Missionary Positions, And Shrine City Love

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Nkat, May 5, 2010.

1. Nkat

Nkat Monarch

I Bulbed Philosophy and picked up the Religion and Holy City. I built my Shrine here. I then started to spread the religion via Missionaries. It was a slow process.... until I would just move them one space into the AI's territory and Gift them. By this method, Taoism spread to at least 2 cities every 1-2 turns. Also with the 3 Missionary at-a-time limit, having no turns from being built to gifting away sped up the process immensely. I ended up with +60 gold from the Shrine, added Wallstreet and gold buildings, GG.

Does anyone else do this, gifting of Missionaries? What are the pros and cons? I know it is useful when the AI is running Theocracy.

Your thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Revenant

Revenant Warlord

I think you pretty much summed up all the positives of gifting right there (build more frequent missionaries, Theocracy buster). Can't think of any negatives, but then I rarely found and spread religion so there could be something I'm forgetting.

3. drlake

drlake Emperor

I think the main objection to a shrine based economy is the opportunity cost. In the long term, you can make a boatload of money with one (such as yours) but in the meantime you diverted a lot of production to building missionaries plus the cost of the shrine itself (GPs are not free, after all).

4. Nkat

Nkat Monarch

I did go culture in this one. I tried the "Rainforest" map script which turned out to be Flat Grassland for my start, a lot of it. I put up Cottages all over. I had two great Hammer cities which pumped out the Missionaries heavily in the late game. 3 Culture cities, and about 7 Gold cities. With no need for a Military, a short Build Order in each city and the need to spread Religion anyways for the Victory, building Missionaries was no issue. The point of the Economy here was to run the Culture Slider as high as possible, which steadily increased as Cottages matured and the Shrine City Religion spread. It was a satisfying victory and a nice course in Great Prophets/Great Scientists and how to Bulb for Philosophy very early on in the match to get the Religion.

5. MarcoPollo

MarcoPollo Warlord

If you are going religious, then I think that the oracle is a pretty important wonder. It gives you the usual free tech (I usually take code of laws -- but sometimes metal casting). But it also gives you two GP points. If you build a temple or two, you can be turning out GP points 7 at a time. Early on this will get you your first pure prophet in 15 turns. Not too shabby to start the shrine economy very early. If you found code of laws with the oracle, then you can pump out another pure prophet and hook up the 2nd great shrine. Spam both religions and run your science slider at 70-80% and still have a "prophet". -- Bad pun ...

6. Silu

Silu Deity

There's a tiny extra pro in this: the gifts increase your "fair trade" diplo rating with the AIs. Ridiculously little, roughly equal to gifting :)hammers:-cost / 5) gold each, but still it's something :)

7. Nkat

Nkat Monarch

I will try this out. The Oracle thing first, and then make a Great Scientist, Tech up to Mathematics, Bulb Philosophy, bam! Two founded Religions. "Prophet" I like it.

8. Nkat

Nkat Monarch

Good point.

9. Quothz

Quothz Chieftain

The only negative I can dream up is that you no longer gain intelligence about the rival's land via the missionaries' visibility. It's pretty minor, but I can see a case for keeping a missionary under your control if you want to update your map. I think the advantages of giving 'em away nearly always outweigh that, tho'.

10. Clam Spammer

Clam Spammer Prince

Another added bonus: the AI pays unit maintenance on the missionary for a few turns instead of you.

11. Nkat

Nkat Monarch

Side-note: Do Settlers, Workers and Scouts/Explorers cost Maintenance?

12. Clam Spammer

Clam Spammer Prince

They do indeed. They don't cost extra under Pacifism like other units though.

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

This rule is much more interesting when it is applied to nukes. Supplying anal-rapage arms to someone's enemy offers...minuscule penalty. Ouch :lol:.

Post title is dangerously close to the threshold of "not family-friendly", as funny as it would be to have our younger audience discuss missionary positions. All of a sudden religion is exciting!

14. Quothz

Quothz Chieftain

:hmm:

15. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

We're not talking about ME, we're talking about the OP :lol:.

Since when was I purported to be family friendly?! That's a strike against my publicist.

16. SuperSatan3

SuperSatan3 Chieftain

Why found two religions when you can found 4? If you have a spiritual leader...
    1.) Polytheism
    2.) Masonry
    3.) Monotheism(be sure to settle your second City before you do this)
    4.) writing
    5.) build oracle
    6.) use oracle to Acquire Theology
    7.) bulb or research code of laws.

17. Nkat

Nkat Monarch

Thanks for answering. Yet another small detail to be remembered.

18. Nkat

Nkat Monarch

When you want answers, go X-rated. A Lutheran Minister taught me that.

CFC Celebrity TMIT you better start putting a disclaimer in your Tube video comments. Not just for the minor sexual references, but for the "Political Correctness" factor for that some gay people might take offense to "Settling on some beaver." Keep it PG or go XXX, there is no grey area.

Edited: Proofread by my Lutheran Minister

19. Nkat

Nkat Monarch

I will try this on my next Cultural game. If you do actually get all four religions, getting up the Great Prophets for the Shrines might be tough.
    Industrious Trait (50% faster Wonder Production) and/or having access to Stone and Marble would help. Maybe run Priests in your 3 Culture cities - you would already be building a lot of Temples anyways here.

Question: Would it be better to run a dedicated Great Prophet farm, or three cities with 2-3 Priets running? How would this affect the timeline of getting great Scientists for the early game, and then getting enough Great Artists in the end for the +4000 Cultural Bomb win ( learned that on youtube =D )? I was gonna mention something about loss of Production from running Priests, but Priests give Hammers and you can even buff that up to 2, so no issue here.

20. MarcoPollo

MarcoPollo Warlord

One thing about having too many religions is that your opponents won't have them either. This means that letting opponents have a variety of religions, means that you can have them war each other.

I suggest getting no more than two shrines up and running. The benefit of shrines increases the earlier you get them. If you are running a shrine economy with Islam, then you are using hammers for priest that get a return on their investment only after 60 turns. Better off just building wealth. But if you get them earlier, your game will last longer and your investment pays off.

For me, no shrines past Confucianism.