Minnesota Catholic Dioceses sending out DVDs attacking gay marriage

Ajidica

High Quality Person
NPR said:
Winona, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota's Roman Catholic bishops are launching a new effort against same-sex marriage, with a DVD being mailed to parishioners.

Winona Bishop John Quinn writes briefly in the new issue of the diocese's newspaper that traditional marriage is under attack. He asks Catholics to contact their state legislators.

A spokesman for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis says the effort is being coordinated by the Minnesota Catholic Conference, the public policy arm of the church.

The state campaign coincides with a U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops effort called "Marriage: Unique for a Reason," which includes a 12-minute video.

Gay rights advocate Cindy Killion tells the Winona Daily News that the campaign is insulting to homosexuals. She calls gay marriage an issue of equal rights.
Link:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/09/20/catholic-samesex-marriage/?refid=0

So, opinions?
I am curious to see where the funding on this is coming from as the Catholic Diocese in Minnesota is considering closing down some parishes due to lack of funds.

Please don't turn this into a catholic bashing thread. We already had one of those recently.

I wish I could find the more complete article I breifly saw on yahoo but I couldn't find it.

I've had to wonder about that. Churches are starting to get involved in politics and government, so can the government start getting involved in churches?
The separation exists for the sake of both parties.

The Catholics prefer the exclusive "He who is not with us is against us." rather than the more inclusive "He who is not against us is for us."
Kudos if you know who said the latter (or even its context.)

Who is attacking traditional marriage? Last time I checked, you can still have a whole series of them.
Then that obviously isn't a traditional marriage, marriage is supposed to be permanent and all of theses people with the back bone of wet noodles are polluting it :mad:
The Catholics prefer the exclusive "He who is not with us is against us." rather than the more inclusive "He who is not against us is for us."
Kudos if you know who said the latter (or even its context.)

Jesus in teh Biblez

Eh, unless there's a gay marriage measure on the ballot, I don't see how this impacts their tax-exempt status.

contre said:
Eh, unless there's a gay marriage measure on the ballot, I don't see how this impacts their tax-exempt status.

It doesn't but someone isn't very tolerant of differing opinions.

It doesn't but someone isn't very tolerant of differing opinions.

To be totally fair, I'm not very tolerant of their opinion, especially given its basis.

Any church or non profit that is really actively promoting a political agenda shouldn't qualify for non-profit status. :dunno: It doesn't matter which side they're on.

Any church or non profit that is really actively promoting a political agenda shouldn't qualify for non-profit status. :dunno: It doesn't matter which side they're on.

They aren't talking a political party, merely an issue

Top Bottom