Missing Fantastic worlds scenarios

bob bobato

L'imparfait
I got civ chronicles a few days ago (actually, now-sep 2007- thats almost a year ago. Its amazing how long posts last on civ2 tech support). Three fanatastic worlds scenarios were missing. I was wondering if anybody knew where to download them (I know its probably illegal, but I DID pay for them, so in a way, I got ripped off).

No one seems to be posting. Dont blame them. But we need some sounds, so Il make a lot of noise.

CLANG,CLANG,CLANG WITH THE TROLEY!
RING,RING,RING WITH THE BELL!
ZING,ZING,ZING WITH MY HEARTSTRINGS,
AND I HAVE FORGOTTEN THE REST!

My only civ experience so far has been since buying chronicles, I guess I have been in the dark for years now. Thanks to civfanatics.com, I found out that my chronicles suffers both from no music and from the missing scenarios. I mailed 2K games support about both these issues, and got the following response:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for your email.

The original game was created over 11 years ago so in order for us to import this game upto today's current machines some parts of the game may have been sacrificed. With regards to the music issue however this may be a problem we can solve for you.

Before we look into your problem we require more information on the system you are running the game on. The best way to give us this information is to attach your Direct X information to an email.
To do this - Start menu > Run > type DXDIAG > click Ok, this will then load the Direct X diagnostic tool. Once this has been done click on Save information and save the Text file on your PC.

Now reply to this email with the file attached and we will look into the problem and be back in touch as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
2k Games Technical Support
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about anyone else, but sounds like rubbish to me: "parts of the game have to be sacrificed"?

There's nothing special about these scenarios that wouldn't make them work while others don't have any problems. And they take take up all of 5MB so that can't be a problem either. But well, I suppose that's the best support can do. It's not their fault either.

And they either didn't understand what you were saying about the music, or you didn't give them enough info. The diagnostics would be helpful in fixing any sound problems on your computer. It obviously won't do anything to bring back music tracks that aren't even on the CD.

Try to kindly explain to them that the music simply isn't there (preferably by explaining a few steps you took to find out), so it's a problem with their CD, not your computer.

You could even add links to the CFC threads in your e-mail...
Missing Scenarios: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=194114
Missing Music: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=203981
Unpatchable ToT: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=233203

Thanks for the information in the reply, checked the initial email I sent 2K and I guess I could have given them a bit more detail. I responded to that email and included the dxdiag information just in case there was some deep magic hiding the music tracks from every single software and hardware test I ran on the disks. So I'm hoping for some kind of response.

I have to say that I'm not convinced anything is going to be solved with this. And I'm not entirely sure I want to be separated from my civilization, now that I'm addicted. So the solution seems to be buy civ 2 from somewhere else and if I get the MGE edition :) for both problems else I'll have music and get the scenarios from other sources.

My main concern is that I am by no means the first person with this issue, and I would have expected 2K tech support to include some check for the music problem at least. So either they just haven't been given the information about this or they seem to be conveniently ignoring it. Still I do now have 4 awesome games with 4.5 expansions for not that much, so I'll stop complaining too loudly.

Well after trawling the internet I may have a plausible reason for the absence of these scenarios. At least more plausible than "parts of the game have to be sacrificed". From all accounts these 3 scenarios are the only ones (in MGE) that are based on other games. The only thing with this is that the X-Com franchise is owned by 2K games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcom). MOMs name is apparently owned by Atari (once again wikipedia), but that could be out of date. And MOO I didn't find.

Even if 2K games owns all these names, there may very well be legal reasons for them being omitted from the pack, I just wish they would clearly tell us the reason for them being left out.

*edit: I'm an idiot, going through the documentation installed into the directory, this time while awake, I found the section covering this:
"Please note that due to copyright issues, we were unable to include three of the scenarios from the Fantastic Worlds expansion pack."
Well lets hope the Atari release of civ 2 is the MGE (and if it is it contains these scenarios).

You'll have no luck on those three scenarios from T2. Personally, I'm glad I still have my original game discs to fall back on.

As regards the music, T2 won't do Jack Bleep. I waited for months for them to tell me they're passing it to the developers. I emailed the developers near a month back and got no reply.

If you want your game fixed, live in America so it'll be cheaper to harass Firaxis. Your other option is get the ear of a community leader and pray they use their influence to ask the question for you. Cos right now, you, a bunch of guys in the Netherlands, a few UK people, and I have all been hung out to dry by people more fond of your money than QA.

Sorry to seem so bitter, but X months down the line and still seeing T2 churn out the same tired answer is just really frustrating.

Here's a heads up on what T2 will send you in about 3 months time. Feel free to quote my Incident number, for all the good it does.

The Chronicles of Civilization [Incident: 070411-000107]

Subject
The Chronicles of Civilization

Discussion Thread
Response (Thomas Beach) 02/08/2007 01.06 PM
Hello,

The issue you are experiencinh has been passed on to the developers who are investigating it further. We can not gurantee that this issue will be fixed and can only apologise for its presence within the game.
This issue does ot take away from the actual gameplay and functionality of the game.

Ah so those soundtrack files missing is a known problem which isn't being fixed. How nice. :rolleyes:

I knew about the 3 scenarios missing because of copyright issues, the problem though like I posted in another thread is that I cant seem to get more than 5 scenarios out of 36 working at all... Same issue as with the soundtrack then I take it ? We are just plain screwed ? :eek:

We're screwed, and largely forgotten. I guess Euro customers just dont matter, wherever they turn :rolleyes:

Here is a link to the missing scenarios from civ 2 as released in Civ Chronicles, it includes xcom:
Civ.Chron.Civ.II.Missing.Scenarios.rar
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/233387670/Civ.Chron.Civ.II.Missing.Scenarios.rar

Top Bottom