Minor Tribes Suggestion

Mesix

The Allfather
The mod looks like a lot of fun. I haven't actually played yet due to a problem with the interface (reported in the bug section), but I have been watching Unclethrill play for awhile.

I really like the "Start as Minor Tribes" option. I have a suggestion to make it better. Currently this option slows the start of the game considerablly, yet the game still starts at 4,000 BC and progresses at the same pace. This causes the entire world to be at war, with civs that cannot enter diplomacy, and few wonders built until 2,000 BC or later. I would recommend that this option either move the start date back to 6,000 BC or slow the pace of the game for the first 1,000 years or so to keep the game play flavor but not mess up the historical timeline so much.

I completely agree. I've posted it in the Start As Minors discussion thread in the RevolutionDCM project forum, since it fits more there (also if I make this change, unless glider/jdog object I'd put it in the RevDCM core anyway).

Could perhaps instead of having a year displayed, why not just turn numbers? So instead of the display saying 600 AD while everyone is still running around with warriors, it could just say turn 20 or however many turns its been. Maybe its just me that doesn't really care for having a B.C. to A.D. chronology when there is usually no seminal event near the 0 A.D./B.C. year.

Lately I only play with Start as minors and it never crossed my mind it could slow down the game in any way (playing usually at Emperor level). Actually, the tech progression now is even more in accordance with real history (researching steam engine around 1780-1830). Start as Minor Civs takes a bit pressure from the human player in the beginning, but also forces him to build up considerable military to counter early invasions. I'd like to leave it as it is now.

Honestly though the year dates are messed up. But it's so hard to tune them. The file is CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml In the game info XML folder. It's hard to tune it. If someone wants to set it up so it's ballanced for a typical LoR game, please do so. BtS ain't set up proper with the dates, and niether is LoR, plus they change on different game settings. I think it would be most fun to and accurate to play on a Revolutions game starting as minors on Emperor difficulty.

I'll post here as my tuppence is mostly LoR specific (rather than RevDCM), plus the fact I still play on Noble (but on Earth maps with lots of civs :p)... starting as "minors", the games I've played feel they need an extra 50 turns either end... and that is already taking into account phungus420 already extended the turn count by 10% in 0.9.8.

I personally see Writing as a tech which should initiate an era change, let's call it "Pre-History" advancing to "Ancient". Also, writing allowed human societies to develop beyond city-states. In Civ4 LoR context, that basically means being able to have just 1 (perhaps 2 for huge+ maps) city until you get Writing, as prior then, a separate city state will always be wanting to splinter off... only once ancient cultures discovered writing did empires form.

This also takes me to my other beef with Civ4 in general, is that Civs starting with Mysticism will found religions (Buddhism & Hinduism) barely 20 turns into the game. Since religion also depended on writing to pass down the cultural meme... perhaps religion discovered in the "Pre-History" era should start holy-city-less and as "proto-religions".

Only once Writing is discovered, would a holy city spawn in a civ which is influenced with that religion... quite how this part should work I'm open to ideas? Something along the lines of whom has built up the most culture?

Or for a Great Prophet to found a holy city... in much the same way how Corps are formed. Hmm...

Top Bottom