1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Missionary weirdness

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by CaptainPatch, Sep 19, 2017.

1. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

Came back for a Marathon/Prince/Enormous/Pangaea game to kill time until the next latest-and-greatest appears come Q1 of 2018. (I have a rather narrow range of genres that I actually like to play.) I founded a Religion before anyone else even started with pantheons. Converted all three of my own cities, and several in the surrounding area. But then for no reason I can see, my missionaries stopped being able to enter any CS or opponents' city hexes to get next to the city center to do some converting. VERY FRUSTRATING!

It may very well be that one or more of my @25 mods may have caused a lockout, but I can't see why. Why initially be able to enter and converts, but then entry becomes verboten?

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

That's the main trouble with mods, why I don't use them.
    They may not be the cause but will always get the blame and disable and keep playing is normally the best you get for bugs like this. Damn frustrating.

3. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

I think this is normal and expected - missionaries share the same border rules as military units and workers. At the ancient eras you can freely enter anyone's borders (the line is dashed). But as soon as they get the civic Early Empire, the border is locked for you units (unless you have the open borders deal).
    Only Apostoles can enter foreign borders without the deal.

4. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

Ah. That probably explains it. I did notice that the various cities had acquired a thick black border. (I hadn't recalled that happening when I last played about a year or so ago.) Not entirely sure, but it seems to me that even a couple of my Suzerain CSs were also denying my missionaries entry. Oh, and yeah, the situation kicked in about the same time that I graduated out of the Classical Era.

Thanks for the quick Reply! I will probably be able to sleep tonight after all!:lol:

5. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

This is not true; both Apostles and Missionaries ignore national borders.

This is the source of all the complaints about carpets of Religious Units. The only way to stop them is to physically block them with your own units.

Victoria likes this.
  6. Victoria

So I just tested... Both Mvemba and I are in the information era, not at war and my missionary can happily have a few bananas to eat of she so wishes.

upload_2017-9-20_14-38-10.png

7. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

Then it must have worked badly also for me, because I tried it few weeks ago and I could not enter enemy borders with a missionary. I dont build them too often to have better number of tests.
    What about Inquisitors? Here I am quite sure they cannot enter enemy borders.

8. Rosty K

Rosty K King

Without any mods they can. Well, I've never tried to move my inquisitor through the enemy territory (cause why would I need to do that?), but AI inquisitors are running back and forth through my lands (and get killed by mine occasionally) all the time, open borders or not.

9. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Inquisitors should need Open Borders. Although I don't think I've ever put that to the test.

10. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Inquisitors are so weak outside your own borders that whether they are allowed outside or not is irrelevant

11. Victoria

Tested, they go in quite happily

... unless you intend to take the city and then convert it. This is how I used to play religion and as long as they stay with another unit they are fine. Inside your borders they are the same strength as an inquisitor, outside they are -35.... often a one shot.

12. Rosty K

Rosty K King

Well, also you'll want to walk an Inquisitor with your troops if you are Spain, although in those cases Open Borders are indeed irrelevant.