Missing/Sparse Ressources?

mmeier86

Chieftain
Hi C2C Team,

I've just restarted another game of C2C, with Version 31, and encountered a problem I remembered from my previous stabs at C2C, namely (map) resources missing completely from the generated map. I like playing random maps, mainly using the Planet Generator script in the version shipped with C2C. I've now just played about 100 turns and just discovered the technology which reveals all the animal resources (you know, kows, sheep, horses, rabbits, etc.) and in part, they were nowhere to be found (and I mean nowhere, I used the World Builder to have a look at the map, Immense size by the way) while some others, like sheep, were placed just once ore twice on the whole map.

That does seem rather odd to me. Is that intended, did I do something wrong with my settings?

And, if it was not intended, how would I change it? I would just need a pointer where to look (a slighly more specific one than "In the map script", please. :) ) and then I would be able to do any needed changes by myself. I'm also not afrait of programming of programming or even stochastical mathematics of any level, having almost finished my master in Computer Science.
I would basically just need to know if I could easily increase the number of resources placed on the map, and perhaps a pointer at where to start.

So long,
Michael

Welcome to C2C.

The appearance or not of resources is controlled by values in the Assets/XML/Terrain folder, file CIV4BonusInfos.xml. The variables are defined in the Modiki here. If you come up with something better than we have we will use it. :D

Hey DancingHoskuld,

thanks a lot for that information! And I have been looking through the map script only. Whjich, in retrospect, was a singularly dumb thing to do, because having bonus information in the script itself would make sharing maps among different mods difficult.

I do currently have a plan forming in my head, especially considering that there seems so be a placement priority, where some resources might not actually be placed if there are not enough tiles. I would need a little bit more information about the actual bonus placement mechanisms, but I think I will do some number crunching to see what the actual probability of turning up for each resource is, depending on map sizes, and then throw some math at it to see if I can come up with a better parametrization than the current one. But I do not want to say that your values are bad in any way, I did not have a look at them yet.

The general goal should be for all resources to turn up at least once, right?

Wee like I said, thanks a lot for the pointer to the XML File (and for the pointer to the wiki, too), I am going to have a look at it soon and I am going to inform you when I come up with something decent.

Regards,
Michael

The general goal should be for all resources to turn up at least once, right?

That sounds about right.

However some resources on random maps are replaced with others, or should be. there is no longitude control on resource placement so you can get Kangaroos where you should have Deer and so forth. It is on my list to fix those.

:hmm: "Michael Meier" is it Halloween yet??:c5unhappy:

Luckily, I am living in Germany, so I do not get that one very often. ;)

That sounds about right.

However some resources on random maps are replaced with others, or should be. there is no longitude control on resource placement so you can get Kangaroos where you should have Deer and so forth. It is on my list to fix those.

Well, I think I am going to leave the actual placements to you and others. ;)

I am mainly interested in getting all the resources, and in some realistic numbers. Like, Uranium is quite sparse in reality (in extractable quantities, at least), while coal on the other hand is quite common.

I got the general feeling that resource placement might be a problem through the magnificient work you guys did on this mod, with the massive amount of buildings, many of them depending on whether a certain resource is present within the city radius.

In my last C2C game, about a year ago, that did not bother me too much, as I would just open the World Builder and place some missing resources. That is now no longer an option, due to the Immense Map size and the time it takes my machine to load it. into the world builder. But I can not get myself to play on any smaller sizes, as in a game like Civ 4, quantity, in any respect, is it's own quality. Which is why I have been returning to C2C often since about version 7 or thereabouts. You just got this one absolutely right. :)

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom