Mission: Pacifist Impossible

Nataris

Chieftain
I am really struggling to play Civ 5, Vanilla or CP, without every game resulting in me having to war against most if not all the other AI.

To set the stage a bit, I purposely started this last game with the sole intention of making as many friends as possibly, even if slightly at my own detriment.

I chose Gandhi and had 4 other civs on my continent. I did everything from giving resources and gold, settled minimum cities without aggressive encroachment, chose world Congress topics that would please them, and even go so far as to purposely down play my own progress as to not appear the number 1 favorite for any victory condition.

What did I get for that by the time 1800 ad arrived? Not much except being declared war on 6 times, being involved in every war that happened, and a ridiculous war monger penalty for basically defending myself and taking a few low quality cities of the attacker just so they would negotiate peace.

This has always been my biggest problem with civ. Warmonger penalties and just being treated like a terrorist while all other civs declare packs of friendship.

Is it even possible to play in a way where you become liked? Is this something the CP folks might consider working on more in some capacity?

I truly love civ 5 and even more so with this mod. But the one thing making this my perfect civ game is the ability to actually maintain diplomatic relationships.

I've heard the pen is mightier then the sword. But civ 5 would rather bludgeon you over the head with a rock then even entertain the thought.

Is there anything I can do here?

I am really struggling to play Civ 5, Vanilla or CP, without every game resulting in me having to war against most if not all the other AI.

To set the stage a bit, I purposely started this last game with the sole intention of making as many friends as possibly, even if slightly at my own detriment.

I chose Gandhi and had 4 other civs on my continent. I did everything from giving resources and gold, settled minimum cities without aggressive encroachment, chose world Congress topics that would please them, and even go so far as to purposely down play my own progress as to not appear the number 1 favorite for any victory condition.

What did I get for by the time 1800 and arrived? Not much except being declared war on 6 times, being involved in every war that happened, and a ridiculous war monger penalty for basically defending myself and taking a few low quality cities of the attacker just so they would negotiate peace.

This has always been my biggest problem with civ. Warmonger penalties and just being treated like a terrorist while all other civs declare packs of friendship.

Is it even possible to play in a way where you become liked? Is this something the CP folks might consider working on more in some capacity?

I truly love civ 5 and even more so with this mod. But the one thing making this my perfect civ game is the ability to actually maintain diplomatic relationships.

I've heard the pen is mightier then the sword. But civ 5 would rather bludgeon you over the head with a rock then even entertain the thought.

Is there anything I can do here?

I'm pretty sure you've misunderstood thing whole thing, the AI doesn't declare war on you because you're rude or because they hate you. The AI declare war on you because you don't have an army to defend yourself. The AI doesn't care that you have 20 warriors with gold to upgrade them to riflemen, the AI doesn't care that you're sitting on enough gold to rushbuy an entire army, the AI doesn't care that you're 10 techs ahead of them. The AI cares that at this moment your military score is pathetic, meaning they see you as easy picking.

Actually in my last game as Portugal I managed to do pretty much what you want, with the one exception of failing miserably in the Ideology department, that's another story.

You can avoid warmonger penalties if everyone else views your opponent the same way you do AND you are defending yourself.
In my game Japan and Inca were the aggressors and everyone hated them as much as me. I eleiminated Japan, except for one small island out the back of nowhere, and got no warmonger penalty or denouncements from the rest, even Inca.

However, as @funak says: you an't look like a patsy and expect them to leave you alone.
I've resolved to make as big an army/navy as the leader, even if I don't expect to use it.

I was top 3 in military and never got declared by the 1 or 2 civs stronger then me. So pretty sure that's not it.

Carthage, Arabia, Morocco, Greece, Japan, and Spain were the main civs I was dealing with that game.

It frustrated me to the point that I said screw it and won a domination victory.. After I got my revenge by nuking every capital in the game before conquering them..

I just wish diplomacy with AI nations was a little more peaceful. Instead they over react to all negative things while completely negating the fact that you just gifted them 10 gpt and a few luxuries.

Their needs to be more positive modifiers imo. And defending yourself against DoW shouldn't give you massive warmonger.

Carthage, Arabia, Morocco, Greece, Japan, and Spain were the main civs I was dealing with that game.

It frustrated me to the point that I said screw it and won a domination victory.. After I got my revenge by nuking every capital in the game before conquering them..

I just wish diplomacy with AI nations was a little more peaceful. Instead they over react to all negative things while completely negating the fact that you just gifted them 10 gpt and a few luxuries.

Their needs to be more positive modifiers imo. And defending yourself against DoW shouldn't give you massive warmonger.

Seems that new beta 02-17 is what you are looking for. However I don't see how can anyone enjoy in this game entire session without even minor conflict.

Diplomacy aspect of Civ V is bare bones(although it's bit better with CiV IV DF), if you take in consideration what it offers. I tried once this and I finished game without getting engaged into minor or big conflicts.

I had AI declaring war on me but it never launched actual attack and all those "wars" ended in white peace. However I was so bored with that even though I won a game with every civ at peace.( Well in the end they declared war because of global hermitage.)

There simply isn't any sense of accomplishment , I never feel like I am building an empire ( I do with JFD mods in combo with CPB but I am talking about pure CP+CBP experience) , it's like a board game where war is essential element for enjoyment, at least that's how I feel.

Senteliks, don't get me wrong, I don't want the game to be devoid of conflict. My problem is quite the opposite.

I do want minor conflicts and even the occasional world war. But i just don't like that most games seem to degrade into pure war almost pushing me towards throwing out my strategy and going for a domination victory. Simply because the AI wants to antagonize me to the point that I nuke every damn capital because they couldn't let a sleeping dog lay.

I just looking for a nice balance of conflict and diplomacy. When I finish my latest game I will update into the new version and see if that helps.

I believe the version I'm on now is from mid-late January.

I don't think you'll ever get a standardised level of warfare. If you understand it then you can manipulate it somewhat but there are too many variables to try and keep it on a constant level.

Your playing Ghandi as intended I don't see the problem here? :goodjob:

Japan and Spain are both pretty aggressive and the other civs are just bandwagoning because they want to be on a winning side.

I never took note. Maybe because I am usually maintaining my military power quite well and never really finished any CBP game beyong Reneissance era, lol.

Top Bottom