1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

missionaries

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by futurehermit, Jul 19, 2006.

1. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

does anyone else find it annoying that you can only build 3 missionaries at a time?

combined with the fact that they are sorta pricy, i find getting my empire covered in a religion to be a real chore.

does anyone have any tips?

2. Sliver

Sliver Chieftain

use them wisely.
    convert city the highest population you wants be friend othe civ
    Shortest city, if you produce them quickly

3. carl corey

carl corey Deity

Yeah, it's a bit annoying, but understandable too. Imagine having a holy city/holy shrine. What would you do? Build missionaries en masse and send them everywhere & anywhere for a quick cash boost! And instant culture/happiness plus the possibility to build religious buildings. Would be nice, but maybe a little too powerfull.

Oh, and tips? Wait for airport and then you'll have flying missionaries! :)
    More seriously: early cities with touching borders tend to spread the religion between them quite fast, so if you're not in a hurry wait for the direct spread instead of building missionaries.

4. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

I don't understand though about the cap on missionaries. I mean, the things I can do with military units are pretty insane, better than the 1c/turn provided by a missionary, and I'm not limited to building 3 military units at a time...

5. carl corey

carl corey Deity

Maybe it's to limit the effect of having an early religion? Say you kill one of your neighbours and steal his cities too, you'll have quite an advantage. Even more so against someone who has no religion and no religious neighbour. Maybe it was too much?

Another scenario: have enough missionaries ready, conquer a civ, and right away put your missionaries in those cities. Again, culture & happiness boost, plus wipping temples results in another culture & happiness boost.

6. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

You make it sound so easy, lol. I find missionaries to be a bit pricy considering the limited effect they have :)

7. carl corey

carl corey Deity

Hehe, I know... But honestly, I think late conquests would really benefit from this. Many times I took on a civ that had a totally different religion, and then had to wait to spread my religion in all the cities. I've had 10-to-20-turns late wars that got me a lot of cities, and then what do i do? Spread religion there.* It's clearly important when you're running on Organized Religion, you want theatres in there ASAP, or your (new) border towns might lose tiles to other neighbours. Maybe I should start raising "new border" towns?

If someone comes with a better explanation for this limit, I'll be happy to hear it. :)

*Edit: And it's not like I don't have enough cities who can build missionaries, especially when I'm on Organized Religion!

8. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

just chop/pop rush the theatre or else just continue on to conquer the city that is infringing upon your borders.

9. carl corey

carl corey Deity

Problem in late wars: nothing much to chop since the AIs have already chopped there; might not use slavery (due to emancipation or caste system); and conquering the next city might be hard if it belongs to someone other than my last enemy, since I might not be in a position to continue the war. I mainly like to use blitzkrieg, and then rest, heal and consolidate. Might be different in your case, depending on your strategy.

10. Veo

Veo Chieftain

Missionaries have a tremendous effect on some very important aspects of the game; Diplomacy (+/- relations), culture, income, expansion....

It always depends on your situation, but the wise use of missionaries over the course of an entire game may have a much greater overally effect on the game than a army will. Especilly on the higher difficulty levels.

11. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

If you can't chop or pop rush and can't continue the war, then you have limited options. If you're running caste system, then you can assign artists to pop/push back borders.

If you can't see any alternative, then just raze the city. I don't like to raze cities, especially if they're in a good spot, so I will usually think some moves ahead and only take the first city when I am ready to carry on to take the next one.

12. Naismith

Naismith Prince

I never seem to find myself in a situation where building missionaries is a top priority, so the 3 missionary limit rarely bothers me. In a recent game, I had no religion and had just taken the Jewish holy city. I burned a great prophet building the shrine there. So I had every reason to spread Judaism quickly. Given my tendency to cottage spam, I would have had to divert my precious few production cities from building military to missionaries in order to produce many in a short period of time. Not freaking likely. :lol:

So I had to build missionaries slowly. When you used 15 turns of production (on epic) to build a missionary and it fails, it just makes you want to cry.

13. Eggolas

Eggolas Warlord

Sometimes it's annoying to have the 3 limit. I play a lot on continents, so as soon as the wave of missionaries settle in AI cities, I'm building more waiting for the Galleon to return. If I have more than one religion, then I have two Galleons.

Without a limit, the failure to convert message loses a lot of punch, since you could just build a bunch and keep trying.

14. Andrei_V

Andrei_V King

Same with Spies. Things would be so much easier, if only you could build more than 4 of them at once.

15. carl corey

carl corey Deity

Way too easy perhpaps? :drools over unlimited spies:

16. PugFugly

PugFugly Chieftain

I think the limit should vary based on map size and maybe increased when the goverment is a theocracy.

17. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

The trick to using missionaries efficently in war is to get open borders and spread your state religion to the target cities BEFORE you attack. That way if you have the Holy City you can see where the enemy troops are and what they have in all their cities. Once you capture the city and it comes out of revolt you immediately get the benefit of 1 culture (not much but better than nothing) and if running Organised Religion an immediate 25% bonus to the buildings you'll be producing to make the city useful.

And all the time you're getting paid a base 1 gold in your Holy City for each enemy city with your religion. Hopefully you've built everything up to Wall Street to make that 3 gold per missionary. I'd say trading 40 hammers for 3 gold per turn and all those other benefits is an undenialbly good deal. Any compenatant warmonger needs to take careful notice of what religion can do for him and prepare his attacks carefully. Religion pays well in Civ 4.

18. Paradigne

Paradigne Emperor

In my initial sea exploration I like puting missionaries on caravels. If I find a new opponent, I'll open boarders, drop him off, explore a bit and merge him into a city. Thus gives me a birds eye view of what he's doing and gives a good chance to spread religeon on it's own.

1gp/turn isn't much, but if it spreads to 5 more cities, it can REALLY add up.