huge mountain range. That will certainly hurt their growth. It's still early in the game, so let's just expand, and keep our defenses ready.

On another note, I get the feeling that we won't have to worry about barbs as much.
you may be right, we also have other civs "shielding us" from bards.

Sarevok said:
you may be right, we also have other civs "shielding us" from bards.

:lol: They must play/sing terrible music, then!

Top Bottom