Minor question, can you hack the Hall of Fame to

indicate that a game was an OCC?

I want to take out the title "weak" (and just use my name), and add in that it was an OCC.

Well, you could open up the GAME.TXT file, scroll down to @MALEFAME (and/or @FEMALEFAME), and replace "%STRING0 the Weak" with "%STRING0 (OCC)". This is, however, only a text change. To my knowledge, there is no way for Civ2 to differenciate between a regular game and OCC.

Thorvald of Lym said:
This is, however, only a text change. To my knowledge, there is no way for Civ2 to differenciate between a regular game and OCC.
You'd need to hack hallfame.dat for that. If you get hold of a hex-editor, that shouldn't be too difficult. I just had a sniff around the file; each game entry is 72 bytes:

2 bytes - Score (0xFFFF when scrubbed from list)
2 bytes - Difficulty level, refers to @DIFFICULTY table in rules.txt (0x0080 denotes Cheat Mode).
2 bytes - Number of turns
2 bytes - Date
2 bytes - Population/1000
2 bytes - Objectives (0xFFFF for non-objective game)
2 bytes - Unknown
2 bytes - Unknown
2 bytes - Scenario flag (0x0080)
2 bytes - Civilization Rating % (0xFFFF when score scrubbed)
2 bytes - Leader Gender (0x0000 = Male, 0x0001 = Female)
2 bytes - Leader Title, refers to @MALEFAME or @FEMALEFAME table in game.txt (0x0000 - 0x0017).
24 bytes - Leader Name String
24 bytes - Tribe Name String

You could easily add '(OCC)' to either the leader name or tribe name strings.

Changing the "weak" string in GAME.TXT is not going to help, because you get that label based on your score and not your civ size. Any non-OCC game you finish thereafter which has a similar score will then get the OCC label as well. Wobbegong's solution is an after-the-fact edit that you will have to apply to each game; there does not seem to be any hack or patch you can apply that will enable the HoF to recognize OCC games and automatically add that to the description. If you editted the LeaderName or TribeName and only used that one when you are playing OCC that would work, but you could not use any randomly generated games that set your starting civ to that one.

Actually, you could combine the info from Thorvald's and Wobbegong's posts...
Instead of replacing "the Weak" with "(OCC)", you could add a new line at the bottom of that list that says "%STRING0 (OCC)", and then hex-edit your OCC Hall of Fame entries' leader title to 18...

Or perhaps add just "%STRING0" to the game.txt, change the title number in hallfame.dat to 18 to use that, and then add the (OCC) to the tribe name in hallfame.dat instead for a perhaps more aesthetically pleasing result.

Top Bottom