1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing gold

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by Metrin, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Metrin

Metrin Chieftain

Well, well, well. We all know it: in ancient age we want to change techs with the AI. But wait: the greedy AI wants also gold for it! Alright, gold is useless until you reach repulic or monarchy; let it be then; But the question is: What is the AI doing with the gold? Trading with another civs? Putting research/luxuries on max? :confused: Anyone knows the answer?

2. _ghost_

_ghost_ Chieftain

the AI sucks in building terrain improvemnts. ...

then they also got military unit limit...
    and the research at the possible maximum.

thats it

3. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Chieftain

I'm pretty sure the AI researches max, and that's how they burn through the money.

Some of them also love to build temples, and those are a drain on the economy, too.

You can test if they have any net positive income by proposing a trade with gpt from them. If 1 gpt produces "They would never accept such a deal" that means they have no positive income. Sometimes you can play around and figure out their current income. Sometimes the "never accept" is a result of a broken reputation, but in my experience the AI won't have any spare income until middle ages.

4. Metrin

Metrin Chieftain

Would this strategy also work for a human? I mean, research to max, trade a tech for gold and so on... It would help a lot in the tech-run. Especially on higher difficulties.

5. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Chieftain

On lower levels you can out-research the AI, so yeah you can sell them techs and research at deficit spending and keep them poor to press your advantage.

On higher levels you generally can't out-research the AI, and it's hard to get good value trades for gold. However you can usually trade-broker between AI factions and stay more or less even in the tech race. But in the MA I can sometimes keep up with them in research if I want to, but usually my strategy is to suicide-galley the other continent and trade-broker my way through the late MA when the AI can finally cross the ocean and I lose my international trade monopoly.

But on any level I generally don't see the AI have any gold-per-turn to spare until late AA / early MA, so we're talking pile-of-gold trading.