Minting gold on luxury destruction.

Tesuji

Warlord
Winning on Deity level is still a struggle for me. But I found one way to make a lot of gold is to improve a luxury, sell it to an AI and then let a Barbarian destroy the improvement. It takes just 2 turns to restore and the AI seems to have no problem paying for the same luxury again every 10 turns or so (every 5 or 6 turns if you're lucky and the AI is rich enough), rather than every 30 turns.

Is this considered to be an exploit? Are there any drawbacks I'm not aware of?

This has been a known issue since the game came out, but it is now more prevalent since the AI will pillage more.

I personally think it is an exploit, much like getting a lump sum for GPT and then DOWing to get your GPT back, but everyone has their own opinion I suppose.

It is regarded as an exploit. In HOF games (and, on the honor system, in GOTM games), the following is regarded as an impermissible exploit:

"Repeatedly selling a resource (luxury, strategic, etc.) and pillaging or allowing Barbarians or other civs to pillage the resource or trade route to break the deal."

Emphasis on "repeatedly" and "allowing". Particularly with the new pillage/heal capabilities, one should expect tile improvements to be pillaged from time to time, so the exploit is doing it on purpose and repeatedly, as part of your strategy.

Sometimes I allow barbarians to pillage repeat luxes in pupetted cities to encourage the governor to work more farms.

Sometimes I allow barbarians to pillage repeat luxes in pupetted cities to encourage the governor to work more farms.

The only way to encourage such is to turn every single farm into a trading post. In other words, there should never be any regular farm hexes in any of your puppetted cities.

I was done conquering, all right on happiness, and going for a science victory.

The city was stuck at 2 pop working two improved silvers and ignoring an improved bananas, the gov. had already built a library and university. I wanted more science and after the silver was pillaged governor started working the bananas and a river-farm. After I got to four pop I repaired the silver mines, and started making TPs.

I think I made the right decision.

Haha, I love doing this! I wouldn't call it an exploit, the barbarians/enemy civs you're at war with don't always pillage so it's kind of like gambling. Granted, the amount of gold you can get means it's low sakes high reward gambling, but still gambling...

Top Bottom