Miserable Justinian(emp isolated)

Pengu

Prince
So, I like to do some relaxing emperor games now and then which aren't that hard.
But this game I started up was rough and I might lose this one.

I got Isolated on an island with a plain cow and crab in my starting town. Esp terrible with Justinian as leader. The surrounding area didn't really have anything noteworthy with bronze and marble a few cities away. 2 calendar resources on the entire island which had room for 10+ cities, but not high quality ones and almost no rivers and some desert. I thought I had to go for early codes of law to get a religion and go mono+monarchy to deal with production and happiness. I also built GLH to help with commerce as there was very little. I had to settle the marble city a bit away in hope to get some failgoild but 7-8 cities, mostly very close together was the limit as the maintenance would be too high. Then I felt I had to go Aesth to get some benefit from the marble and I also really wanted TGL as my tech wasn't that great.
Got som fgold from parth and built TGL. Music had already gone so right or wrongly I went bureaucracy and then straight for lib. I double bulbed edu from all the great scientsit I got and picked nationalism from lib. But time flies and I met the other Ai's and it wasn't pretty. I traded up to optics and will now bulb astro but sitting alone on the island with 9 cities a bit behind is rough and I dunno if I have a chance.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    89 KB · Views: 44
Hi Pengu:

Your game sounds interesting and I wanted to load it.

But when I do, it asks if it's OK to load Bug Mod 4.4 - which it's unable to do.

I have Bug Mod installed, but the default installation doesn't use a "Bug Mod 4.4" folder, rather it uses a "Bug Mod" folder. I tried various combinations of folder renaming without much success - I even downloaded the Bug rar file - there are several directories created with "Bug Mod" as the name or partial name as well as some info files, etc. So it's not clear that some sort of simple rename can cope with this issue.

Is there any way you can load the game so it's playable with a default Bug Mod install?

I had the same problem as hankinsohl trying to load the game.

Not too sure why you're taking Nationalism from Lib? With TGLight, you want Astronomy - or ignore Lib entirely and bulb Astro sooner. If you can't cottage and don't have access to tech trading early in the game to keep up with the AI, then you're pretty much banking on those juicy inter-continental trade routes catching you up.

Sigh, I don't know what's wrong with my bug mod :(
Works for me but not for others...

Trust me, I wanted Astro, but marble just sent me that road as I was desperate for failgold as I had no commerce or happiness whatsoever. Getting through metal casting+machinery+ compass etc would had taken forever with no commerce and no gold. Alos TGL helped me alot.
I was too late with lib so I had to take Nationalism and I could get the Taj as consolation.

Nothing wrong with your BUG mod, Pengu. You simply have the stand-alone (MP) version installed, as opposed to the custom assets version (SP) that most here have installed (in other words its installed like BAT or BUFFY). The SP version simply loads automatically when you start BTS normally. It's basically just "there".

The advantage of the custom assets version is that it can be loaded with or without a mod, so it is nicer for forum games or if you want to share/ask advice.

There is no issues having BUG installed both ways.

I was able to load the game fine, but then I have it installed both ways myself.

With iso games it generally best to beeline Optics>Astro with the GSs or Lib it...whatever seems more feasible. Generally Astro bulbing can be faster I believe in iso in most cases...then you just get those caravels out there and backfill. Trade routes are nice too. GLH is good to get early. Happiness can be an issue but sometimes you just have to deal with the smaller cities.

Thanks!

Where is the custom assets version?

I always try for straight astro on iso, but when there is no commerce or rivers or no happiness resources you just can't have too many cities cause of maintenance and they can't get too big which makes it harder to bulb and even harder to get any kind of tech pace. No forests either so no chopping out oracle for example. When marble is the only thing you got on the entire island almost, you better make use of it.
But sure, I am sure I could have gotten astro quicker, but just a pesky poor map.

Spoiler :

With mansa and willem on the main continent...

you can install either way via the BUG installer.

I thought the island pretty nice actually. I've seen far worse iso's. Happiness is always an issue in iso, but you just deal with smaller cities. GLH should make settling the island no problem at all. I think you may have taken some tech detours like Monarchy that didn't help you much. CoL one way or another probably more helpful here - either oracle or tech it. Might be able to get Colossus too. Music line may have been a waste here as well.

Now I remember. For some reason when I installed the bug mod certain icons didn't show like the open border icon on the scoreboard or the happiness or gold symbols in the cities. Same with resources. I just see the numbers in the city screen :(

I normally install Bug Mod using the "Single-Player (CustomAssets folder)" option.

After reading Lymond's posts (thanks!) I ran the installer a 2nd time to install Bug Mod using the "Multi-Player (Mods folder)" option. Using this option I was able to load Pengu's game.

@Pengu - if you're missing icons, etc., maybe try reinstalling Bug Mod. I think that the installer is smarter now and it cleans up previous stuff while installing to avoid issues.

Nope still no change :(
All abut the customassets folder it seems.
With the original folder the icons show but not with the one bug mod creates.
Also shows icons with the mods folder option but not the custom assests folder option....

Yeah, sounds like something is in conflict here, or you don't have BULL installed and those are BULL features you are describing..i forget.

I recommend deleting your Custom Asset folder...a fresh one will generate automatically. And maybe install BULL as well. I also highly recommend using BAT mod

there is no difference between installing it one way or another..the same features should be there...that is not the problem

With the original folder the icons show but not with the one bug mod creates.

honestly, i'm not sure i really understand his statement

Well this is a pretty miserable thread. (Ironic) It's turned more into an IT thread instead of a help me play the game thread. Unfortunately the game would not load for me.

I agree with the astronomy beeline. Isolated means no foreign trade routes so optics is pretty important. I would not worry too much about Mansa. Sure he techs fast but he pays little attention to military. A good GP farm or Oracle strategy will be key here.

Some pictures would of been nice.

Well this is a pretty miserable thread. (Ironic) It's turned more into an IT thread instead of a help me play the game thread. Unfortunately the game would not load for me.

I agree with the astronomy beeline. Isolated means no foreign trade routes so optics is pretty important. I would not worry too much about Mansa. Sure he techs fast but he pays little attention to military. A good GP farm or Oracle strategy will be key here.

Some pictures would of been nice.
If you run the Bug Mod installer a 2nd time to install Bug Mod using the "Multi-Player (Mods folder)" option, the game will load.

And haha about the IT thread :). I guess I'm perpetuating it.

In this game, what's a good target date for Astronomy.

I got side-tracked as usual into a tech spree - consequently, my caravels are out in 1200AD (astronomy on the way) only to find that I'm way, way behind in tech. Several AI's already have Astronomy, some have Liberalism, and some are probably even researching Steel.

Needless to say I'm bagging my current game (I like conquest victories and that seems out of the picture in my game) and am going to start over trying to get astronomy early.

It depends, but 500AD is a good target date...Optics sooner, ofc

Top Bottom