Mississippi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple

woody60707

Deity
Mississippi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple
There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.
Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.
http://news.yahoo.com/mississppi-ch...ck-couple-205218322--abc-news-topstories.html

I have no words.

EDIT: let me add more. Some times I am one of those more moderate people that take the more measured position that racism sometime gets blow out of proportion to the reality. As a American with my American friends, this reality doesn't exist. I find it hard sometimes others Americans would ever view this as ok. Shocking would be a good word to use. I can understand when one of my friends doesn't want to good to this one movie theater because the type of "poeple" are loud, or getting scared of some type of "people" when you find your self in the wrong neighborhood. I can at least understand the logic behind it. This, in this age, I just can't understand it.

While I do not agree with any sort of exclusion based on race...

...can't people who object to this practice just find another church? It's not like their forced to go to that particular church. If you disapprove, go somewhere else.

See, guys, if you don't want to marry gays you won't be forced to marry them.

While I do not agree with any sort of exclusion based on race...

...can't people who object to this practice just find another church? It's not like their forced to go to that particular church. If you disapprove, go somewhere else.
Can't Chick-fil-a just open that franchise in another town?

I left Mississippi after college, but this is not the first time that a church has done that; just the first to make national news over it. There are a few churches (southern MS mostly) that won't marry black couples, there are a few churches (northern MS mostly) that won't marry white couples, and there a good number still that won't marry interracial couples. I won't say it's a good thing, it's certainly backwater, but the vast majority of churches (even in Mississippi) do not care about that sort of thing.

Long story short, go somewhere else and then tell everyone how screwed up that church is.

No big deal . . . no corporation was harmed.

Way to miss the point!

This is about consumer choice! These unfortunate consumers have had their freedom of choice unnecessarily restricted by the jack boot of go - wait, I think I'm confused.

A church?! A bastion of morality has refused to sanctify a union ordained by some gods in order to keep the human race off of the cliff-edge of extinction?

Color me surprised :rolleyes:

I would recommend nuking Mississippi, but it'd have no noticeable effect.

We have to just pat Mississippi on the head and kind of sadly go about our business. It's like having a ******ed younger brother. What are you going to do? ;)

In fact, we should give Mississippi a special exemption to the constitution and just use it as a honeypot to localize everyone who wishes it was the "good ol' days" into one voting region. We can offer to evacuate all of the non-whites and non-Christians first as a safety measure, and then just let 'em have at it.

Sometimes I do wonder if I would be happier in a strong state's rights version of America. I could just go to the bluest state and make the best of it.

How did Mississippi end up so awful.

No big deal. It is the churches right.

The fact that people are making a big deal about this makes me question the "A church wouldn't be forced to marry Gays"

I think the church is making a bad decision but if they want to practice a brand of "Christianity" that is exclusive and not inclusive they'll be the ones going to hell not me.

Woody why not just say these "people" like watermelon and fried chicken while you're at it.

The fact that people are making a big deal about this makes me question the "A church wouldn't be forced to marry Gays"

I don't think they will ever be legally forced to marry gays. I do, however, think that homosexual acceptance will eventually saturate the entire culture.

Top Bottom