Miscellaneous 'Broken Things' Thread

World map needs to be nerfed. Turn 300 on standard, and multiple AI are offering me 2500+ trade deals (40+ gpt) for my completed map. This is extremely exploitable, so the values should be turned down.

World map needs to be nerfed. Turn 300 on standard, and multiple AI are offering me 2500+ trade deals (40+ gpt) for my completed map. This is extremely exploitable, so the values should be turned down.
I've always wondered why I never managed to buy a world map at a reasonnable cost, but maybe that's just because the AI just estimate world map at a very high cost.

The map trade is only worth that much once or twice and then the aI doesn’t care any more. It’s because it can usually reveal a whole continent that way.

G
Who is going to pay an AI 40+ gpt to reveal a section of the map? If the AI values it so high, people will never trade for it, rendering it useless for the human (except for being able to exploit the AI).

Who is going to pay an AI 40+ gpt to reveal a section of the map? If the AI values it so high, people will never trade for it, rendering it useless for the human (except for being able to exploit the AI).

Not just a section, and entire half is usually what it goes for. I’ve only seen high values in that situation. If you make first contact with a new continent post navigation, this can happen.

The ability to buy nuke with gold is broken. Since AI doesnt know how to use nuke effectively compare to human. As a warmongering the game is pretty much over (if I dont lose before that) when nuke comes into the play because I can purchase nuke everywhere and nuke my enemies to oblivion. I think it should be removed, or only allow nuke to be purchased in cities with nuclear plan?

The ability to buy nuke with gold is broken. Since AI doesnt know how to use nuke effectively compare to human. As a warmongering the game is pretty much over (if I dont lose before that) when nuke comes into the play because I can purchase nuke everywhere and nuke my enemies to oblivion. I think it should be removed, or only allow nuke to be purchased in cities with nuclear plan?

I didn’t realize you could buy them with gold. That’s crazy.

What's even crazier is that the production to gold ratio on nukes is way off. It takes like 20 turns to produce a nuke (at epic speed) or around 2k gold to buy one. By that point if you want nukes it's almost always worth buying them. We've brought this up before in the nuke balance thread a few months ago. Are nukes really not intended to be purchasable?

What's even crazier is that the production to gold ratio on nukes is way off. It takes like 20 turns to produce a nuke (at epic speed) or around 2k gold to buy one. By that point if you want nukes it's almost always worth buying them. We've brought this up before in the nuke balance thread a few months ago. Are nukes really not intended to be purchasable?

Akkurat.

Finished my first VP game yesterday (huge map, epic speed, prince difficulty), Dido won, I received :trophy2nd:

A few things that surprised me during the game:
- Loss of all faith. I had Dido's religion (all cities were converted, and I was happy with Islam). Then I captured Bismark's holy city and my 20k faith was gone. Now I know this was by design... But at least a warning would help (something like "capturing this city will reset your faith, buy some GP first" :)).

- World map costs (discussed a few posts above). Catherine valued my world map for more than 50,000 (and that was in Industrial Era, when she should have explored most of it already), so I was able to trade it for 300gpt and all her resources.

- Endless golden ages. I was playing as Ramesses (no special GAP bonuses?), didn't have any GA-extending wonders, but had a lot of themed collections...So, expending Great Artist during golden age in the late game gave around twice as much points needed for GA, and before the game ended I had GAP stacked for 4-5 GA ahead. Starting from Modern Era this made all GAP-generating improvements & mechanics useless (Great Artists were doing all the work).
Maybe a cap would be appropriate here?

Endless golden ages. I was playing as Ramesses (no special GAP bonuses?)
The amount of GAP a Great Artist gives scales with the number of themed Great Works and also with Tourism output, IIRC, so Egypt, with their Burial Tombs and UA buffs Great Artists quite a bit, which means more Golden Ages.

As currently discussed in the quick question / quick answer thread, the fact that railroads are slower than roads does not make a lot of sense.

While I fully buy that "first trains were very slow", a tile with a railroad is an upgrade of a tile with road, and should be at least as good.
In RP, when there are railroads, there are also roads, so a railroad tiles should also be considered as a road tile.
So have at least the road movement speed.

As currently discussed in the quick question / quick answer thread, the fact that railroads are slower than roads does not make a lot of sense.

While I fully buy that "first trains were very slow", a tile with a railroad is an upgrade of a tile with road, and should be at least as good.
In RP, when there are railroads, there are also roads, so a railroad tiles should also be considered as a road tile.
So have at least the road movement speed.
It makes sense that it costs more, for maintenance. It makes sense that, for a while, railroads do not improve transport speed. And it makes sense that some resources get boosted by the railroad presence (can move heavy loads faster than carts, but not people or troops).

Maybe we should look into that Holy City thing? Capturing a Holy City when you already have a majority religion but you're not a founder shouldn't automatically make the new religion your majority religion.

Maybe we should look into that Holy City thing? Capturing a Holy City when you already have a majority religion but you're not a founder shouldn't automatically make the new religion your majority religion.

Yes, it should. That's the core mechanic, it's necessary for the OOP to function.

G

Top Bottom