Mississippi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by woody60707, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Most means more than 50%. To try to claim anything else is just more quite deliberate "dishonesty" on your part, as was insinuating above that I stated all Southern churches were.

"So in short, think before you speak."

Again,

"It is appalling that the most segregated hour of Christian America is eleven o'clock on Sunday morning…" Martin Luther King Jr.

Fortunately, that is no longer true even in the South. But it certainly was only 60 years ago.

2. cegman

cegman Scott Walker Supporter

Fine then you go tell your boss off for something she/he does that you believe is wrong with absolutely no preparation. He might not be able to lose his job at this time. I don't blame him. His family has to come first. Although I would hope that he starts tuning his sermons to inclusion and some of the great stories about Jesus and the Lepers, and Zacchaeus. Cause there is no legit reason for the church members to dislike this but Racism.

P.S. This is real racism not that political bs that washington politicians claim is racism.

3. cegman

Ok he was nicely saying you're wrong about most churches. Giving you a chance to back off. Now I'm saying prove it.

4. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

All he needs is a bald eagle avatar and you can sue him for trademark infringment.

5. Formaldehyde

I already provided quite convincing evidence above. If that isn't good enough for you, too bad. Unlike you, I actually lived in the South back then and I know from personal experience that very few churches were desegregated. The biggest exception would be the Roman Catholic ones, but there were a few others. And even many Roman Catholic churches were all-white.

And if you think that was "nicely saying" it, you are obviously being just as "dishonest" as Patroklos clearly was when he alleged I meant all instead of most.

6. cegman

Nope I think that he was nice in how he said it. I would have been much more obnoxious. It isn't dishonest. You can't be dishonest about an opinion. I thought he was nice you thought he wasn't that doesn't make me dishonest.

7. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Retired Moderator

I spent almost my entire working life as a soldier; that's why I have this attitude in the first place. Moral courage is ranked in the military as highly as physical courage: all the balls in the world are no good if you don't sometimes have the conviction to act first and wait to see if people will back you later, or to make an unpopular but neccessary decision. If I had led soldiers by consensus, I would have lost a lot more of them: indeed, for much of my career, it was my job to tell my boss when he was being an idiot.

Wrong eagle, I think.

8. Formaldehyde

Falsely calling someone a "bigot" for discussing obvious racism and bigotry, while even still deliberately mischaracterizing their opinions after the obvious error was pointed out, is "nice" instead of "obnoxious" to you? That is either an incredibly dishonest remark or pathetically inane.

9. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Again, I don't see how it represents a lack of backbone. He married the couple against his congregation's wishes.

10. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Retired Moderator

Yes, but he backed down in the face of their attitudes rather than challenging them, which I think would have been the correct thing to do. I don't think he was totally wrong, as I said, because he did marry them, but I do think he demonstrated moral cowardice there.

11. JollyRoger

Those that say I can't be moral because I am not seeking divine guidance, this kind of stuff kind of makes the point - if left to myself, I would never have thought that this kind of stuff was moral.

12. Formaldehyde

I agree. I think the pastor should have called their bluffs and put his job on the line. But that is easy for me to say. And it might very well could have meant he could no longer find any job in that particular sect, at least in that area. He probably did much to incur their future wrath by merely marrying them in another Christian church.

13. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

I came back to the thread to see if Forma had 1.) simply backed off or admitted he was wrong 2.) made any attempt to support his statements. He is 0 for 2.

I know, I am a glutton for punishment :)

14. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

The deep south is a horrible place.

15. DroopyTofu

DroopyTofu Double Bass Double Bass

Call me what you like, but I'm honestly a little curious how many black churches would have declined to marry a white couple. I think maybe it's more than most people would expect.

16. The_Tyrant

The_Tyrant Values Guardian

If this is what the church wants, so be it. Freedom of religion.

17. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

No. It is oppression.

18. Formaldehyde

I already showed I was right and you were wrong. Of course, I didn't expect you to realize it much less acknowledge it.

You haven't even realized your initial insinuation was patently false. That "most" doesn't mean "all".

19. JollyRoger

What good is religious freedom if you can't be racist about it?

20. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Well it would certainly help California's budget deficit...

#CaliforniaSecessionTalk:p