Missing all city-states - help!

joehbright

Chieftain
I am making a mod, and I noticed in a recent test that there are no city-states anymore. I cannot figure out what has removed them! The last thing I did since I last remember seeing city-states in-game was mod out the default tech tree and kill off all references to the techs in other XML files, then set up a new tech tree. But I have not been able to find anything that appears to have made city-states impossible. Has anyone else here had a similar experience and found what caused it? Or does anyone have a list of what city-states require before they can show up in-game? The advanced options screen when customizing the game shows a slider with city-states available . . .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

did you delete all of the stuff in Technology_PrereqTechs too? it might be required that you rebuild that for your new tech tree

something to check when starting a new game, open up the tuner and look at the stuff being printed out. is it saying no room for x amount of city states 'bye bye!'. if so thats just the mapscript getting rid of city states because it decided there's no room

if not, use the debug or tuner to reveal the map on the first turn and check if there's any minorciv settlers on the map. if they aren't being created when the game starts but you can still set the option of how many might help track the problem down

Indeed there were no city-state settlers, and I discovered the reason was that I had deleted the contents of the table <Civilization_FreeUnits>, then added a free settler only for each of my new civs. So I added this back:

<Row>
<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_MINOR</CivilizationType>
<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SETTLER</UnitClassType>
<Count>1</Count>
<UnitAIType>UNITAI_SETTLE</UnitAIType>
</Row>

Problem solved!

Top Bottom