1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Missouri Panel: Illegal Immigration, Legal Abortion Linked

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Turner, Nov 14, 2006.

1. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

How is it faulty? There's a higher likelihood that poor people commit property crimes. By the way, it's "the aborted fetuses would have grown up in a poor background where there was a higher chance of them being induced to crime."

2. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Hey, haven't crime rates been falling since 1990? Thank you, abortion!

3. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Who is "defending it"? One said it made sense, one said the number of abortions could be shown to shrink the labor pool (try to PROVE that one wrong, eh), and I said it was plausible but would need to be studied at a university.

Nobody has said it's right and any argument against it is wrong. I see those statements as more giving it the benefit of the doubt and viewing it as a possible explanation. If more study determined the link to be a big pile of donkey doo-doo, so be it.

4. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

These people have taken ignoring reality to a truly impressive level...

5. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

But the rate of abortions don't outpace the birthrate.

6. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Ah - but that was Kansas, not Missouri.

Although I am rather depressed that politicians of the fine state I reside in can create such garbage as that report, at least it's not Kansas!

-- Ravensfire

7. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

If you can use that argument, then I can use the argument that if you abort your child you might be killing the next William Shakesphere or Abraham Lincoln. These are silly arguments, and they all cancel each other out.

Exactly. We're not condemning abortion based on this study.

8. garric

garric Emperor

Look, it's ridiculous to assert that abortions do not diminish the labor supply. A labor shortage invites illegals to fill the void that abortion has contributed to (not created). If 1.5 million abortions are performed every year, it would take only 8 years (if abortions were stopped) to spawn enough workers to fill the labor shortage that Mexicans have currently exploited. This is just fact. Don't try to spin this into some sort of pro-choice argument, because I'm in fact devoutly pro-choice and even I can concede that if you put one and two together you can see how this works. It's not rocket science. Here, let me simplify it.

We perform abortions, diminishing our population growth rate.
    A labor shortage is in effect, less people = less workers.
    A labor shortage invites illegal immigrants to do poor jobs.

Considering the fact that most of these abortions are perfomed by lower class persons and would be PERFECT for the industrial and low income jobs that Mexicans currently are employed under.

9. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

<sarcasm>
    Yes! I see it now. This is why millions are flocking illegally to the US! ITS BECAUSE OF THE ABORTIONS.

In fact, at lunch, I walked the floor of the warehouse I worked and sampled a few of the staff. Here are some actual quotes:

Another testimonial;

I could go on, as I had people clamoring to tell their inspired tales of abortion-fueled illegal immigration nirvana! I've been crying tears, TEARS OF FREEDOM, ever since.

</sarcasm>

10. garric

garric Emperor

If you're going to act like this and completely disregard what I've said (I didn't say Mexicans are coming here to have an abortion :rolleyes:) what's the point of replying?

11. adog

adog Prince

Yup, make abortion illegal and illegal immigration will immediately cease.

12. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

Of course illegal immigrants are not motivated to come the US because of abortion. It's all about the money. Having those tens of millions of aborted fetuses in the labor pool wouldn't make illegals any less desirous of an American job. But it might change the supply and demand. If those extra unaborted labor force members were willing and able to work (I don't know if this would be true or not), the demand for illegal workers might decrease, especially in the service industry where speaking English is valued. And if US policymakers and the general public didn't see such a shortfall in the supply of unskilled labor, they might be more serious about preventing illegal immigration.

Sarcasm is only good for knocking down strawmen...

13. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

Prove that a labor shortage is in effect, because I haven't seen anything that even says that it is.

14. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

Except statistically there's a lower chance of someone being the next "great mind" than being a petty criminal.

15. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Yeah, but then I'd have to hire 1 year old babies; they can barely shovel.:p