1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing faces when meeting a leader

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by Civ3Jason, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Civ3Jason

Civ3Jason Chieftain

I don't see this problem in the other threads, so forgive me if already talked about and I missed it. I've just had my laptop upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 and reinstalled my favorite game, civ 3. Got it working except for one strange issue. When I talk to another leader, instead of their face there is nothing but a black square. Does anyone know what is causing this and what I need to do to fix it? I haven't played beyond the first age but everything else seems to be working fine. Thanks!

2. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Chieftain

If you reinstalled from CD, try reinstalling again but to a custom location like c:\civ3 or something outside of program files.

But usually that problem manifests differently (save files and mods confusion). I wonder if it's a video driver thing? Usually if the art is messed up the game just crashes. The leaderheads in diplomacy are actually animated (-ish). I would suggest disabling or lowering hardware video acceleration as that has in the past fixed weird overlay video issues, but apparently you can't do that in Win10 anymore.