1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing Casus Belli

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Josephias, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

OK, I know Casus Belli don't make that of a difference on current gameplay (as either you normally tend to play a peaceful game and use them the least posible, or don't care being labeled a warmonger because, in the end your objective is to crush any player in the board), but I think they are one of these interesting features that might be refined in new game iterations (expansions maybe?).

Last game I was playing more warmongery (domination victory is still pending on my list, and Aztecs seemed ideal for that), but still i have instincts of peaceful roleplay-value player, so I was looking for which casus belli gave me the excuse to ***crush the enemy player and take his capitol and all his luxuries for my Tlatoani BWAHAHA***… err.. make a "targeted liberation campaign against one of the most evil world enemies" (yes, PR approves this second wording)

And I found a glaring omission in the Casus Belli list…
    Ok, I was planning to attack Scotland nevertheless. My units were already in place in the seas around their cities (first civ targeted to fall in the other continent), after having the concluding the campaign against the Spanish inquisitors (they killed one of my misionaries with an apostle ¡can you belive it!...) I cant' believe it took three turns of moving the missionary next to the apostle just to have the excuse for the religious war - casus belli was available earlier, actually, but hey, we're Role-Playing here.
    Back to topic, units were in place, and I was scouting what was the best way to reach Stirling with my trade routes and spies before launching the attack (Robert had just denounced me, so formal war was an option in any case) and then…
    ¡Pingala was taken off by an Scottish spy (captured and liquidated)!
    Great! So it was clear Scotland was a terrorist nest ready to cleanise… but...

Hey Where is the "War on terror" / "Undercover action reprisal" casus belli?

I find it is quite an omission not having a casus belli for this, both for gameplay (it would add an extra layer of risk/reward/options to the spionage game), and for RealLife reasons (not just due to modern day wars, consider WWI start was triggered because of this - Austria declaring war on Serbia due to an assasination).

With GS including additional options such as sabotage of dams leading to potential "civilian" damages, it seems this Casus Belli might have been interesting (if only roleplay wise… gameplay wise I think the warmongering (now grievance) reduction should be on par with holy or ideological war - it would be great it could be modulated according to the damage done by the spies, but it is posible too much coding for just flavour).

Have you found any other cases where you would like to have a specific casus belli?

PS: just declared formal war and went to conquer the Highlands. Saved when Stirling was at near 0HP. Probably no time to resume the game until the weekend ;)

TheSpaceCowboy likes this.
  2. Tobizi

Tobizi Chieftain

Well, for me that fits into a formal war you declare on an enemy civ. You don't like him, because he does bad things to your civ, okay, declare a formal war.
    For me it's more curious that you can denounce anyone without reason. I think you should need any diplomatic incident, like espionage or different gov or demanding stuff, to denounce someone. And that should have different diplomatic effects on other leaders, depending on their gamestyle and govs etc.
    Also formal wars were very common e.g. in Europe until the 19th century, hence war mongering penalties should be less for formal wars until industrial era, but high for surprise wars IMO.

Josephias likes this.
  3. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

But with a "good" reason for going to war, you get reduced warmonger penalties with a casus belli.

Something like a war on terror casus belli for a governor assassination makes sense to me, but it should be limited in scope like the liberation war. Perhaps lower warmonger penalties and you must return any captured cities when you make peace (so it couldn't be used as an excuse for conquest like the OP wants).

But I agree that denunciations should require a reason of some sort. The reason could be flimsy, but there should be one.

4. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Well, we have colonial war. Terrorists are usually from places stuck in the stone age.

We don't call it "terrorism" when the leader of a "civilized" foreign power has people assassinated. I think we have some recent real-world examples, sadly.

5. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Speak for yourself. As a Roleplaying type of Civ Player, I have found Cassus Belli very useful. Not in my current game, though, where I am beloved by nearly everyone ;).

TheMarshmallowBear likes this.