1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Minoan Civilization 0.2

Seafaring civ with bonuses to water tiles and a unique scouting ship

1. slicelonger

slicelonger Chieftain

slicelonger submitted a new resource:

Minoan Civilization - Seafaring civ focusing on naval power, and bonuses to water resources. Features a unique building providing housing and trade routes, a unique scouting ship with a custom promotion tree, and custom artwork.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Shiggs713 likes this.
  2. slicelonger

slicelonger Chieftain

3. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

nice job on this :)

4. neneu

neneu Chieftain

Why the icons don't appear? The civ does and I can play with it but no icons...

5. slicelonger

slicelonger Chieftain

Are you talking about on the civ selection screen before the game starts? Right now, there's no way to change/customize the icons there; they only appear in-game.

6. slicelonger

slicelonger Chieftain

Thanks a lot. I wanted to try to create a civ that could actually utilize water/ships in a meaningful way (w/out making it too over-powered). Let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions. :)

7. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

I will try this next:egypt:

8. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

Might I suggest you apply some Oilify or Cartoon filtering to the leader portrait to make it less like a photo and more like a painting? I have not looked at your diplomacy screes, et. al. but I would suggest that for them as well. Just that having a well-known actor as Minos is a little distracting... some filters would lessen the immediate recognizability.

9. Manifold

I started a game with your Civ on an island map and have fun:D

here are my suggestions:

LH:
    Evans believed that this is a picture of a Minoan prince, so it could be a nice LH. Of course a better picture of this mural would be great.
    Spoiler :

King Minos.jpg

UB:
    Call it Labyrinth. Doesn't matter it´s function as magazine, take the possible Minoan name.
    an additional trade route is maybe a little bit OP. What do you think about giving it the requirement that the city must be at the coastline.

UU:
    Did the Argo have an upgrade possibility?
    The name of the UU could be "Thirty-oared" if this sounds like the name of a unit.

Civ-Color:
    Spoiler :

Minoan.jpg

I like your selected colors, they look seriously. The Minoan murals have a lot of dark red color.
    I guess that some other Civs already have red color (e.g. Sparta, Spain, England) so maybe blue+orange like the skirts of the dancing women could be an alternative.

more citynames:
    Gortyn
    Kydonia -> Kutunaja
    Oaxos
    Praisos
    Rethymna
    Polichne
    Araden
    Archanes

You did a lot of god work, thanks.

10. Manifold

I´ve read something about a possible name for the Minoan UU ship:

Επακτροκελης = Epaktrokeles.
    This means something approximately: light and fast small ship moving on the coastline.

The term is not originally Minoan its Old-Greek and I personally don´t like the idea of a very small Minoan pirate ship. Especially the ships from the Minoan wall paintings are not so small. And thirdly I guess it was not possible to control the eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea with just Surfboards.

But the term is at least from the medieval time sometimes used for the ships of the fleet of Minos. It is not impossible that the original roots of the word has comes from the Minoan language. Alsoin present days the pirates of Somalia use very small ships. Huge trading ships were very vulnerable in most time. Last Epaktrokeles sounds atmospheric and alternative real.

Alternative the name of the Minoan UU ship could be just: Coastal Raider