1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Missile Cruiser

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Flak Fox, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flak Fox

Flak Fox Radioactive Vulpine

Is anyone else a little floored by the fact that the Missile Cruiser looks more like an older (Soviet era) missile corvette or frigate than something that should be replacing a battleship (ie, AEGIS Cruiser)?

It's strange to me, especially since it's half the size of a destroyer...

agonistes, atomfenrir and MistyRonin like this.
  2. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

We aren't seeing anyone building battleships these days. Most modern vessels are DD or Frigate sized at best.

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Yeah, it's a corvette, not a cruiser. It's based on the Soviet-era Nanuchka III, which was an anti-submarine corvette.

It's true that most modern missile ships are smaller, and are destroyers or even frigates, but few are as small as the Nanuchka. And they aren't called "cruisers."

agonistes and Flak Fox like this.
  4. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

The tonnage of the American Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, 9,800 tons, is close to that of an earlier cruiser (Ticonderoga-class, for instance). And then there's the Russian Kirov-class battlecruiser, three times larger at 28,000 tons.

If Firaxis wanted to take a break from representing the Missile Cruiser unit with an American vessel, they could've gone with that one instead of the ill-considered Nanuchka-class corvette (670 tons). It looks as underwhelming as it is inappropriate for a Battleship replacement.

agonistes and Flak Fox like this.
  5. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Warlord

6. nukehumvee

nukehumvee Warlord

The missile corvette should have been a missile destroyer instead, it's the mainstay of a superpower's navy (only 3 countries operate any combat ships larger than destroyers). I'd choose an Arleigh-Burke over a Nanuchka any time.
    Speaking of larger ships, what about the battleship in the Information Era? I think a missile cruiser can act as its replacement.

7. Flak Fox

Flak Fox Radioactive Vulpine

Well giving how expensive it is to upgrade a Battleship to a Missile Cruiser (corvette), I can finally live out my dream of seeing Battleships continue passed the modern era :)

agonistes likes this.
  8. rpgalon

rpgalon Warlord

yeah, Brazil's Minas Geares are 70/80 combat strenght compare it with the missile cruise 70/85... but Minas Geraes cost 430 prod while the missile cruiser cost 680... is 250 extra prod cost worthy 5 combat strenght when attacking? I think not, but you lose the ability to produce the battleship when you unlock the missile cruiser.

9. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Prince

All the ships are way too small in this game. I miss Civ 3's gigantic ships that were twice as big as the tile they were on. I also miss cruisers being a separate upgrade path from battleships.

10. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

Firaxis has always focused on ancient eras and has always snobbed modern ones.

11. skyclad

skyclad Prince

Yes, so way do they keep adding more and more "modern" eras? I mean industrial, modern, atomic, information its too much when they feel so empty.

12. nukehumvee

nukehumvee Warlord

Because due to the rapid progress of technology, one modern "era" might have even more advances compared to one historical era. Our ancestors used muskets for hundreds of years but it only took us a decade or so to switch from semi-automatic battle rifles to fully-automatic assault rifles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.